Magician: The best tracker in the game.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nuttmeg, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Machentoo Augur

Sure, you can. They have, in fact. It's been this way for 18 years. What makes you think they can't?

They are not going to change a serverwide mechanic and have it impact live over a handful of mobs in one expansion on the TLP's.
    NoWay likes this.
  2. Risiko Augur

I never said it was right. I was just pointing out that it has been complained about on nearly every TLP server, and SoE/DBG has never changed it. Therefore, it is very unlikely they will change it this time either.
  3. Kahna Augur

Drusilla, as you mentioned, has MotM and won't target pets. So unless the chanter wanted to tank Drusilla it wouldn't be a good idea.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  4. Fluid Augur

Hate list seems to be occupied by 'people who don't run Magicians' <sic>

As I tried to point out, the larger problem is high level toons farming low level areas. The other night and I pointed out, there was a level 50 Rogue in Blackburrow clearing the entire zone like they were on tracks. Not enough PCs stuck around in a zone with everything in it dead to get another pick going. On my run to another hunting spot I checked out the Ogres in West Karanas: Camped by an Enchanter<I think> red to my PC and everything there dead. If and only if, the Magician in Runnyeye was able to send a pet to kill a MOB w/o intervention of some kind, they were probably 5-10 levels above the targeted MOB! You just can't do that with a level appropriate character.

A simple fix would be to add zones based on the total levels vs. PCs in a zone. i.e. a level 50 character counts as 10 level 5 characters for dungeons.

But yes, expansions will fix it, just a wait/delay that people can't stand.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

I said that poorly. I know it's a fixed distance. Let's say it's 300'. In Runnyeye that means 90% of the zone (just throwing out a number). In a big zone your fixed 300' might only be 5% of the zone. That's what I was trying to say. :)
  6. Wowjustwow Elder

Not how it worked in Kunark on Phinny. The charm pets were treated differently than normal pets. You just had to pray that the charm never broke on that hard hitting of a mob because a portion of the agro was transferred to the enchanter.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

I have a magician. I just acknowledge that it's a broken mechanic.
  8. Aiona Augur

I don't think any player should be able to initiate an attack on an NPC that is not targeted by the player and within the players ranged attack distance limit.

Regarding tracking, this is simply a tool that shows the player which mobs are up and which direction they are from your current location. Tracking does not lead you on the most optimal path through a dungeon/maze/map/structure (especially when it comes to multi-level or multi-floor areas): player skill (i.e., memory, knowledge) does! Once you know the zone well enough, you'll know the most optimal path for a player to take.

Edit: Pathing and Tracking are not the same thing.
  9. Nuttmeg Augur

I'd also include line of sight. Thinking of a complex maze, it just isn't fair that a Magician pet can traverse the entire maze flawlessly, making all the correct turns to get to the proper dead end where the desired mob spawned. I say make them target it, then make a server check on whether a spell *could* land on it. (Heck, make them actually hit it or cast on it too.)

This /pet attack soandso is far too powerful as is.
    nostalgicfool likes this.
  10. Purelogic Lorekeeper

Yeah lets make rangers unable to track in open zones unless the mob is in los too or make them snared while track is up :)
  11. Purelogic Lorekeeper

its only useful in small areas and then the pet will just stand around with the mob targeted or run at the wall
  12. Sulidar New Member

They should really have to target the mob to have their pet attack, as someone said earlier. Being out of line of sight and attacking is fine, and necessary in many cases, but something small like getting rid of this stupidity that krono farmers abuse would be much appreciated.
  13. Adonhiram Augur

I'll retest that tonight to be sure of the distance, but I think it's 200' (standard spell range), 300' is bolt distance and at bolt distance iirc pet doesn't reply, but it might be because of extended range items, I'll do the test after unequipping my ER item.

What people don't understand (not speaking of you) is that pets are NPC models with a hate list. Mob soandso gets or gets not on the hate list, exactly as for any mob you fight in this game. Issuing the /pet attack or the /pet qattack command adds a mob to the pet's hate list, but only if the pet is able to respond to your command. You can macro as many times you want "/pet attack <name of farmed and contested mob>, if pet is too far away, the mob doesn't land on the hate list.

Same applies btw to mezed mobs. I am surprised no one found that issue to annoy an afk mage boxer using Unspeakable Software : just mez the mob the pet is on and steal it. Use to your advantage how pet hate lists are working to make those afk farmer's life difficult.
  14. Adonhiram Augur

I want your weed :)

First, you need to be close enough for /pet attack to work (id est to add the mob to the pet's hate list).

Second, even if it works, it doesn't show you where your pet is rushing to, good luck especially with the Z-axis. There is no "find pet" mystical path popping in front of you...

Third, how do you know your pet isn't targetting a mob -taking closest one with the name which was written in the macro- standing next to five or six red cons ? or a named ? You'll get killed in seconds if blindly doing that.

Fourth, as other classes who have this ability (so it's not mage only), nothing should prevent you from using Eye of Zomm to have an oversight of what is happening around the corner, or under your famous bridge. If I target a mob with Eye and see it is single or adds have not repopped yet, there is nothing wrong by sending my pet on that target to pull it to me (and yes it works without pet hold from classic to Velious if your pet is sowed or velocitied and if your attack hotkey includes a /pet back off first line), I do that all the time when grinding, it's even my most used pulling technique (in combo with my chanter who pacifies when needed). Anyhow, using a legit tool or spell to see the scenery you can't see otherwise is not OP or against rules.
  15. Adonhiram Augur

Ok, guys, sorry for the spam, but I couldn't wait and just did the testing before going to work. Here the results, if someone doesn't believe me, I'l redo them filming with FRAPS and you'll get a new Adon video omg.

1. The max distance at which the pet will move in to attack the mob when using /pet attack or /pet qattack is indeed standard spell range, which is 200'.
    2. Between 200' and 300' (300' is bolt distance), the mob still gets added to the hate list but pet will not rush it ; however if you move further in (within the 200'), pet will rush the mob without you issuing any new command. I had a water pet up, but a post-Kunark fire pet will probably start nuking at this distance, will test on raid tonight to be sure.
    3. Beyond 300', nothing happens, the mob is not added to the pet's hate list.
  16. Adonhiram Augur

4. With the fire pet there is a grey zone close to the 300' limit where you'll see the pet's target flickering, and the pet going in and out of combat mode, this happens when you are just at the limit of the distance where pet will add the mob to its hate list but the mob makes very small moves. (a tanked boss mob e.g.).

Of course, now we have seen the whole thing with "magicians are best trackers" is total , no one is interested anymore in the topic and everyone moves to the next flaming thread. /shakes head
    Polymnia likes this.
  17. Polymnia New Member

Ty for the testing
  18. Gingyr Elder

Chanters get the aggro their pet generates on MOTM mobs. Charm a mob in fire and send it on a raid boss, you will get summoned without casting a single spell. Things changed during velious due to people pet tanking permarooted dragons with out of range pet classes.
  19. Polymnia New Member

/nod
    out of range and no line of sight, "call of the zero" bug, but wasn't it fixed ?
  20. Arclyte Augur

this guy is truly upset he didnt get his lvl 20 magical amulet