Mage wishes

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Brohg Augur

cloak of enhancement needs ENOUGH AC TO BLOCK OTHER CLOAKS
    Sancus likes this.
  2. Leex Pewpewer

I'd like to see an increase in damage in our RS line and the amount of pets required to bring "of many" to full power, decreased.

While we're at it, how about instead of the promised line of healing we get a quick heal. I'd rather that on raids or in groups, something that'll keep the pet up long enough for that big heal to land.

I feel like we're in a pretty good spot right now although, I am a little sour some of our pet burns fade on suspend now
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Hm? Must have missed it, what changed recently?
  4. Leex Pewpewer

Most pet burns will fade after you suspend a pet now.
  5. Piemastaj Augur

It happens when you zone, not suspend. Frenzied Burnout and Robe click get removed from the pet because they function like a Song. And I think recently they changed how songs work where they get removed when you zone. Which is why this is happening.

PMs have already been sent to the appropriate people, it is just a waiting game now. If they choose to fix it, it may require a full patch if it has to do with spell data.
    Sancus likes this.
  6. Leex Pewpewer

Ahh, well I don't generally zone my pet with burns running outside of suspending and bannering to raid. Makes sense that it would be the act of zoning and not suspending that causes the buffs to fall off.

I'm aware that the devs know of the problem, I'm not aware if they have intentions of fixing it. I have a theory as to why they did what they did to the song window, I also feel like they may make another change to due certain individuals still abusing the mechanics they were trying to take away, but that's for another thread.

Another wish - I wish the devs weren't evil and created two lines of RS pets, they should have merged the remote line and created an RS pets that summons next to the target.
  7. Sancus Augur

One big issue we faced in TBM and EoK is a lack of scalability for pets. With fewer and fewer expansions having level increases, there is a growing need for AAs or pet focus upgrades to prevent pets from stagnating.

Offensively, passive AAs can currently increase our pet's crit chance, crit damage, ATK, and flurry chance. However, there's no way to actually increase the base damage of their hits, and that prevents them from getting the upgrades they should.

It's important to note how pet melee damage is calculated. Like any NPC, pets have a DB and DI value, the latter being multiplied by a roll between 1 to 20, which is weighted based on the pet's ATK relative to the defender's AC. The DI portion of this roll is multiplied by crit damage when the attack crits and gets boosted by Hit Damage modifiers. The DB portion is largely unmodifiable (except by things that add a flat amount of dmg). On raids, pets have historically hit for very low DI values, often DI 1. Theft of Essence really helped in this regard, but our main pets still have relatively low ATK. The majority of damage on a minimum hit is actually contributed by the DB value, not the DI value, so crit damage and hit damage modifiers are less effective.

As such, any modifier would ideally be able to modify the DB value in addition to the DI value. One possibility is to either add SPA 482 to Theft of Essence or Arcane Distillect, or to create an AA that gives the pet a passive SPA 482 modifier (this would likely require the addition of a new SPA). As far as I know, SPA 482 is the closest SPA to actual base damage, although I'm unsure if even it is able to modify the DB value.

Another option is a flat damage addition via SPA 220, or a passive SPA that adds an SPA 220 effect. The issue here is it would apply to every pet, making it scale with additional swarm pets. I was wondering if it was possible to give RS pets a buff when they spawn that increases just their damage by a flat amount? That would be relatively easy to control.

Regardless of the method, something should be done to help pet DPS remain competitive. Pet DPS is pretty good right now apart from our main pets lagging horrendously, but every expansion that doesn't increase the level cap, this same issue comes up. I'm basically looking for Focus AAs for pets, or at least something that accomplishes the same objective. It might require some code work now, but I think it'll help avoid manual adjustments in the future and make the class easier to tune. Any increase needs to boost our RS pets in addition to our main pet, as they make up the majority of our pet-based damage on raids.

