Mage Spell Thaumatize Pet

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Leex, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Leex Pewpewer

Is there a newer version of this? If so what is the name?
  2. Sancus Augur

Unfortunately there isn't :(
  3. Leex Pewpewer

Gah, well that bites. Where is the rank 1 version of Thaumatize Pet located these day's? Anyway I could pick it up in the PoK?
  4. fransisco Augur

I've stopped using it. The small amount of mana and hassle doesn't seem to warrent a spell slot anymore
  5. Mintalie Augur

I still faithfully use mine. All the time.
  6. Sancus Augur

I also use it, especially in the group game. Our mana usage and regen kinda sucks, so I'll take everything I can get.
  7. Piemastaj Augur

There is no reason why this spell is not on your spell bar 24/7. What did u replace it with?

150-275 a tick for mana is pretty decent for a spell that we got in Underfoot. On top of doing DMG to the mob, its probably our most efficient spell we have. And it should never be out of your line-up.
  8. Brohg Augur

An actual 0 mana cost 4k nuke that takes 2.5s max hasted (so 4s with no-lag cooldown) would not be cast ever. Its efficiency is not just irrelevant, the damage is actually a downside as it restricts usage. Side note: only class with a current spell from Underfoot? Blech
  9. Cindayen Elder

I still use it all the time. Very nice for someone like me who burns through mana like a hot knife through butter
  10. Mintalie Augur

I tested it last night and found that it increased my mana regen by 175. I'm not sure the exact length of time it lasts, but it's over a minute. So that's approximately 2000 extra mana every time it refreshes (which is often). It's an extremely valuable tool that all mages should always have on their spell bar.
  11. Cicelee Augur

It is not meant to be used in burn situations. It is not meant to be used on raid events where you have enough mana to last for the entire duration of the event.

However it does give around 2000 mana every 2-3 minutes if used religiously. Which over an hour of group play, you are looking at a recovery of 40,000-60,000 mana. Use it for two hours? 80,000-120,000 mana. Which is another full mana bar for most players.

Yeah. I think this is a permanent memorized spell :)
    Mintalie likes this.
  12. Piemastaj Augur

You do not play a Magician, and should probably not be making comments on this thread because of that.

The efficient part of the spell is that it grants mana back while your still doing DMG. It is not meant for anything more then a mana regen tool.
    Mintalie likes this.
  13. Nylrem Augur

I put it as my last spell on my multibind. When the trash mob dies, and I'm continuing to spam the multibind, since there is no longer a viable target for a nuke, it continues down to Thaumatize. If it's available, it casts it.

Used when all mobs are dead, and there's no viable nuke target anyway, it's quite useful, mana regen that doesn't cost any DPS decrease.

As a nuke, unfortunately, it's garbage.

If only we could get it made into a viable nuke with a decent benefit.... Kinda like wizard's claw.

Cut it's cast time in half, give it a DPS ratio equal to level 95 Spear, make it so it does NOT target pet, and increase it's mana return by about 300%. Then we'd have a very decent spell that would actually find it's way into our actual sustained nuke lineup, much like wizard's claw. (and still, it wouldn't be broken, because of it's long recast timer).
  14. Brohg Augur

Play a magician? No. I have magicians at levels 72, 86, and 90, though. I also speak English, and so I know that co-opting the word "efficient" for this isn't appropriate. As an analogy, women who get pregnant frequently get fabulous healthy shiny long hair as a side effect. We'll rate that quality of hair "4000". No one gets pregnant for the 4000 hair. No one casts Thaumatize for the 4000 damage. Neither activity is an efficient way to achieve 4000.

You can be good at your class and right about what spells to cast (you appear to be both!) and still make bad arguments, Piemastaj. That's all.
  15. Piemastaj Augur

How is saying 4k DMG and 150-275 mana returned per tick while costing 280 mana not considered efficient? You assumed I meant the 4k DMG, while not actually reading my post in its entirety. 14.2 DMG per mana is about 5 points over our current spells and they do not grant back mana.

No where did I say the 4k DMG was good, or bad or counterproductive. I said the mana regen on top of the DMG makes it one of our most efficient spells we have. Comprehension does not appear to be at work here. Funny part is I did not even highlight the amount of DMG done, I highlighted the true purpose of the spell which is the mana regen, you assumed it was used for DMG for some odd reason. This spell would be used if it did no DMG at all........

My argument is proven and valid, while you are trying to argue the worst possible argument for that spell.

Bottom line is, we simply do not have a 12th spell that is better then Thaum currently. That is because of our cast times among other things. We can only reliably use 5 DMG abilities in a given cool-down area, and Gather would take up the 6th slot. Then you have 6 more slots of spells, most of which will probably be used less then 25% of the time and this is because of AAs and lack of options.

The number your looking for is 150 (lowest possible value) times 14-15 ticks 2k to 2.2k mana for 1.5 mins at the lowest possible regen. 4k shouldn't be brought up in the conversation. As I said, if it did no DMG it would be used all the time.
  16. Brohg Augur

Efficiency is about cost and what you get for it. Metaphorical buck for bang is the usual exchange terms, they can represent any two currencies. This is different than effectiveness, which is all about bang. You're describing a high benefit in effectiveness (an otherwise dead spell gem, a spell to cast when there's nothing else to cast), not a great bargain being struck at some cost.
  17. Piemastaj Augur

Spending 280 mana, for a minimum of 2k mana up to possibly 4k mana or so would be used by most any class. Then tossing in the 4k DMG base on the spell, makes it pretty efficient. You GET: 2-4k mana, and do 4k DMG while spending 280 mana. Like I said our spells are around 9 to 10 DMG per mana spent, this spell is at 14.2 making it an incredibly effective spell to be used in 90% of the game.

And, in the group game, it used whenever it is up. Hardly a 'dead spell gem'.

I am unsure if your not understanding the bang is the 2-4k mana returned while merely using 280 mana. The bang would have never been (even in Underfoot) the DMG.

Like I said, you do not play a magician so it is clear that your not understanding the potential of the spell seeing as you do not use it as often as a main Magician. Which is perfectly fine, but you tried to dismiss actual relevant facts about the spell because you did not understand (at least that is what it appears to be) the entire purpose behind the spell. Which is generally why I normally do not post in topics that I may be unfamiliar with as to avoid confusion.
  18. Leex Pewpewer

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you for the posts and information. I'll have to do some UF raids to get rk3. I haven't been using it, haven't had too much of a mana problem but I certainly can always use more.

Also on a side note, I seriously wouldn't argue with Pie OR Enkel when it comes to Magicians. Seems like they both know very well what they are talking about, hell I'm happy I even figured out to look up thaum. A Mage named Ammeren from luclin told me I should be including it if I'm raiding, even if I'm not. ( He's pretty badass as well! )

Again, thanks everyone!

Cept Brohg! :p
  19. Crystilla Augur

Leex, easiest UF raid to do is probably the 1st Convortium one (can be done with 3-4 folks, less if you're more uber than my group was :) ).

Raid itself is 1 mob, nothing fancier than rampage and super easy.
  20. Leex Pewpewer

Very nice! Where would one find a place to get some info on UF? Does eqresource have a UF page?!
    Also, do I need any faction to turn the spell in?

Thanks !