Making Progression Not Required On Release Then REQUIRING It?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by HeatherPurrs, Nov 14, 2017.

1. NeverPayForLag Augur

I don't know how people are doing XP or AA here. Sitting boxed in the corner of FM and auto-XPing and hoping for ultra-rares? Or doing boring HAs over and over till they are sick of it or they have automated it? Isn't that boring as hell?

The progression stuff in combination with all the quests are giving good xp/AA and if you are well equipped you can run through it in no time. Doing it now the fourth time for alts (beta included) as a simple grouper. It isn't that a biggy. And if you do Hunter Achievement for the bags then the gear comes while doing it and you will have many rotten stuff too. The Hunter is a big time sink to get the Named in the Missions/Heroes popping.But that and the real difficult missions are not needed for Essence of the Dragon and it seems that only a minor percentage of mobs in the most zones are Kar'Zok and can be avoided. Most of the items are prelootable but I think most will let them rot anyways.

I remember raiders complaining about things being always too easy going through. They will have exactly the mobs which are now hard if they don't do their progression - mission accomplished. Casuals/Group Players need to do progression to not get creamed but it is also possible for them with a bit more dedication. Now it is not possible anymore to tank 10-20 mobs without the risk having a Kar'Zok inside which smashes their little train. They now need to sort them out with proper pulling until they reached playing the game to the max. So the farmers for the ultra-rares will have it a bit less easy.

I would like to know how the solution for raiders, groupers, soloers, moloes, tradeskillers would be optimal in your opinion and how the devs should implement it? That would be perhaps something they get their ideas from and would be more useful.

Btw I don't remember any of the last expansions which didn't gave better XP in progression and quests than in simply killing endlessly only mobs.

To say it is worth the price is a personal choice. Sadly dev power is not there anymore and in comparison to older expansions the "price-worthyness" has dropped very much. 6 Zones only for 5 levels is a bit low. But everybody will buy it anyways only because of the level increase.
  2. Tucoh Augur

I don't mean anyone any offense, but as someone who has to do the progression on a bunch of boxes just because the green karzoks are in RoS, I really think people are overreacting to it and to the EoK armor requirement.
  3. Warpeace Augur

Its the new anti boxing code.
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Nah, it's not "anti-boxing" lol...
    And i have done progression for two chars on my main account and 5 on my main-box one as well as for several apps and guildies - more times than i care to remember.

It's not the progression per se people are complaining about, at least that's not my concern.
    It's rather the expansion-spanning precedent they're setting here that worries me and then some.
    Doing again and again and again, and even after release not seeing any "i can get out of here for good" isn't exactly good for people's motivations.
    If i had to go back and do TDS progression for EoK-raid-apps instead of doing that at my leisure, then this game would eventually become a job - one i do not need nor want.
    Same goes for the raid-flagging across expansions (but at least here i still have hope for ample EoK T3 backflags in RoS T1 chests).
  5. NeverPayForLag Augur

Exactly the opposite. With a box it is cake, with solo/molo (groupgear) it can be an issue but possible to make. As raider... cakewalk and homerun...
    Perhaps you can say it is more a anti-autoboxing-while-absent-from-keyboard-setup, but even these will be only some special cases dependent on the area.

Everybody expects a new expansion while it seems it is not a new one. It is only the missing part which would have been a new XPack if the devs would have more time/power to do like in older times. A proper expansion should have more than 6 zones. Since TBM we only get fraction-expansions.

So EoK Part II would be a good name for it - like always - name/linguistic matters.
    The only difference is now that we pay a good amount of money for it - I said it once - the most expensive game I played so far on the long run...

I thought so too that it is nasty to make TDS for orbs but honestly you only need some missions and somebody who has done all the stuff and you kick them through that material in no time. I did now TDS completeley with all missions, quests, hunter achievement complete in about 3-4 weeks for some alts. THAT needs a bit more time. But to give them access you need only a fraction of that. And it maxed out AA btw for the main without boring HAs or grinding the same mob until you transform into a trancelike oblivion.
  6. AnzoRagespirit Augur

I dunno why people are complaining about doing the EoK progression. I'm usually the type of person who doesn't even touch progression unless I have to, being a raider I needed to for EoK and to tell the truth it isn't hard at all. The hardest part is collecting the pieces needed for the Lab parts. And maybe factioning in scorched and even that's easy. And don't give me " but your a raider you can handle the mobs. I know alot of people who aren't raiders and did it with no problems.