Edit: One option for adding an SPA 220 effect to RS pets is to give them an item that has a focus on spawn. I think that would be relatively easy, given main pets already come summoned with gear. The main issue with this is upgrading it, as I'm not sure if there's a way to upgrade an item's focus via AAs. It's another option, though.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Leex Pewpewer

I love your idea Sancus, I'd opt for the 1st option I think.

Gimme that with swarms that summon at my target and I'll be a happy camper.

Although at that point, I'm not sure it would even be fair, our DPS would be undisputed #1.
    kizant likes this.
  9. Sancus Augur

I think you missed the point a little, I'm in no way trying to make RS pets any more powerful in relative terms than they already are.

I'm operating under two assumptions: 1) Focus AA lines will continue to be upgraded and 2) Level increase expansions will become increasingly rare.

If every nuke we have (and every other class has) gets increased by 16% or w/e and RS pets stay the same, their relative power decreases, and they're less worth using than they were in the previous expansion. Their absolute power actually will decrease too if Companion's Aggression or Theft of Essence aren't upgraded to match AC increases, but hopefully those will. But basically I'm asking that, if every other spell does 16% more damage, there's an easy way to make RS do 16% more damage too.

I agree we're in a good spot now, but there is still an underlying scaling issue on expansions that don't increase the level cap that has hurt us in the past. It was really evident during TBM, and EoK saw a lot of manual changes to pet templates and the addition of Theft of Essence (a +2750 ATK boost for RS on raids) to address that. It's much easier to add 16% to a focus AA than to do a manual 16% increase, so I'm asking that some up front code work be done to make it that easy in the future.
  10. Leex Pewpewer

I'm just curious, did you even read my post, or did you just start typing?

How exactly did I misunderstand your post? I'm telling you that the idea of increasing RS pets by 16% and adding the ability for them to automatically summon at your target would drastically increase their damage/effectiveness.

We lose damage on our swarms currently due to them having to run from wherever we are, which generally is not located to close to the raid boss, to the raid boss, now incorporate a crappy server and lag. Eliminating that ( as much as possible ) factor, we would see an increase in swarm DPS.

Now add on top a 16% base increase to swarm pets, on top of them summoning at your target, you'll net more then a 16% increase overall, compared to our current swarm pets. Which is what I was getting at in my post, that the idea that I wanted, was a tad overkill. I think you missed my point.

Just to be clear,

I was not implying, or trying to imply that adding an SPA 220 effect enabling the pet to summon with a % based increase was to much(I like the idea personally), I was stating that combining your idea with mine would be.

I was just dreaming of nice things, this is a Mage Wish list, isn't it?
  11. Sancus Augur

I fully understand that swarm pets summoning at the target would be a dps increase depending on where you stand. And I think it's fine for you to ask for that; it would be a nice QoL change. I melee in most raids so it doesn't really help me that much, but on certain events it definitely would.

The impetus for my post is that you conflated that with an idea to prevent pet stagnation that (if I do say so myself) is important for the class by saying this:
    Maybe I'm just overly sensitive after years of nerfs, but I don't want to lose out on necessary pet upgrades because of statements like that. As such I want it to be abundantly clear that what I am asking for is not a relative DPS upgrade, but rather a necessary step to make sure pets keep in line with nuke upgrades.

So apologies for saying that you missed the point; my goal is moreso to make sure that readers of this thread don't miss my point.
  12. Leex Pewpewer

You're telling me ;)

So what you're asking for, is a DPS increase to RS pets to stay inline with nukes, yet that differs from my original post regarding wanting RS pets to get an increase in damage, how? Because you specified an amount? * applause *

Just because I implied adding both increases now, would be too powerful, doesn't mean I'm calling for nerfs OR stagnation to any line. It's being realistic and saying at the current moment we are at a good spot and don't need an increase to that extent.

Which is why, I also followed up and agreed with your suggestion, it's more inline with a power increase that would be acceptable and not warrant the nerf bat.

