Mage vs Necro in 2017 - live

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Kraymerica, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Kraymerica Journeyman

Where are these two classes at these days. There doesn't seem to be much talk on their class forums. Mage tower and necrotalk. Just curious how they are both doing from a solo or grouping perspective at 105. Looks like pet tanking took a hot recently so the mage might not have AS good at solo when the Necro can root rot or kite still. Thanks
  2. Nekk Augur

Necros have another site they talk on. Although most posts stopped sometime last year, it's more current than necrotalk. Not sure if I should post the site name here on an open forum. Necs can solo several aa's in the new xpac slacking while on lesson in frontier mountains. Their pets can no longer tank nameds, however I would say they still solo better than mages do. Not sure if mage pets can tank nameds or not, although the latest patch nerfed pet talking somewhat. If you want I can pm you the site name. However you will not have access to most of the forums there without requesting access from the site admin. I forget his name offhand but I should be able to look it up.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Andarriel, Reht, fransisco and 3 others like this.
  4. Nekk Augur

Nice rule breaking there, wizard. Oh well, I'm sure the site name can be found somewhere in the forums anyways.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Just add it to the list of my alleged offenses against the Necro community.
    Andarriel and Reht like this.
  6. Nekk Augur

Honestly I'm bored with the game anyways. Haven't really played in over a year. Not sure if I wanna come back yet or not. I'll probably buy the new expansion just to check it out, not sure if I'll stay or how long I'll play for when it comes out.
  7. Brohg Augur

Good or bad, I expect RoS beta to be an exciting time to be necromancering
  8. Piemastaj Augur

The only class worse than Necromancer is a Mage tbh.
  9. Gumby Augur

Raiding -- Necro's blow the pants off most everyone besides Zerkers. Some Wizards can be competitive at times. Mages are middle of the pack at best.

Grouping -- Really depends on your group, but Mages are fairly consistent damage. However, Necro's have that OP skull pet AE Sphere of Decay that doesn't show up on parses, which is good for grouping. 106k/tick AE Aura effect can melt stuff. If that ever starts showing up on parses, i'm sure it'll be squashed.

Solo -- I'd consider it kind of a wash. They play different, but both can get the job done.

Overall -- Necro's are far superior at this point. The only problem with them is getting a Raid roster spot due to them not stacking well.
  10. Xnao Augur

FTFY
  11. Cicelee Augur

Magicians are overrated...
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Is there a specific reason it doesn't show up? As in:

* It isn't visible in the log so it is impossible to parse.
    * It is visible in the log, but GP just doesn't read it (in which case send me a log line and I'll add it).
    * It is visible in the log, but the damage isn't tied to the caster. (If this is the case send me a log line and I can add it as a phantom player like I did for Reverse DS).
  13. Zalamyr Augur

I don't believe it shows up in the log. I've never found a way to see it.
  14. Zalamyr Augur

On the topic of the thread, I've got a mini necro and mage I'm working on, and I was fairly curious what people had to say. Sadly, I can't tell who's being sarcastic.
  15. Moege Augur

Does not show in log at all, only way a necro knows it is working is getting aggro from it.
    Do get a message when it ticks "Combat Dummy Jaka's body withers."
  16. Zalamyr Augur

I guess technically the damage could be estimated in a parse, just not attributed to anybody. As far as I can tell the damage is 100% static (no crits, focus, etc), so even if it doesn't actually show up, we know what it is anyway.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not really. There are multiple spells that have that same message so it is not really feasible to use.
  18. Brohg Augur

Will multiple Spheres damage mobs at the same time?
  19. Gumby Augur

The damage doesn't show up in logs. You'll see the spell messages of it hitting the targets, but no damage listed.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=50273

That's the actual effect being done. It's more like a Trap/Aura type of thing. It is quite the sight though having a couple Necro's pop those down and a tank pull a group of mobs into them.
  20. Azorin Journeyman

I used to love playing my necro (was main for 8 years+) but with all the nerfs to the class, I almost never play him these days. I find playing my shaman (same account as my necro) with my SK gives me more dps, adps, buffs, heals, etc. I never thought I would see the day when I would say shaman and DPS in the same sentence.