Making money with Tradeskills on Coirnav

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sillyfish, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Sillyfish Elder

I like making things, so I always love bashing about the profession systems in various games. However, I don't like leveling up a profession and not being able to make any money from it.

i'm wondering how long it'll be before I would start seeing profit from the following professions:

Tailoring
    Baking
    Brewing
    Research

I like the idea of Tailoring, but how viable is it to actually sell stuff? I mean, right now I thought to myself "Hand made backpacks! Surely people want those." Except nope, because you can just use Medicine Pouches which are even better, since they can hold GIANT items instead of Large.

Baking looks interesting, but with the server being only a couple days old, how many people are going to be spending platinum on buff food?

Research looks awesome, but until 25 my druid can't start.

Thoughts?
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

Right now the most profitable skill is going to be blacksmithing for banded mail, then later for Fine Plate. I was going to rush it over the weekend to farm some krono from the server as I don't plan to ever play there, but I just did not care enough to. It's easy to do in Freeport if you know where the materials are, and farm a bit of plat to rush it.
  3. Sillyfish Elder

I love metalworking irl so thats great to know. I read race/deity matters for cultural stuff. Is wood elf druid gonna be ok to level smithing on?
  4. Guzzle Augur

Tailoring in Velious is especially nice to make $$ on. Blacksmithing on a druid is fine, you'll have plenty of cultural opportunities.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

Any character is fine to get to fine plate (you gotta do it fast, it's a short term return, like super short). If your druid is a Karana worshiper, you can make some crazy arrows for rangers....but that won't become super relevant until Velious, at the earliest.
  6. Darchias Augur

Blacksmithing is just good for the short term rush (though Banded and Fine plate do continue to sell all through Classic, the profit margins become really narrow.) The real secret to making scadloads of cash is Research. Magran Sfire, on Agnarr, made sixty to seventy krono just during classic, and twenty-to-thirty more during Kunark. He spent a lot of time researching, granted, and Coirnav's relative lack of popularity compared to Agnarr means that the business might be slower, but Research is so complex and time-consuming that competition should be low.

You don't even need to be an INT caster, since Research basically stops making money in Luclin and you only need to get above 200 skill for 55+ spells. Being a druid actually helps a lot, since Magran (a Wizard) did a lot of deliveries and could charge a premium for rushing important spells to people in the middle of LGuk groups.
    Rulu and Fhiele like this.
  7. Chatoyan Elder

Unless you're going to put in the effort to be ahead of the curve (that is, among the first 1 or 2 people selling item <x> on every expansion launch, when profit margins are highest, the best way to make money on trade skills is to sell the materials, not the finished product.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Just buy an re-sell krono
    Items as well if you know the market

Can make 1000% more, don't have to farm anything. :D
  9. Green_Mage Augur

Pottery and research were worth it. But they took out Golden Idols and now everyone and their brother is trying to compete for the research market. Jewlcrafting is probably your best bet -- just another reason to be an Enchanter.

Coirnav tradeskills are never going to be what they were on other tlps. Tradeskills only work when you figure things out no one else has the time/commitment for very early on...Everyone knows whats up this time around and the profit margins are going to be lower along with the customer base.
  10. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

I'd go crazy doing that. I'm willing to barter, but I generally hate trying to "play the market". I'd rather just get in the market while the reward : effort/time value is high and sell things at whatever the going price is. To each their own!
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I see what you think...... that the traders are watching a screen all day that makes sense.

In that event yes it would be a complete waste of time.....
  12. Wolrok Elder

Ignore the posts about needing to rush smithing. Everyone has done that so competition is insane right now. Nothing like seeing people sell banded under cost.

This will die off though, and then people will still be looking to buy Fine Steel and Banded throughout Kunark. Only reason to rush now is because vendors have hundreds of rusty weapons to melt down.
    Rulu likes this.
  13. Nuther Augur

Ask Melian in game for bows and arrows. Skill 102 as of today.
  14. snailish Augur

Tradeskill made gear being flagged "attuneable" would help make this aspect of gameplay a bit more worthwhile.
    Rulu likes this.
  15. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

Would be a pretty cool idea IMO, but probably too large of a change to classic.

I really wish they'd get a single server stack that runs a TLP version independent from Live (like test is) and make a TLP with a bunch of different balance changes like the one you just suggested. #changethemeta
  16. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

JC, it can be leveled very cheap and will be great demand espically early on. Sells for a long time as well. Resistance gear is needed and it will be easy think gear for a long time. You will make plenty of money back.

Spell research is also easy once you get recipes down from eqtrader and in fact easy enough to make your own spells and be self sufficient until your lvl 40 spells. Get those hide drops from goblins in OOT.

Tailoring with Wu s armor will bring in plenty of pp too and if halfling, will make plenty of bags later. Also added benefit for shawl quest grind on trade skills later.

Food will also turn a profit in the future with Misty thickets.
    snailish likes this.