Mag's beam kiteing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Booger, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falos Augur

I actually strongly encourage and welcome a dev to load up a mage on beta go to the heart of fear *better exp than evantil if you're good enough*, activate a JT buff on themselves (risk free beaming) and round up / spawn 60ish mobs (it only takes 40-45 to trigger rubberbanding but most mages will pull a little bit past that) and then calculate how much exp it nets them. Considering the dev account likely wont have artificial things like fellowship exp or RAF bonuses padding some agenda I think the devs will be pleasantly surprised that the exp isnt some "extreme" number like so many people make it out to be.

Realistically 3 *really good* pulls is a fair number to aim for per an hour but i'd say 3-5 would be around the average range.
  2. Sinestra Augur

Wasn't there a video posted on this already? I don't remember how many they got during the one pull though.

I don't think swarming is an issue, they should just send people on a vacation that do it in live zones.
  3. Bluejaye Elder

well let's see ... you started https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/pet-tanking-raid-mobs.2514/, which quickly devolved into calls for nerfs. then a slew of other similar threads got started, all of which got locked for calling for nerfs to pets. guess what? we got nerfed, and tanks got the boosts they need. not just mages, all pets across the board got nerfed in all content. then you add things like:

"Gets kinda old seeing 'omg its just envy' every time someone brings up a legitimate concern...the concern here being that group mage pets basically annihilate group player tanks in all aspects of the word 'tank'."

In a thread that’s already called for mage nerfs. You do a real handy job of making sure you explicitly state you're not calling for nerfs, which is why so many of the posts around yours are deleted because we don't buy it. You won't be happy until any fool that rolls a tank is better in all situations than the best geared, most skilled mages. But hey, you're not calling for nerfs. Make tanks gods and keep pets the way they are.

Mages have been down this road so many times before. You can pretend you're not fueling the class envy that leads to all the carp about pets being so OP compared to real tanks. Or that mages have more dps than tanks. Do you know we have heals? I'm surprised you haven’t tried to get them nerfed as well. Oh wait, they already suck.
  4. Explicit Augur

Aegis was broken and you knew it, I knew it, everyone else knew it. What they did with it was overkill but it's long past the point of argument.

The amount of assumptions and cherry-picking in your post is insane. Read the rest of that "group tanking" thread, then come back.

Let's see here: I mentioned that it's a nigh-impossible feat to boost group players without turning raid players into gods, something that should not happen. I've actually said this same thing multiple times in multiple threads, a few of them having nothing to do with your precious babies.

Mages more DPS than tanks? Gee, I wonder why -- they're a DPS class. I've stated that I'm a tank, I should not also be DPS. How did you even come to that conclusion?
  5. Nanvel New Member

This is coming from a mage, all I am doing by replying to this thread is to show my concern as well. Please do something about this. FV is bad enough with it's own powerleveling but it is very frustrating with the swarming zone disruption. Sony please do something about this as I am even losing my interest in logging in anymore. The lag is bad enough it feels like I am playing some crappy Korean F2P game.
  6. Piemastaj Augur

You have been one of the most vocal anti-mage people on these forums over the last year. The Magicians in your guild express this further also since you can't stand another guild relying on pet tanking and catching up to your guilds elite status for your server. You can look an 99% of threads involving or talking about Magicians and your name is there trying to 'help' the situation.

Aegis was not broken, it was mitigation for AEs during raids. Which is exactly what it helped on. 7-9 hits (pretty much 2 rounds) every 36 seconds is not OP.

People don't cherry pick for Mages? Hahaha. We are probably top 2 for cherry picked things amongst classes, maybe even number one since we have multiple areas to cherry pick from.

Everyone here understands you are a Mage hater, wish Piestro would do the same. But until that happens I will see you in the next 5 Anti-Mage threads that will shoot up in the next 3 days. You are consistent.
  7. McDougal Augur

LOL It wasn't too many years ago that they would have took down the servers to fix these kind of 'features' . There is a reason they are allowed.
  8. Explicit Augur

My guild's "elite" status? Please, we both know raid content has been easier than ever -- there is no race to the top. Oh and hey, it's no secret I'm not exactly fond of Infinit/Public raiding but that has nothing to do with mages or mage pets despite what you claim "magicians in my guild express" -- my guess is you're referring to Voragath, who's been less than pleasant to me long before I ever started posting here. There's no way you'd reference Jalany (rofl) in any fashion, at least I'd hope not.

Unfortunately, for some members of your class, it is impossible to drop the "woe is me, I'm a mage" card. This crying foul every time some perceived slight is typed has quite thoroughly run its course, players are starting to realize it so more threads are springing up -- this has nothing to do with me.

For the most part you're a rather coherent poster, why all the absurd accusations? Have you ever tried to talk to me about any of these issues in-game or via PM? The answer is no and if you have, you'd likely find yourself surprised.
  9. Brogett Augur

Well you're own presumably low-biased figures said 3-5 beams per hour is average, so say 4. That means 60% of a level per hour (more or less equivalent to 80AA IIRC). Still massively ahead of a what a rogue would do, and yet they nerfed our assassination as it was considered too powerful. It's also way under what other people are reporting for mages, so I suspect you're underplaying it somewhat.

