Mana cost for AA rez.. really?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Ylyrra-TP, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Mediik Augur

I don't think this change will ultimately affect my play. However, I'm still against this. Why not tell us the plan? A lot of these little changes seem arbitrary and small, but I see "death by 1000 cuts" scenario. One day you'll wake up and cleric is the same as druids the same as Shaman. All these little "perks"you thought you were getting from your class will be gone. All we want is explanation, rather than ultimatum,
  2. Gnomereaper Augur

This is a game development ideal that you want to have to make players "make choices." Magic the Gathering rotated away from sacrificing creatures as a straight payment to making it require a mana cost for an effect plus creature sacrifice since creature sacrifice wasn't really making a "choice."

I see it more as one of those thought leader things that goes around in game development circles. Historically, developers have hated mana free items and AA with a real passion.

1. It makes choices obvious
    2. Lack of scalability to continue the rise to a top

They're trying to create an Escher Staire Case for power level. Where some aspects of the game atrophy and others rise in power while decreasing power over the years.There is a shift in power level to conservative "saving design space" and worry about power creep.

The goal is to strip back power to give the illusion of power level, so that when you level you see bigger numbers and "feel more powerful" without actually increasing your power. The other aspect is to lower complexity, since complexity creates more problems with balance.

The issue with Everquest is that the original Vision of the game was severely flawed. Downtime in Everquest was always flawed and lacked scaling mechanics. McQuaid wanted mana regeneration and the like to increase socialization. He wanted a social game that forced people to be interdependent rather than independent.

The nature of the gaming with a dwindling population is that there's a need to go to the Escher Staircase model for power level. The appearance that you're going up in power, but you're staying in the same place with some tweaks.

The problem with Everquest has been historically bad design using design to force player decisions rather than informing player choice on the major decisions in the heat of battle.
  3. Roxxanna Augur

After many, many Raids running the gamut from total death zurg to flawless completion, I've come to the realization that this nerf is nothing more than a minor annoyance requiring not much more than an extra second or 2 for mana to cast. Annoying.