Make a server where only 1 log-in per account is allowed.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 28, 2020.

1. Overcast451 Augur

Norton 360 gives you 5 computers for $70.00 a year along with the Anti-Virus. Not promoting it per se; but it's not expensive at all.
    Accipiter likes this.
  2. Dingodog New Member

So you want them to model a server that will limit income......sure that would go over at the next meeting lol.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Strawberry Augur

No you can't.

ISP do not just let consumer change their IP address. The privilege to do this is reserved for company lines which you probably can't afford.
  4. Scipio5 Journeyman

You can pay for additional IP address. It's true. Though it's also a bad reason not to try to have this utopia of a server. Some people will always skirt the rules. That's what active enforcement is for :)
  5. Strawberry Augur

I checked the option to have multiple IP addresses with my local ISP.

For that one has to change their line to a corporate line.

Prices start at $300 per extra IP address, per month.

Price for a static business IP address (that does not ever change), is $1000+ per month.
  6. That0neguy Augur

Wow you really are special aren't you? Your modem can 100% have multiple IP addresses but I see you found that out already.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Haha, yeah maybe. But since they release TLPs in pairs, they could release a more forceful single box (or 2box?) server and a Rizlona like server simultaneously.
  8. Strawberry Augur

Let's go back to what you said shall we....

You said

"I can easily have Comcast (or any other ISP) configure my modem to hand out 6 unique IP addresses"

this is not true for multiple reasons

1) this is not possible with consumer modems
    2) this is a privilege reserved for corporate lines, not consumer lines
    3) this is very costly

You claimed this was "easy" for anyone to do with "Comcast".

I doubted that, because I know it is not possible with my ISP.

A quick search on Google shows you are wrong, and only corporate Comcast clients are allowed to do this, not consumers.

[IMG]
  9. Dominate Augur

This is why we can't have nice things.
  10. Strawberry Augur

If ISP just allowed consumers to have multiple IP address on the fly and everyone was able to pick and choose their IP address...there would little point in buying a VPN service for most people.

You can keep repeating that anyone can just have 6 different IP addresses, but it's not true.

Yes, corporations can do it, and it costs them a lot of money, but not regular consumers.
  11. That0neguy Augur

Let's go back to what you said....

Oh wait you edited your post so you don't look stupid. Too bad it was already quoted.

I can see the University of Google is still churning out high quality Alumni.
    Yara_AB likes this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

I did edit my post. Because I first gave you the benefit of the doubt thinking you weren't so uniformed and simply confused a local ethernet network with a Level 3 ISP connection.

This later turned out to be false, you weren't confused, just uniformed, so I edited my post.

In fact I will repost both my unedited and edited post for you again, just to make sure everyone can read both posts.

I stand by both posts, both are factual.

What isn't factual is your suggestion that a consumer can easily have 6 IP addresses with Comcast. Not only do consumer modems not support that, it is reserved for corporate clients.

13. That0neguy Augur

Except its not. You standard Modem actually has 2 IP addresses all the time. A Private adress (like 10.0.0.1) that the ISP uses to manage and connect to the modem, as well as a public address (like 72.0.0.2). Throw in a modem that is also a Digital Phone and you get even more IP addresses. Add in a modem that supports VPN's and you get even more.

So no, your statement is not even close to factual. I guess I have no idea what I am talking about though since my standard. I should go tell my netgear modem that has multiple IP addresses on my regular consumer Comcast account that it cant do that.
  14. Strawberry Augur

Many modems actually do not have an IP address. Modems often act as layer 2 devices.

A modem receives 1 IP address that connects you to your ISP. We generally call these Level 3 connections. They actually connect to an internet exchange most of the time, a TRACERT shows me connecting to AMS-IX.

Modems can also maintain a local network, but that is a discussion not related to this thread.
  15. That0neguy Augur

Layer 3*
    Fixed it for you. I am glad the school of Google is still in session during this times. While you are learning about how networks and modems work you should google the OSI model so you have a good foundation of something you are clueless about.
  16. Strawberry Augur

You don't need to fix anything, I was correct. They are LEVEL 3 connections just like I said.

The post you just made probably ran through a level 3 connection, not layer. Level 3 connections is the large backbone that developed tier 1 connections.

Almost all fiberglass connections in the US run through level 3, they were the largest CLEC in the world at one point. If you connect to an ISP, 99% chance it runs through level 3 lines.

Comcast you keep mentioning, it uses level 3 for all its connections.

[IMG]
  17. Creedmonk Augur

you two should kiss.
  18. That0neguy Augur

God I just can't help myself. You are so entertaining.

Comcast doesn't use Level 3 for any connections because Level 3 does not exist as a company anymore. They were bought by Centurylink years ago.

No one refers to connection between your modem and your ISP as a "level 3 connection".
  19. Laronk Augur

You can just pay for a business connection and pay to have multiple static IP addresses. The setup isn't too technical and most people would be able to do it with just googling. You wouldn't even need multiple lines.
  20. Laronk Augur

It depends on the ISP, because of monopolies some parts of america its super expensive