Mag's beam kiteing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Booger, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tegila Augur

careful on that limb you gonna fall. this happens more and more maybe not where YOU go but it does on more and more servers in more and more zones. the issues are taht people are exploiting server lag or unintentionally (but still repeatedly) causing it to interfere with other players, and that its done in CURRENT expansion zones not 4 5 6 year old zones. no one cares that mages can beam except maybe the wizards who got nerfed years back for their beams, what we care about is the lag they create in current zones a lot of people are trying to quest and kill in, and that some of these people (not all) are exploiting that lag to pull even more with less risk
  2. Ceii New Member

It does, however, interfere with kiting, root rot, root nuke, etc.
  3. Sinestra Augur

As was already explained, not all mobs need to summon so just avoid mobs that do.
  4. Dexar Elder

On FV server there are 2 level 100 SK/Mage teams that disrupt Grounds 24/7. If you get lucky and one of the teams isn't there, the other one is.

They pull the entire zone including mobs already engaged by other players. The SK will pull his train right over the top of your group until you leave the zone. When Grounds became a hotzone it was level appropriate for my Bard and Mage, but playing there even just long enough to kill 5 mobs for the daily HZ task was impossible.

I petitioned many times for this and absolutely nothing was ever done. This is the problem. When someone disrupts a zone over and over, at least give them a 7 day vacation from EQ to think about it!

I have a Mage and an SK that I love playing. I personally don't want to see any class that can kill multiple mobs nerfed. Taking away abilities from an entire class is not the answer. Punishing anyone that engages in zone disruption is.

There is really no excuse for them to do this. In grounds for instance, they could turn "mashing pumpkins" instances and leave the regular zone to the regular groups. Is the HZ bonus so important that you need to disrupt the whole zone? Very selfish. When I headshot with my 95 Ranger, I always do it in an instance, or totally unoccupied zone.

So please, nerfs aren't the answer. Following through with the existing rules against zone disruption is. One warning, then a ban imo. Let's leave 'making new laws instead of enforcing existing ones' to the US government. After all that is their thing. :)
  5. Sinestra Augur

That was the same problem the old hotzones had with Feerrott, only instead of mages and SKs it was rangers and zerkers. None of them could be bothered doing instances. Good players and good people do their swarming and the like in empty zones and leave or adapt when someone comes in or they do it in instances.
  6. McDougal Augur

I don't know about P'l alts. Most of it I see are P/l business's . I don't remember seeing it much when I played before. I remember Shakerpaging got nerfed pretty fast. Sometimes I would see Bards afk kiting a room for days which was annoying if I needed a quest mob there. Don't even remember HS at all.
  7. Dexar Elder

And imo, the players that did that in Feerrott should have been warned and then banned. Why is it that good players always have to get punished in order to stop the bad actors? I think most people are aware that currently in this game, the only way you will ever get banned is if you use VMWare.
  8. Ceii New Member

It appears zone disruption would happen less often if instances had:
    1. Respawns.
    2. The same XP bonus as the open zone.

#2 is tricky though because the whole point of hotzones is to get players to gather, not to partition them up into instances.
  9. Dexar Elder

First off, even if instances didn't exist at all, there would be no excuse for zone disruption.

1. Respawns. (imo, this is a lame excuse. Make some hotkey macros and you can turn these faster than you could ever get respawns in the regular zone. I have done this a lot with my ranger in Tosk)
    2. The same XP bonus as the open zone. (This should never happen. As you pointed out yourself, it defeats the point of hotzones. I look at this as a trade off for the faster, yes faster, spawns you get when you turn instances.)

My previous post gave me an idea for how to deal with these zone disruptions. Imagine the following scenario:

/petition Sir Jackwagon Trainalot is pulling the entire zone and disrupting things for the rest of us. Please do something.

Hello this is GM Igunna Donoting I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with zone disruption, unfortunately we can not do anything about it at this time.

/petition I also heard a rumor he uses VMWare.

Sir Jackwagon Trainalot has been banned from the server!
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Sinestra Augur

1. No need for respawns. Quitting out and regetting the instance offers you a full respawn faster than any normal respawn could give you anyway.

2. Instance versions do actually offer the same bonus experience according to those on here that have actually tested it. It's been discussed for years.
  11. pewpewpewkittens New Member

wrong
  12. Sinestra Augur

I'll test it later on my own, but literally 20+ people on the boards have disagreed with you. You'll excuse me if I don't take your limited word for it. Regardless, with the speed at which you could get respawns you would far surpass any experience bonus from a hotzone which isn't even double and often instances have higher ZEMs than static zones or at least they used to.
  13. Xequecal Journeyman

Beam kiting isn't done by lagging out the zone, it's done with an enraged pet and silent casting. You pull 500 mobs, sic your pet and swarm pets on the train, they'll enrage and stop taking damage, you hit silent casting not to get aggro and vaporize all the mobs with beams before your pets die.
  14. Slasher Augur

Think before you speak please it helps. Do you see a difference yet ? Probably not that requires common sense. No Melee are swarming current content. Do you see the difference now ?
  15. Filatal Augur

Yes, many people have thought that. Devs have said it doesn't work that way ( within the last 2 months, I'm just too lazy to look it up at the moment ).
  16. Sinestra Augur

But also agreed that ZEMs are often higher.
  17. Cicelee Augur

The worst thing about this thread is that the OP talks about magician beam kiting, which turned the discussion into zone disruption and such. Reason why it is the worst thing is that it isn't necessarily magician beam kiting that is the issue; rather it is the player who is creating the zone disruption that is the issue.

But it is trendy to choose the "flavor of the month" class in the EQ community and argue/complain/cry about whatever class ability/spell that class is doing to mass gain XP. Whether it be ranger headshots, or SK swarming, or <insert class and class ability/spell> ... the focus seems to always be the class and the ability.

But that is not the issue. The issue is the player. And when we can start having threads about Joe Schmo running all around Grounds, killing lvl 85-93 groups by training them with 100 mobs and causing the zone to lag out... then we will see the real issue.

I am a magician. Not once have I ever beam kited for XP. Have I gone to grey con zones when no one else was there to mass kill greys for some TS drops back in the day.... sure. I remember needing stuff from hobgoblins in Plane of Nightmare, so I would go in and beam all the hobgoblins. And if/when I ever decide to work on slayer, I am sure I will find some lower level zones and beam there to rack some quick mass kills.

My point is that you should not hate the class, you should hate the player. And this is where SOE and GM's and such need to do a better job of policing the game and getting rid of the player who trains others in Grounds, or the player who monopolizes all of Feerrott which does not allow others to complete necessary quests, or the player who lags out a non-instanced zone which causes disruptions.
    Dexar likes this.
  18. Marton Augur

This.
  19. Piemastaj Augur

8 month reply, the suspense was killing me.

Anyone can swarm around. If you can not you are simply bad at this game. What most Mage's who beam kite are doing are LAGGING zones. Which is a form of exploiting the kills.

Again people are trying to nerf a class instead of SOE monitoring the people doing this and banning them. SOE should punish the people lagging up zones.
    Rashari and Zalmonius like this.
  20. Drathos_BotS Elder

So should they ban the SK's and others lagging the zones swarming? Just curious and no I don't play a mage and the big Warrior Swarm fun of shakerpaging was nerfed long long ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.