Magician: The best tracker in the game.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nuttmeg, Jun 19, 2017.

1. yerm Augur

The destroyers/named and the trash are on different timers.
  2. Risiko Augur

Mages did this on all of the TLP servers before Agnarr. It was complained about on the forums every time. It never got changed.

What exactly is it that makes you think it's going to change THIS time? I'm curious.

As stated already in this thread, it's not necessarily botting. It is just an in-game macro that tells the pet to attack exact_name on each line. If one of the mobs is up and with in the target radius of the mage when hit that key, the pet takes the target and goes to attack. All the mage is doing is hitting the key every so often while he/she watches Netflix or what ever.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

My point isn't that now is not a good time, it is that they'll never change it (or so it would seem).
  4. Tevez Augur

Ah cool thanks
  5. Nuttmeg Augur

Which is a problem because I, as the tracker, would have to be in the zone for a half hour or more to start setting timers based on kills. ...the pet class doesn't have to be in the zone more than 1 millisecond for the "/pet attack ..." to immediately find the first one that pops.
  6. Kahna Augur

No, I am saying you are playing poorly when you try to race a pet, rather than sitting back and taking the time to figure out the zone and where the spawns are/what timer they are on and being there before the mob pops.

And I told you, I have played a mage down there. It is not as simple as hit pet attack and watch the loot rain from the heavens. I still had to track the spawns and know when one was going to pop and get there first. Because if I didn't, someone who did would kill the mob before my pet got there. Sure I may have easily beaten a silly ranger who was counting on track to tell him where the mobs were, but I didn't beat the players who learned the zone and knew where to go and when to be there.

As a mage, it took me 12+ hours to get my BAM. It's not exactly a walk in the park for us either. It took me that long because I had to learn the zone. Next BAM would probably come much faster, because I know where to go and what to do.
  7. C3lowz Augur

The whole pet attack hotkey just seems kind of off really.

I've did a test on it. Parked my pet at a zone line, ran pretty far in to a zone I did my testing on till I found a named mob. With my pet still at the zone line I used the attack hotkey the game provides on the Pet Info window. Nothing, doesn't target it or move. I then did the /petattack <mob name> and sure enough my pet started working his way to the named.

So why does targeting a mob who is well far away from the pet do nothing when I use the pet windows attack option? But when you do the /petattack <name> command he will start hustling his way to said NPC? Should just straight up limit how far a pet will run to attack a mob when commanded to.
  8. TLP Addict Augur

Here I was thinking Paladins were the best trackers, I remember doing ring wars on Phinnyand it was always the Paladin that called out the direction of the wave spawns before anyone else seemed to know they had spawned ;)
  9. Kahna Augur

There is a limit. I have had plenty of times where my pet ran out a ways after a mob and then stopped, lost target, headed back to me, then picked up the target again and sort of got stuck in the back and forth of losing then picking up the target. I am pretty sure the range is based on the players location when using /pet attack, but I could be wrong, I haven't done extensive testing. However running closer to the mob in question does break the losing target issue and get my pet to keep running.

The limit really isn't that far either. Pretty sure I can shoot a flame bolt farther than I can get a pet to attack.
  10. nostalgicfool Augur

Runny is small and i think that the limitation on pet attack range do ignore the z-axis, so a mage can sit on level 1 of runny and send pet on level 3.

I have seen lot of mage abusing the power of their pet, as example you almost always have an afk mage on hill giant hill usually near the little orc camp. I don't get how they manage to get agroed (since they red and HG are grey to them) and to have pet attack.

Very likely they use a gaming mouse/keyboard that press forever a button with a macro ordering to attack some hill giant.

In my mid 30 i tried to get some Black alloy items, solo it was sort of risky but as soon as i entered runny i found level 50 mages sitting about everywhere.

I also somewhat hoped that BA items would bring groups there, but it seems that due to the zone exp mod, the competition with afk mages most people prefered Guk or Sol.
  11. nostalgicfool Augur

This thread is fun and some Eq fan cannot be cured (lol 12 hours to get a mana presevaton 2 item omg).

There at least two obvious flaws that any decent team of developer would correct immediately :

First timers should always be random, thus preventing afk farmer to beat active players. Potentially pp location should vary too except for Uber Bosses (obviously Velk pop should be static).

Second no pet should be able to attack something the mage does not target.

Third (well may be i don t want that since my shaman use it) mage should not be able to loot mobs killed by the pet solo.

Fourth : Pet should stop protecting master after a few minutes of master inactivity.
  12. Mashef Augur

Use the Guide help feature. I have actually gotten responses and AFK players will be removed from zone/banned/suspended depending how often it has happened.

If they aren't AFK, as mentioned sit on your spawn point and be prepared to get to 50% damage first.

Don't use DS as that doesn't count as damage done.
  13. Phinny4Life Lorekeeper

This thread took a lot longer to appear on the forums than I thought it would! Bravo!
  14. Kahna Augur

As I said in my first post that 12 hours was split over 3 days. 2-3 on Friday, 3-4 on Saturday and a final 6 hours stretch on Sunday to get the item. However, once you learn the spawn point timers you really only have to pop in often enough to kill the mobs (the respawn I was sitting on was 50 minutes) or keep yourself from afk crashing. I also did the laundry, dishes, cleaned the living room, helped my husband with a woodworking project and walked the dog in between killing my PHes.

But yeah, no, go with the I'm an out of control neckbeard EQ player who camped things in an unhealthy manner. Cause, ya know, this game wasn't built around excessively tedious camps and everyone who plays with any degree of success hasn't put in long hours.
  15. Adonhiram Augur

Can we please stop calling for more mage nerfs because a few botfarmers play mages ? Thank you.
    NoMoreTLPs likes this.
  16. Nuttmeg Augur

Sorry, I'm not letting this rest until pets no longer have an exponentially better tracking skill than actual trackers.

This exploit needs a fix. A magician should not even know that a picklaw Slayspell has spawned 8 rooms away, let alone be able to kill it, loot it, and immediately set off for the next one within milliseconds of it spawning.
  17. Vandross Lorekeeper

Pointless to even respond to you, but basically they are never going to change the way this works. Sorry. You better make a few mages. It's not an 'exploit'
  18. Kahna Augur

Or until Kunark comes out and you forget all about it. Because RE is literally the only zone where you can do this with any real effectiveness.
    code-zero and Adonhiram like this.
  19. Adonhiram Augur

That's wisdom, indeed.
  20. Xeris Augur

i mean, the mage, esp if they're semi afk, are just hitting a hotkey once every X amount of time... this requires them to happen to hit the hotkey when the named mob HAPPENS to be up. if you're attentive you should still be able to get it more often than not.