Main healer for group

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Sup Rog, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Sup Rog Elder

How much better are Clerics at healing in groups/missions/named than a Shaman? Is there content that is much easier with a cleric? I don't care as much about kill speed, as surviving and being able to take on tougher named/missions easier. Is there a big difference in survive ability with a real cleric healing a box group? Assuming both had max AA. Main tank is an SK, with all CoV raid gear. Thanks!
  2. Conq Augur

There is no group content in era that cannot be main or single healed by a shaman or a cleric. Shaman just have slower cooldowns on some group heals and less "oh crap" abilities. How much better are clerics in the same content single healing a group vs shaman? Cleric is ezmode in any group content, made even easier with a quality knight tanking. Shaman is almost as easy, less so while dpsing, and can be downright challenging if leading the dps parse while single healing the same group.
    Conq
  3. ptah Augur

second what Conq said above.

If you looking for what is difference? I would say largely hp beef of others, we all SK raid is a superstar in group content, but how about those others? if answer is projects, then clr maybe saves the day 10% more often. If they are all raid box/bots, well the clr going watching youtube.

Outside of 1 man team, the shaman offers more dps, and more cc options if that even needed with SK beefcake johnny.

Any questions, reread Conq guild to crushing content in any era. Sidenote, merc option is possible but so are blow dolls.
  4. Alnitak Augur

SK with CoV raid gear as the MT ? Hmm, usually a healer merc is enough for tougher missions with AE like Sleeper's Tomb, and can do without a healer in missions like Zlandicar and Aaryonar (if the group is strong enough).
    Generally, though, shaman makes group's dps higher, while cleric boost the tanking ability. Healing is about the same for a steady grind, clerics can heal better in tough situations.
    I've seen a shortage of shamans on raids more often than a shortage of clerics.
    Overall - with a very few exceptions either class will heal fine.
  5. Sup Rog Elder

Just wondering if grouping with a cleric healer would make the missions/named etc., easier to do. I've kinda been exping older content and wanted to step up to tougher stuff, but boxing missions etc, doesn't seem too easy(I kinda have a hard time boxing lol). Was wondering if having a cleric would make it much easier to do, than having my shaman. My tank is Raid geared, but other toons only group geared for the most part, minus some weapons etc. Don't care about kill speed, just more survive ability. I do love my shaman, they do so much, but didn't know if the healing would keep up with the new zones, mainly worried about my group with AEs etc, over the my tank.
  6. Crystilla Augur

Your shaman will have "slow" which is a huge benefit on tough named, etc. but if you already have slow covered elsewhere, then here's my thoughts. Note that I'm a cleric and haven't rolled a shaman higher that level 88 so can't speak to which will do an easier job on healing. But I believe it is a cleric. I do use my cleric for pulling and DPS and healing (and crowd control if our chanter isn't in group) as she is my main. If you already have a shaman and are considering a cleric, test the shaman out before you decide on rolling a cleric. I do offer a TON more than a merc cleric, but they can be great supplements to a shaman healer as well if you don't have a full group of real players.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Sometimes the cleric is better, but usually the shaman is superior. They're also more fun to play by a lot.

It's hard to recommend a cleric as a second box, and the shaman is arguably the strongest box for an SK.
  8. Sup Rog Elder

I do love the shaman and in a normal exp grind setting, I would imagine they are much more useful than a cleric. I just look at the cleric heals and think that it would be so hard to wipe, with a cleric healer. Shamans do pretty good healing, but seems a cleric would be much safer and I have plenty of dps with my group. Not really looking to speed up kills, just be able to do harder named and missions. I have a BL or chanter on one account for slows, but I don't see slows really doing much on higher mobs to be honest, but that's just eyeballing it. I don't like mercs at all, they all seem to stink. If I was a better boxer(Mike Tyson), I would probably not be so concerned. Just wanted opinions on how much more survivable it would or wouldn't be with a cleric over a shaman.
  9. Tucoh Augur

