Magical weapons?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Agrippa, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Agrippa Augur

With just about every weapon being magical anymore, I realize that this question is mostly irrelevant, but I'm wondering if there are any identifying attributes for magical weapons. I'm returning from a long break, but would have sworn that there used to be a "Magical" tag in a magical weapon's item description. Is it entirely possible now for any weapon, including monk fists of all levels, to hit wisps, ghouls, and other mobs that once required magical weapons? I haven't looked extensively, but I haven't seen any identifying attributes that would separate rusty, bronze, fine steel, and any other mundane weapons from magic ones. If magical weapons are still required for any number of mobs, is it possible for any newer players to identify magical ones?
  2. phattoni Augur

there is no magic tag any more on most weapons, its saved for unique weapons, which i have not seen yet..

this change went in when the body types were changed, magical weapon flag went away, im sure its on some items still, but not sure what they are.

the mobs have been adjusted to reflect the change, not sure if wisps are still flagged as magic required, but the ghouls and stuff are killable with rusty weapons now.
  3. Agrippa Augur

Thank you! I wonder if those unique weapons would be the same as what are tagged as artifacts? Only one artifact per server, I think? Or are unique weapons truly unique?
  4. Gialana Augur

Here's the discussion for:
    Test Update 4/12/2022 - Patch Notes and Discussions

This is when the body types were changed, like phattoni said. They were originally going to make it so that anything not humanoid or animal would require a magical weapon. This would have meant that a new character would not be able to hit a level 1 skeleton (among other mobs) with melee until they acquired a magical weapon.

The solution DBG chose was to remove "the need for and distinction between magical and non-magical weapons." This quote comes from the last line in the "Items" section of:
    Game Update Notes: April 20, 2022
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Looking at item search on ZAM, I don't see anything among all the items that would indicate any rules around using the artifact tag. Maybe at one point in classic it was items that were handed out by GMs and only by rules were given out one per server, but there are lots of items now that drop regularly that use the tag.

I do see some notes indicating that Artifact items are like charms or recommended level on items now.
    Item Information:
    Item details show the highest potential item level. Actual statistics may vary based on the level of your main character.
    "ARTIFACT" is the item in its best version, and it will get "tuned down" to your character's level. If your character is level 61-70, the stats will be identical. If you're 51-60, it will be a different item (basically same stats, only lower) with a different name.

The magic tag on items I think was just totally removed from the game in one of the past patches, as well as the magic body type. So I wouldn't necessarily call every weapon "magical" (although every modern weapon ended up being magic anyway, was only used on specific weapons in classic before it went on everything), but the code that checked for magic weapon vs magic body type was removed. If anything was missed, it just doesn't matter any more, any weapon can hit any mob.

I can't think of anything that EverQuest has handled as truely "unique", unless it was only ever given out in GM events then there wouldn't be many copies around, but there would be multiple people that could possess it. You could argue that items that were removed from dropping at a certain expansion could be unique, but whether they are tradeable or not would it be possible to possess one.

There have been items named after players, that is kind of unique.

I found this old page.
    https://www.everquest.com/news/article?month=092007&id=50599
  6. phattoni Augur

im not sure on this, i havent seen the magic tag on a weapon yet, so it could be there and i just havent seen it.

the artifact tag is unique in that only one of them items were available per server, now with server merges and stuff its not uncommon to see the same artifact on the same server.

if it is on weapons, i would assume its saved for bane weapons etc. which are unique in the sense that they are only available during or usable for a specific encounter.

encounters like emp for luclin.

i dont raid much any more so its possible that the tag is used on weapons and i just havent seen it.