Mage: RS aggro and moloing

Discussion in 'Casters' started by birdsong_pawn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. birdsong_pawn Augur

I am always thinking of ways to improve my EQ techniques bit by bit. I'd like to take a second to thank Sancus, Szilent, and others who have provided -- directly or indirectly -- a lot of valuable insight.

In my molo adventures in ToV, I have to pay close attention to my pet's HP and cast aegis/heals when needed. (I only have EM21.) So I'm thinking about whether I can let my RS pets take more of the hits. Is this a good idea?

I usually roll with aggro swords on my pet and /pet taunt on. Should I back off on some of those? Are there any other tricks for letting RS pets take more hits?
  2. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Toggling taunt off until you really need it should work. It really depends on which pet you're using, though, and how squishy you are. If you're using a water pet, it'll have a better time keeping agro at the cost of being slightly squishier. If earth, then it won't keep agro as well for when you're nuking with the taunt off, so be careful. Using pet taunt off, your RS pets will keep agro for longer, until they depop or squish, or until later in the fight. Another tip is to use the "of many" line to trigger theft of essence, which will aid your pet dps and survivability. Don't forget there are two aegis type spells that can both be kept up and cast on independent timers.
  3. Nylrem Augur

Let RS pets take as many of the hits as they can, IMO :)

My best 2cp... roll a box healer... any of the 3, even a FTP one... you will not regret it. They are 1000% better than a merc, and heals to your pet will forever be a non-issue, you won't even mem a pet heal again.

Keeping AA aegis up on pet is a non issue. Just add it to a multibind social...

Gonna try and give another couple tips, take or leave, as you wish, and change as you wish/comfort level for you, of course:

Hotbar 1, set all buttons up to keybind 1, so all of them activated by same key, key 1:

Then, set them up something like this:

Button 1: "Assist 1" social:
    /assist (MA name)
    /alt act 1041 {malo}
    /alt act 8800 {force}
    /alt act 441 {aegis}
    /alt act 174 {servant of ro}

Key 2: Pet attack (copy and bring down button from pet window, don't set this as a social /pet attack... multiple socials in 1 keybind do not play well together)...

Key 3: Pet swarm (same, copy and bring down from pet window)

Key 4: RS gem (alternatively, chaotic gem, if wish, then move RS to next place, whatever)

Key 5: Twincast gem

Key 6: Highest Spear gem (or of many, if in pet group... you want your highest DPS nuke after RS pet, for synergy proc boosts)

Key 7: Chaotic

Key 8: Next highest Spear gem

Key 9: of many gem

Key 10: Firebound orb spell gem

Key 11: Firebound orb

Key 12: Robe

Hotbar 2, set all keys to '2' for keybind.

Hotbar 2: Assist 2 social: /assist (MA name)
    /alt act 2066 {second wind}
    /alt act 8800 {force}
    /alt act 8342 {host in shell}
    /alt act 1370 {spire}

Set gems up same as hotbar 1, but substitute summon fire orb for something else, if want, personally I don't use ice clicky or 5 min clicky pets often, but you can if wish. I put Orb at end, to keep using it as much as possible. Can add one of modrods at end, or some other clicky use item here

Hotbar 3, same thing, but social should have turn summoned on it, imo, and again vary clickies, to other modrod, bifold focus, SoD robe, geomantra if want, whatever you have. Last gem can be shield of order gem (order is better than destiny in group game, does not take as high of damage required to trigger it), to keep it refreshed.

Hotbar 4, can just be Assist 1 social (to keep aegis up, etc) but add whatever mana regen gems at end you keep mem'd - can do gather > thaumatize > symbiosis, and modrods here, if want, but remove RS pet from spell gems, and put 'of many' in its place, and just spam '4' when mob about dead, and keep spamming after mob is dead, which will cast any available mana refresh spells/buffs/clickies to refresh mana as much as possible, and also keep Theft of Essence up, on pet. Or, if chain pulling, of course, you may not want to remove RS pet from this hotbar lineup, and sic newly summoned RS pet onto next mob.

Then, when fighting, just spam "1" until malo hits, "2" and "3" throughout rest of fight, to activate other AA as available, and "4" when mob close to dead.

Spam other hotbars after mob dead as needed, to refresh/click their items/buffs as they can be used.

Whatever, this is all infinitely customizable, and very quickly, by easily swapping and moving spell gems on each hotbar, etc.

Set up a burn social with host of elements, skyfire, ITC, FBO (companion's fury), and focus of Arcanum, and another for intensity and glyph, if you use those, if want.

Set up a 'RUNE' social with companion's fort, shared health, shield of elements, frostone, and geomantra clicky (/useitem entangled gear set or whatever you have, in social) for taking on named, multiple pulls, etc.

Refresh unity every time chaotic buff drops, it's not great, but not too terrible.

All of this is of course debatable, and I'm sure is not necessarily the 'best' setup, but for some basics, think maybe should help ya out some.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Pull with RS pet, and have RS first in rotation --> RS pets take a lot if not most damage.