Just do the progression, if you really want it done just focus on it and you'll be done faster than you think.
  7. Axxius Augur

"Being a raider" may have something to do with it. ;) If you actively raid in EoK, you should already have it completed anyway. My concern here is that Daybreak is screwing their precious casual player base.

BTW, the argument of "just stay out of Gorowyn, it's only one zone" is officially dead. The devs confirmed that access to VP requires completing all missions, including the Skyfire Kar'Zok Party. Any returning player who wants to see the new VP will have to complete the EoK progression.

If Daybreak don't change their minds in the next couple of weeks, it really is going to be "Come back to EQ and enjoy last year's expansion". And then you can go ahead and tell those disappointed people that "it isn't hard at all" and "you'll be done faster than you think".

More likely, they will be done with EQ "faster than you think".
  8. Scorrpio Augur

Seriously, EoK prog is quite easy. And taking additional people through it is not THAT bad. For solo tasks, people who already did those can re-obtain the quests - this greatly increases the rate of needed drops. If you have a task force with mages and wizards/druids, you can speed things up incredibly via CoH and ports. I.e. druid binding by quest givers in FM. I got my recently levelled mage through all of Lceanium portion in one evening.
    A few sticky points: drachnid caves for repellant step - can be rough due to insane repop rate, but with a capable chanter, can be done quite easily. Overseer in SW needed for centaur quest is smack in the middle of a bunch of unmezzables, but an FD puller or bard makes things easy. Lavabomb in FM is the example of antibox code if I ever saw one. You'll see what I mean once you get to it. Might want to ask a few folks to help with DPS there. For the SW centaur-badger faction swing, especially with chanter projected illusion, you should have good enough faction with one of them to get the quest - so you only need to swing it once. But I agree, faction grind can be quite tedious. I.e. after doing the centaur quest, my druid needed like 200 kills to get good enough faction with badgers with DE illusion. Pro tip: run over to badgers, target one, and do "/xtar add 1" to permanently put him on your extended target. No go killing centaurs, and you can check your faction without running over. Then do "/xtar remove 1"
    What scares me, and what I definitely object to, however, is the precedent it sets. If the EoK - RoS progression and gear dependency is a one-off thing, and next expansion we don't need anything from EoK or RoS, then I personally got no qualms. But if next expac requires going through both EoK AND RoS, that's gonna be ugly.
    And yeah, I am also doing TDS prog whih my box team - presently knocking out mercs on Thullisaur(sp), mostly cause I feel like it. I might at some point go and knock out group UF, HoT, VoA and RoF as well - cause I feel like it and have the leisure. But I would sure hate being restricted in some way from current content by some two-expac-old progression.
  9. Millianna Augur

No one is claiming it was hard. It’s boring and tedious time sink.
  10. Brohg Augur

It's not tedious, the many posts from folks finishing it in only several days are testifying to that.

It is not a time sink, the many rewards it both directly provides and tangentially contributes to make that evaluation patently false.

That you in particular find busting out 25 tasks to directly gather lasting power gains while opening up further content more "boring" than killing basepop for literal /played days is frankly bizarre, and certainly not a design concern. There's enough new basepop (mostly you get through like a dozen mobs before repop?) for you to spend another whole year on without doing quests.
    Belexes likes this.
  11. Millianna Augur

If it is NOT boring and tedious WHY do we have this thread? If it was such a great experience everyone would have done by now.
  12. Brohg Augur

Because you have repeated your poorly founded perspective in it thirteen times.
    NeverPayForLag and Act of Valor like this.
  13. Reval Augur

Specifically and exactly what Millianna just said. Do you get how obvious that is? You're viewing this based off of your experience, which is generally great, but try doing the progression on a group geared char on a server that you haven't played on before (because we want the game to be fun for newer players too, right?). You are blinded by your position Brohg. I know I'm a jerk, but I'm saying this because I've been blinded by my position in the past too.