I don't know what the mages I knew beam kiting had regarding RAF and fellowship bonus, but obviously it was without lessons as they were doing this multiple hours. Even with those bonus though it's still considerably ahead of what melee can do, so it's tiresome to keep parroting the same thing over and over again - that mages deserve this in order to catch up with melee. It's just plain wrong and you have no idea how we compare, really none at all.

The whole "we need them for grey con mobs" had me chuckling for ages. You're your own worst enemy when such weak excuses come out. :)
  10. Ardin Elder

You are right, mage's pet and ds is more than enough to farm grey cons.
    I don't find any reason to defend beaming, other than defender's ability to disrupt zones for others and get insane amounts of xp for mage and his group. Limiting beam to 8 targets is enough to stop this disruption, without hurting other mages.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Booger Elder

its very interesting to see what was said in the 1st few pgs of this thread vs the last few pgs in regaurds to weather this was even possible for mages to beam kite at all to yes but its not good exp to no we need them for grey conned mobs to we need it to keep up with SKs rangers rogues and zerkers mass killing for exp
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

limiting beams to hitting 8 mobs would not stop people from pulling large numbers of mobs to 'lag-snare' them, like Druids pulling more than the 5 mobs that their AE hits (but they have real snare).

It would just slow down the whole process, making the zone disruption last several times longer, making up for those who quit doing it. There would still be massive trains lagging the zones and nothing would be solved.

Mage beams are not the problem, mass pulls by the 'flavor of the month' lagging the server is.
  13. Booger Elder

just make beam spells give no exp .
  14. Ardin Elder

It would slow down this process to the point that regular xping could give better xp. And because you could kill some mobs earlier, rest of them could kill you in "no time".

Yes, you are right, but noone is expecting them to upgrade hardware or fix this ancient code.
  15. Piemastaj Augur

Not absurd accusations, there are threads proving my point. Fairly certain you are in the majority of threads involving Magicians and our pets. And 90% of the time you have a negative connotation towards my class. An absurd accusation would be saying you like that Mage pets can tank.

People are now realizing that Magicians can tank current content like they have been doing for years? Generally I give the general population more credit then that but to each their own.

You're yet another Warrior with a chip on your shoulder about Mage pets, and let us know it in almost every thread about Mage pets. Your own guildmates echo your Magician hate as well, there is not really anything to discuss b/t us. Now if you actually expressed positive things about my class like I do for yours there would be something, but until then actions do speak louder then words.
  16. Sanh Elder

Ag
    Agreed. Such a simple fix. Yet not applied and this circus is allowed to carry on.

Being able to beam 8 mobs is very generous.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Explicit Augur

Clearly my hatred for magicians is so strong that I needed to go out and recruit 4 of them just to show them how much I hated their class. Believe it or not, I am fond of mage's quite-high burst and sustained dps. Again, perhaps if you've been speaking to Voragath at any point (via mage tower or whatever), then I can fully understand why you view things the way you do -- there was one mob we banned pets on (Lord Vyemm) and this was while we were learning it. Two mages in LU threw quite the fit over this -- Jalany and Voragath, Jalany more-so than Vora (I believe he was likely just echoing "her" concerns). I believe Cicelee was around during this time but he is a much more reasonable individual and, imo, a better mage.

I said, in the other thread, something to the degree of mage pets out-tanking group tanks (which I also admitted I only had anecdotal evidence and had not hard-tested myself). It is later revealed in the same thread that the tanks claiming this are likely under-skilled, so there you have it -- my argument is moot and I've admitted as such.

Beams? Why even bother going there, we're both wrong no matter how many different ways we try and argue it.
  18. Cicelee Augur

I think it would be super awesome to get back on the original topic of group tanks and their strengths/weaknesses instead of bringing up Magician Earth Pet Tanking Thread #754 of 2013.

It appears, at least from several, that group tanks when fully geared in appropriate level gear/augments and appropriate AA can handle current expansion content. I would conclude, therefore, that it comes down really to two things:

Skill and Laziness

Skill can be a combination of class knowledge, quick and effective reaction to situations, and character management and development.

Laziness is just that- some are perfectly content to /attack on and wait till the mob dies. Or if the character dies, then come to EQ forums and complain that they cannot tank current content.

Those that take the time to acquire knowledge, gear, AA, skills for their tank will enjoy current and future EQ. Those that utilize their abilities and disciplines during battles and reactionary situations will enjoy victory far more often than defeat.

Those that do not can enjoy a wonderful career debating on EQ forums...
    Melanippe likes this.
  19. Cicelee Augur

LOL wrong thread. I guess when you have multiple and unlimited magician threads you lose of track as to which one you are responding to...

So for magician beams: if you reduce the targets to 24 and the range to be melee range only, would that make all non magician satisfied and content? If so just make it happen, I really don't want to spend 2014 reading about my beam spells or my Earth pet TBH.
  20. Enkel Augur

Again, the real issue is the proper SoE department not handling the offenders, not the spell itself. The spell has an intrinsic set that allows it to be abused, but it is the individuals that are abusing it that should be handled. Yes, you can say that because it innately allows for abuse that it should be nerfed, but the majority should not be punished because the minority. The real offenders should be handled, it doesn't seem that hard. Beside that, the spell should be left how it currently is, in my opinion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.