Mag's beam kiteing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Booger, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coruth Augur

PS Monks shouldnt have surprised me in 3rd they had under 7250AAs to get vs say hybrid or pet class being close to 10k.

A monk who gets 10 AAs back in VOA is basically equivlent to a Ranger getting 15AA
  2. Qundo New Member

If you're old, forget about it, you need to also play Battlefield and Call of Duty to have the key/mouse skills to pull this off. I would compare beamkitng with 2 monks doing pvp, just to give you an idea of how fast you need to work.

I tried this out in BD first, pulling around 20 mobs. Died 5-6 times before I got the hang of it. No mercs, no pets. Just pull, make a nice chase ball, stop, turn, beam. It's basically the same as snare-kiting, but it is faster, and way more risky. You hickup 1 second, boom! you dead. You look from the wrong angle, and they catch up to you, you're dead. Pee break? Forget about it.

Just gathering 50 mobs to make a nice chaseball of anger takes you 10-15 minutes. Then you start to nuke, and it is an ongoing nuke nuke nuke fest for 20-30 minutes until the last mob drops. Compared to a dedicated group with a puller and tank, you NEED to pull around 2 mobs per minute spent just to match them, 3 if you want to sleep with a smile...
    I proceeded to Evantil and kited around 40-50 mobs. Dropped me 8-9AA (I'm 100 mage / ~4k AA) in around 25-30 minutes work plus a ton of diamonds ofc. I had a group of 5 to share with. I couldn't talk in grp while pulling, they were bored out of their wits.

As long as beamkite has unlimited targets, and as long as it is possible for the mage to outrun his pulls, then these are mechanics of the game, and are not an exploit - if you think this is as cozy as doing a druid 4-mob kite, think again.

What I will say is that utilizing 150 mobs pulled to slow them down, THAT is an exploit, OR, a sign that the servers need more RAM or higher CPU power.

This technique is just as viable for 1 mob as for 50. I did both, just to make sure I wasn't lagging down the server. They never appeared to slow down due to server lag, but I didn't pull all the mobs.

SUPPORTING THE NERF
    I support those that say "play nice policy" - be nice to other players. Lagging down the server to make it unplayable for others is no cool. Almost no kids play this game, most of us are grownups who know the difference between beeing a and not. Don't be a .

I also support the halls of honor fix suggested by someone - make it so that max XXX mobs chase you, after which they start to pop back to their spawn locs. This should apply to all zones. I believe 9 is a low number, but hey, 9 whites, alone, in 40 minutes? That aint bad either!

I also support those who say "if you nerf this, then you also need to nerf rangers and SK's". Hit mages only and not SK's? They did hit wizards, was that before or after SK swarming? Ranger headshot craze?

Lastly, while we all scream about the poor wizards who were nerfed, possibly also mages for beamkites, pause for a moment, and cry "FIX MONKS" - they bring F all to the game atm, they have zero utility in groups and raids - make them happy, please, my heart bleeds for them!
  3. Jonny Panic Augur

Is the OP certain they haven't confused Mages with Wizards?
  4. Explicit Augur

Mage's beam has unlimited targets -- very easy for training entire zones and lag-swarming.

Wizard's beam has limited amount of targets it can hit -- in theory they can probably lag-swarm too but it's nowhere near as efficient...so it just flat-out doesn't happen.

What we can take from this thread is that since devs are ok with lag-kiting/swarming/whatever, they should let wizards have their unlimited target beam as well OR they should do something about their servers where this kind of lag doesn't happen anymore (this isn't a nerf, it's a fix in it's purest form)
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Hatsee Augur

Well this is old.
    Axxius and Sinestra like this.
  6. Jonny Panic Augur

Ah, I see.
    I just don't hear any mages offering PL on my server. Wizards, yes. Mages, no.
  7. Tegila Augur

wtf? JP you must be blind our server is wretched with mage beam pl sellers
  8. Falos Augur

Oh god why did someone bump a several month old thread, are they slow?
    Axxius and Sinestra like this.
  9. Rainbowdash Augur