The game should be fun for everyone. Not just me.
  14. Xnao Augur

I cannot help but feel the amount of time you have spent complaining on here is equivalent to the time needed to complete the progression.

Is the progression less tedious than repeatedly posting that it is tedious to an audience that largely disagrees with you?

True or False answer please.
  15. wingz-83 Augur

Remember when TBS was current and Arx was locked. People wouldn't go there because their friends couldn't go there because of all the flagging. It became a ghost town after awhile. People hung out in Brothers.

Now imagine that for an entire expansion.

As an addendum, are zones locked in and of themselves (like tiers..not able to get to tier 3 before 1/2 are complete etc) for this new expansion? Not to mention all the flagging for the previous. This would make this problem even worse spreading out people with endless flagging.
  16. Kakimor New Member

What is this the 10th? thread for people to moan, , and complain in. 50 pages worth at least. FFS people be grateful for what you are getting instead of sounding like a bunch of entitled, spoiled, children.

Reminds me of taking a class of 9 yr old kids to an all you can eat buffet and all 1/3 of them can do is complain about what it doesn't have or what they didn't get or what johnny got but they didn't. It is still hours and hours of cheap entertainment for $40 expansion cost + monthly sub. If you are not satisfied with your bang for your $ no one is forcing you to pay it. Worst of it is all it takes is one extremely vocal whiner/complainer to sour the experience for the whole group.
    Me personally I'm sick of reading/listening to it so I'm going to go back to skipping over and ignoring these threads that are totally lacking in any useful information.
    Astonishingly I am seeing almost no complaints about the amount of playable content. For all those "elitists" that make up at least 50% of the population I would think that would be #1 issue on their list. Most of them have all past expansion content done. Will have all of the new expansion completed within months, and all they have to look forward to is doing the same old stuff over and over and over for 6 to 10 months.
    All those people that haven't finished EoK or for that matter TDS and TBM have all those tasks, achievements, named etc. to look forward to killing. If trade skills are your cup of tea Artisan's Prize and getting trades to 350 or nearly so will eat up months of game time.
    Try showing a little gratitude for the fact that you have a game to play at all.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Personally, I thought EoK was a fun expansion, but I think it will be healthy for the game in the long run, if newcomers and returnees have an easier time to catch up to the rest of the server. Just look at all the requests for raising the heroic-boost to level 95-100.

Ideally, every expansion should have an "access-point" where people can start, that are not too far behind.
    It is true that if they don't raise the heroic-boost, then EoK will be an efficient level up path xp-wise. Getting a full set of selrach however, do take quite some time if you can't rely on rots(cause no-one else is in EoK), and is subjectable to RNG.

On the other hand, maybe these returnees/newcomers are supposed to be customers for the tradeskillers?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. Vanrau Augur

There is a raid merchant in the OT bank on beta that sells Velazul's raid armor for a new currency. I'm guessing this is the compromise.

And another merchant selling Selrach's.
  19. Warlain Lorekeeper

The people not upset about requiring previous content completion and gear farming to be able to do the new content are the ones that have been farming it forever. They don’t want you close to them from a content perspective. Personally I’d enjoy a few hundred more players on my server that can play with me in this new expansion. EQ forced out its playerbase exponentially with every expansion with these type of restrictions. It’s shocking how bad some of their ideas are for this game.

It’s also a bad way to attract and keep new, or more importantly returning players from catching up. After all getting players to catch up is the only thing that will keep this game going.

With the current heroic character good luck seeing anything in this new expansion before the next one is released, or the one after that.

Hint: beef heroic toons to lvl 95.... eliminate the need for EoK armor to get RoS armor ( or at least allow EoKT1 to count, the EoK progression AoE shield is something I find to be a different style of zone keying system that I don’t feel I should that bad of an idea, but maybe the effect should be used down to be an anooyance rather that death.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and noclue like this.
  20. Vanrau Augur

Ya now we can do group missions in RoS to buy Selrach Armor and do Raids in RoS to get the Velazul's Armor.