Mage Spell - Meteoric Bolt

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Inagaki, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Inagaki Elder

Just want to check if this spell line is something beta mages will protect for the next expansion. Both Iron Bolt (SoF) and Meteoric Bolt (TBM) came in the expansion after the level cap raise expansion. So I would assume if there is an upgrade to this spell, it will be the next expansion.

I am debating if I should put 180AAs to add 16% focus on this spell. It's a spell I use every day at lvl 105. I always max out AAs for the level before I level up. So I am planning to stay at lvl 105 for a long time.

If beta mages love this spell line, then I am gonna do the 180AAs right away. But if beta mages are gonna strike down an upgrade for this spell next expansion, I will postpone doing this AA.

With the case of Fickle Conflagration, I know I won't need to do the AAs since they didn't attach the Chaotic spell line to this AA.
  2. Sancus Augur

I think you're overestimating the influence of "beta mages." We'll learn what spells we're getting on Day 1 of Beta, and those are the spells that are going live. What they are is entirely up to Aristo. We can suggest tweaks or bug fixes to them, but we can't "strike down" a spell.

I'm really hoping they give up on Meteoric Bolt and instead create Magic versions of Volley/Chaotic, but a copy/pasta upgrade of Meteoric Bolt is far more likely.
    Pirlo, IblisTheMage and gotwar like this.
  3. Goodn Augur

Ditto on what Sancus said. You can be a beta mage as well by preordering the next expansion...nothing special about it any more. You might even be able to read the Beta forums without preorder.

But you are penny-wise, pound-foolish if you are ignoring at least the first few ranks of spell focus and staying at 105. For 5 aa, your spell gets a 2 percent bump. You are probably spending 10 times that for a .1 percent bump in your pet dps atm. I will gladly admit that at some point, the spell focus aa for a spell becomes more expensive than it is worth compared to others you can buy (assuming you are lowish on aas).

But if a spell is in your rotation, there's no excuse to not buy at least the first few ranks of focus.
  4. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Outside of Fire immunes, I cant remember the last time I used the magic bolt line. And then that wasn’t so much because it was a good spel as a “I’ve literally got nothing else better to use” thing.

It’d be great if they converted it to a chaotic, many *or* spear instead. Anything else would be preferable.
  5. Inagaki Elder

I molo low light blues for exp grinding. So first AAs I bought at lvl 105 with my banked 210 AAs was Fire Beam for 180 AAs (and what a difference it makes). Rain is low priority for me because my pulls are usually around 6 mobs. Since I max AAs each level, I already have 2 ranks in the TDS focus AAs. Working to max out Fire Bolt right now.

Spear and Fickle/Chaotic are too "big" (in terms of both mana and dmg) for the exp grinding mobs I kill. I use Fire Bolt + Magic Bolt. Magic Bolt is the only mid-size DD I can choose from. Or else, I'll be using the lvl 101 + lvl 96 Fire Bolt instead (lvl 96 Fire Bolt is obviously inferior to lvl 103 Magic Bolt). For "finishing blow", I use Force of Elements and Blast of Sand.

There are very few mid-size DDs. If the game is allowing two small-size DDs to continue (Searing Sands and Blast of Sand), then I hope they will allow two mid-size DDs (Fire and Magic Bolts) to continue as well. I understand developing the big-size spells is important to the mage class. But I hope leaving two mid-size DDs alone is not too much to ask for.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Inagaki,
    1) are you using autogrant?
    2) are you aware of the web app Kizant made? It does not apply to lower level spells, but you can get a good idea of how the rotations work.
    3) you you have a good multibind up?
    4) what level are you?
    5) what server are you on?

There is a “magic point” where AA inflow accellerate, I completely agree with you on staying at 105 or 106 and max out all AA. I am going to shamelessly plug in my AA grind video below for you.

At this point, you might get to a place where you have all your essentials, and just decide to get them all, just in case some of them become usefull some day... I maxed out bolt on that account. But be sure to go 100% level until you are past autogrant, those 13K AA are a good start for a mage... after that, you will need another 10k-15k, which will go faster than you would suspect at lower levels.

Brogh will likely and rightly argue that at lower levels, and with less adps, a Rain rotation is optimal dps-wise and mana wise.

Also, I will say: AAaB: always add a bard. Even if you do not want to really box, adding a bard on /melody, even a F2P toon, is always a bliss. You do not need to do anything actively on the bard, it can just stand there playing, but you can of course also begin adding actions like positioning for melee, using AAs, etc.

Best of luck
  7. Inagaki Elder

Apparently, the phrase "I max AAs each level" does not make sense to others :). I gain all AAs for each level before I level to the next level. This is since lvl 51. i.e. when I dinged lvl 105, I already have over 16k AAs earned, not auto-granted (I did not do EoK Tradeskill AAs). My assigned AA does show 17k AAs because of that massive AA refund/rebuy session when they regrouped all AAs. That was the only time I used auto-grant to rebuy all the refunded AAs because of that 1k AA difference in the rebuy.

So no, I don't have an AA problem. However, I do play differently than the norm. So my needs in spells and AAs are different than the norm too. I know I can beam my way up till at least lvl 110. Because lvl 95 mobs will still be light blue at lvl 110.

Perhaps molo beaming works for me because I never aim at 12 mobs per pull. Even at 6 mobs per pull, I spend less mana per AA gained than killing single dark blues. Time spent to gain 1 AA maybe the same, but I find beaming more fun. Pulling a single and just staring at the mob while weaving is too boring for me.

Too bad I never group, or else two mage pets, each tanking 6, with two mages beaming on 12, will be even better for beaming. I tried to stick 2 on cleric merc to make it 8, but that takes too much time to position (need them next to each other but slightly apart) so I scratched that idea.

Anyways, one of the key phrase above is "less mana". Which brings me to Meteoric Bolt and why I treasure this spell line. When you are exp grinding on low light blues, an excellent mana to dmg ratio mid-size DD is gold.