Mage beaming sucks. Terrible return for terrible kill method. Just xp normally. Or *GASP* group!
  10. McDougal Augur

LOL I don't know but one or two people dividing up a zone and lagging everyone else out and keeping them from finishing tasks sucks. YMMV but it is just zone disruption. I can and do work around it but I feel for the people that are level specific for this content.
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

From the mobs' perspective they do this why? They really hate you but they're tired?
  12. silku Augur

We've started seeing it on the rathe quite a bit too.
  13. Filatal Augur

Other than causing zone disruptions, I really don't care about any mass kill method. But trying to downplay beaming as bad xp is just silly.

For RoF launch on my server, the first people to level 100 were 1) a mage beaming Windsong instances, 2) an SK using her ranger alt to help PL her in Sepulcher 3-7) my extreme dps group flipping CoB instances. The mage beat spots 2-7 by over 12 hours.

It is extremely good xp. That's why Plane of Shadows and Evantil are such a pain to do quests or hunt in on several servers.
  14. Anuulified Elder

SK Swarm kiting is normally done in expasions that are 2-3 years old, as your average Sk cant produce enough DPS to do newer ones and have mortal coil proc in time. I would even bank that current raid gear Sks wouldn't be able to "swarm" in ROF, maybe pull upto 10 (that is a stretch) but in doing so burn all their discs and require healing towards the end if not during. Also Sk swarm kiting can be and often is zone disruption, just as much as mag swarm kiting is. If you are in a zone by yourself, I don't see that you are disrupting anything, but the second someone comes in to level, quest, etc... have the common courtesy to either move or tone is down a lot as to not lag them out and/or prevent said quest from being accomplished. Aside from a few classes, most have a way to easily kill lower level stuff, decapitate, headshot, pure damage casters (their dps often kills mobs in 1 or 2 shots), etc... It's just how we do it that is a bit different. The only "nerf" I could possibly see to mages is limiting the number of targets they can hit with beam because we can't fix that "lag" issue when you pull so many.
  15. Dantibus New Member

You don't have to "fix" the lag issue. Simply give a few mobs at random the ability to summon @ 100% health and give said summon a 15 or 20 second cast time and maker it uninterruptable. This gives players who may be pulling mobs to a group a chance to do so while getting a mage or anyone else kiting mass mobs around splatted in fine order... Done, fixed~ kthanks
  16. Cone head Augur

Class Envy Thread.

I am going to go out on a limb and say this is so rare, you will have a better chance of getting a free power level from 1 to 70 in a day that you would see mages beaming in a fashion that disrupts the zone.

Piestro,

Please read your post on class envy, then look at the OP’s one liner.

This issue is so rare you will find more of any other class pulling en-mass that you would Mages Beaming in this fashion.

I say, lock and move the thread and don’t waist any more time, resources or money on this issue.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This isn't about nerfing anyone this is about getting the zones fixed so players can play properly.

Player A doing 1 thing so player B cannot move needs to be fixed. They need to update the zones so that all those mobs being on agro does not create lag so NPCs and players cannot move
    Rainbowdash likes this.
  18. Toquillaw Augur

They start to go after a fresh kill, but see there are a billion other mobs pulling, so they go back to their camp spot with the expectation that one of the pullers will bring it back to camp? :p Frankly, I don't care if the mobs are for or against zonewide lag until they pay their share of Gold subscriptions.
  19. Ceii New Member

You people calling for an end to pulling mass mobs scare me. Pulling mass mobs has been in the game since the beginning, and a primary tactic for powerleveling alts.

Most modern MMOs do try to prevent such "unconventional" tactics and instead force everyone to play the way the designers originally intended. I'm glad EQ hasn't been like this - its one of the things that makes EQ uniquely fun to play.

Fixing zone lag when someone pulls mass mobs would be great. Preventing people from ever pulling mass mobs would be tragic. Just because you can't or don't want to do something doesn't mean it should be removed from the game.
  20. Sinestra Augur

Making mobs have the ability to summon does not interfere with mass pulling so there would be no conflict.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.