What else is in your group?
  10. Sup Rog Elder

I have an SK, bard, beast, ranger, rogue, mage, enchanter(same account as beast) and shaman at 115, that I can choose from. SK has pretty much every BIS gear for CoV, so he is a good tank. Others have the important slots raid gear.
  11. Crystilla Augur

I think the
    I think the question was around - who are you using in group as you listed more classes than there are group slots.
  12. Sup Rog Elder

I vary the group all the time, to get them all exp. If I had a cleric in the group, I would probably do SK, rogue, ranger, bard, cleric, mage or beast. I can buff the group with my shammy and chanter.
  13. Tucoh Augur

You'd be fine either way, but cleric would probably be an easier healer to defeat heal-heavy encounters with. With a cleric against damage-heavy encounters you could solve most (not all) problems just blindly spamming Word of Greater Rejuvenation. Shamans have to get a little more precise by leveraging their incredible Synergy + Swell combo.

Alternatively, you can do what I did this year and swap out a DPS for a paladin and keep your shaman. That gives you an impressive assortment of healing from two characters who can also bring DPS. My current "main" group is war/brd/ber/sha/bst/pal. My bst shares an account with a mage which is superior in some cases.

With that six-boxing setup with raid gear most of your challenges will likely be due to not using your team to its fullest, which we can help with!
  14. Heatwave Journeyman

I been gone a while, but unless things have changed... a cleric spamming Remedy > Remedy > Remedy on the knight, or a shaman spamming Reckless > Reckless > Reckless... either way, the knight going to be then triggering 100k+++ heals on themselves AND group when hit by your quick heals, from either class.

The times (in group content) that you need the 'extras' that a cleric can bring... activated AA, etc, is far, far less than 1% of the time.

The times when you'd wish your group had more dps (especially with a raid geared tank) will be... well, always.

Shaman brings great DPS when super healing isn't needed. Cleric brings crap DPS. The choice really is that simple, in my opinion.
    Annastasya likes this.
  15. Crystilla Augur

Things have changed a little bit on the DPS front for clerics - though since we aren't a DPS class, we're always going to be behind on that.

I will say I love my 3.7 million crit nukes on Turn Undead AA (and I'm not even maxxed with the DPS aa's for it yet) and I love getting 2.5+ million crits on the Eradicate Undead spell (forgot new name as it's a bit weird) which can be chained with the prior level's version for basically no downtime. Magic nukes are still in the 250k-300k range for the most part. But again, DPS AA's aren't maxxed yet.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  16. Szilent Augur

in testing, 4.6M Destruction crits so far, still 41/44 Destructive Fury, 34/36 Divine Avatar, with no ADPS.

3.7M TU sounds like ADPS was involved. TU does okay dot damage on top of the hit, but the nuke portion is expected to be under half an Extirpate Destruction. But it is at least reliable, since…

Extirpate still feels like a trap to me. If one doesn't hit the 12% Destruction chance then it's lower dps than Contravention, 1.5s cast for 33609 base dmg vs 1s cast for 38978. Made worse by Destruction blocking more Destructions for 12s, so the cle is barred from ever getting double-lucky with Extirpate even if the nuke is twinned.
  17. Crystilla Augur

I suppose it depends how you look at it. Since clerics aren't supposed to be a DPS class, I don't play the game of what's the best DPS lineup given it's not my primary role. As I'm also the puller and partial healer for the group and also play our enchanter on my other computer/laptop, I have room for 4 nukes (2 are interventions so I don't have to switch targets and 2 are the Extirpate and it's next lower version OR the two magic nukes which I chain nuke without much of a downtime). Not having to switch targets like I would if I included contraventions is worth it for me. But my point is still valid, given a few years ago when the person I replied to had last checked, cleric DPS has taken a step in the positive direction.

I can't remember if you were with us in the Dead Hills raid days, but while still doing my healer role, I managed to land on the parse fairly often (when things went right with the raid; when they went wrong I was 100% healer). But there's a brief time period clerics could unload. That doesn't say much for the actual DPS classes I know, but that was a different time.
  18. Thraine Augur

shaman are amazing boxed classes, but nothing can heal like a cleric.