I'm pretty sure you could be half asleep, or brain dead, and still understand what I'm getting at. How you managed to take what I said, and run with it the way you did, is just beyond me.

Trolling much?
  13. Sancus Augur

I think you should ask yourself this question. The rest of your post isn't worth responding to, you're being ridiculous.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Can’t we all just get along, guys? United by our love of pet Cheese in all it’s glorious power? :(

Regarding remote RS....are there any meaningful situations where the pet spawning at the caster is *ever* superior to it spawning at the targeted mob?
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. Brohg Augur

Spawning "at" the mob is loose language. If it's spawning at the magician, then you know what side of the mob it's on (the magician's side). If it's spawning at the target circle, then you can choose what side of the mob it's on. If you can have pets be on a mob's back, that's a significant damage boost as they don't encounter Parries

A targeted summon sounds like a veryfine option for sometimes, but there's not "no" reason to have it spawn elsewise.
    Sheex, IblisTheMage and Sancus like this.
  16. Brohg Augur

Also you should be approximately at the boss. There are only rare mechanics to disincentivize it, and you gain seconds of swarm damage plus melee/procs damage if you're feeling saucy.
  17. Cicelee Augur

At first I was on the more magic DPS bandwagon. I would reiterate, however, that any increase in magic DPS does not affect anything else in a negative fashion, especially fire DPS. One rule of negotiation is that when there is a give, there usually is a take. And considering ROS has so little fire immune content where we have to use magic only (one under used zone in Skyfire with 1/2 mobs immune, and two T3 raid dragons) that unless next expansion is 1/2 fire immune mobs then I would lean on keeping magic DPS low and keeping fire DPS as is in relation.

I feel the class is doing well nowadays. We can solo nearly any group mob in the game, with the trade off being multiple mobs we struggle with. Groups welcome us, and we do well on raid parses (at least in the guild I raided ROS with). While I would like to see some small improvements here and there with elemental forms (except Heart of Flames) and short term damage shields... if nothing does happen, then we are still a strong class IMHO.

Again, give and take. I worry about that with regards to magic DPS increases. I do like having a magic Of Many and Inferno spells, as long as the damage was in line with Shock of xyz Steel.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

Oh, what the smurf ;-)... there is room on the internet for more less sane stuff...

/pet gear report

AA: persistent pet weapons (will not poof weapons handed to pet when pet dies)

/pet weapons release: gives back weapons currently being wielded by pet)

Pet window with stats etc

Pet back off works on swarm pets

Longer duration on Velocity (pet run speed), or make it until dispelled/pet dead, or an effect that affects swarm pets as well

Make Velocity partially counter or be temporarily supressed by Stance, instead of overwritten.

New pet models

Train pets to cast different spells: water could nuke like today or freeze (short duration slow), earth could root like today or bigger DD, air could stun like today or bigger DD, fire... well I don’t know... nuke like today, or nuke with something that triggers flames of power? —> /pet cast 1|2|none

Epic 3.0: bring back the Epic pet (oh, I said that already).
    Outlander Engine likes this.
  19. Grouch New Member

how about giving us a PET tab just like the MERC tab.
    Show us stats.
    Add a few extra gear slots (not more slots for the pet just show us all the slots the pet has available on the tab)
    Add a toggle (auto summon trash summoned gear TIE IT TO AA IF REQUIRED)
    Add a toggle to insure non summoned gear. Figure out some plat soaking formula that allows us to pay to keep our pet gear on creating a new pet.
    Ever imagine the day as a mage when we would know something about our pets that’s was concrete???
    Alternative to insurance.... pet corpse and 140AA per slot to loot dead pets. Level 1 AA primary weapon stays on corpse. Level 2 secondary....etc.etc.ad nauseam
    Outlander Engine likes this.
  20. Inagaki Elder

As mentioned above, please bring back the Surge of Shadow line.