Mage hit again

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Yimin, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Yimin Augur

Just how much DPS will we lose now with the hit to Rain spell crits ? If you have be for and after parsing please post here ......
  2. sojero One hit wonder

Enough that you don't have to worry about finding a raiding guild now, but leveling up that wiz wont take nearly as long :)

but in all honesty from what was being seen, the normal group will be around the same, during burns you will lost 40-50% and do through mana very quickly. Other mages will be able to elaborate much better.
  3. Yimin Augur

I Play more then this Mage even though I like her the most , I am now raiding on a different toon . Yimin has gone silver now .....Was just curious how hard of a hit it was ....
  4. Brohg Augur

No ADPS running? Major boost to innate crit size totally makes up for nerf to crit rate on rains. You may notice a little more spikeyness, but whatever.

Have ADPS (and specifically crit rate boosters (enc / bard , Auspice are the biggies))? Rains now terribibble because rate is capped, so use Spears and gobble mana (gobble compared to old rain-centric nuking, anyhow). Rod/Gather/Horn/etc, Mana Reserve; Pulse of Sionachie now a legit +damage song for magician-supporting bards in events lasting more than a couple minutes.

Bottom line is magicians that don't adapt their burn strat will certainly be way worse than before.
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Yimin Augur

Someone must have done a be for and after parse by now ?
  6. Sancus Augur

This is pretty spot on. Mana will be a huge issue, and the more ADPS you have, the worse rains will relatively be. It's hard to say exactly where our DPS will be post patch because of all of the other changes.

If you previously A) were bad at coordinating ADPS, B) lacked proper ADPS, C) couldn't rain because of bad tanks/mezzing/<insert_excuse>, and/or D) were using stupid spells, you probably won't see a lot of changes in DPS with this patch outside of bleeding through mana profusely. If you were competent and surrounded by competent people (i.e. you don't fall into most of those categories), you will likely see a pretty large drop off on burst, sustained, and mana usage.
    Spellfire likes this.
  7. Yimin Augur

So Far only parsing I have seen is a 17 percent drop in DPS from be for this patch , waiting for more test parsing .But now I know I made the right choice to let mage go silver thank you for confirming that to me DBG ...Still paying for 2 of 3 accounts :)

Yimin
  8. Sancus Augur

On a Max burn in Raids it's a ~38% decrease in Rain DPS, and that's with crit damage mods stacking (GBW+IoG+GotC+131% passive boost).
  9. Igniz Augur

As I stated in the post, this is under our own discs only and in an ideal parse environment (GH Dummy) and the 17% are loss of DPS during Rain->Rain->105Spear->100Spear (both spears are subject to a slight increase in overall damage, thanks to the changes to critdamage).

Going to parse a bit more for tomorrow.
  10. Yimin Augur

Thank you Igniz for doing parsing for your fellow Mages

Yimin
  11. Navin Novellus Journeyman

Add playing on Zek as one of those excuses. ;)

I won't notice a difference except when pet tanking in the group game.
  12. Necromonious Augur

I'm just glad this nerf to live fixes all the TLP issues with mass mages /sarcasm
  13. Necromonious Augur

Of all the classes to play on a red server, mage seema like a strange choice to me. Rogue or ranger, now that's what I'd be ;)
  14. Bigstomp Augur

How will it affect mana usage? (I just created my first mage to see any actual playtime the other day)
  15. Potawatomi Augur

Spears are heavy mana hogs vs Rains.
    Sancus and Mintalie like this.
  16. Brohg Augur

If you're already used to using the mana, you ought to experience a significant boost, sustained and especially burst, to overall damage thanks to the innate crit size changes and crit size stacking change.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the changes, but isn't this sorta how it's supposed to be for the 2 nuking dps classes? Mana being finite was part of how some semblance of balance happened relative to both sustained (necro) and more generally with melee as well?

The last few years mag/wiz have gotten so many sustained bumps, mana recovery tools and such that coupled with the considerably less dependence on adps along with many shorter fights has led to casterquest today. Makes me think of the darker days, say Kerafym in Crystallos where casters would sit out because they'd be pretty poor once oom heh.

All that being said rains being reduced this much does suck - the alternative using spears really does destroy mana, especially on a group geared toon.
  18. Necromonious Augur

Mana should be finite but it's like night and day for mages vs others. Like my Necro I completely don't pay attention to MR. My worn KOTP buff from gear on him is 2 era's old, his shoulders focus are out of date and he's missing 15ish ranks of MR AA's. My mage is almost completely maxed on mr, shawl, AA's, curent era raid KOTP ring, double +mana augments (one TDS era weapon, one from aug), raid shoulders, splinter of potency, bixie summoner stone aug, using tribute, everything. The Necro barely has to use death bloom, mage will oom in 10 minutes of conservative DPS'ing (which I can stretch a bit with mod rod and gather potential spell). It's a night/day difference, Necro almost never looks at his mana bar, mage has to stare at it like a hawk

I've heard wizards and enchanters also scoff away mana concerns, for the most part. It should be finite but it is only *extremely* finite for mages, not as much for everyone else. Although it is more finite for Necro than it was, I did have to sit for death blossum mid-HA just yesterday :/
    Sheex, Yimin, Sancus and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sancus Augur

Yes, traditionally mana was finite, though it hasn't been that way since 2011 with VoA. Traditionally our pets also allowed us to sustain while OOM, meaning they'd have to receive a huge DPS bump from where they are on live. Currently no other Caster has the mana issues we do. To talk about how it's "supposed" to be, Mages are supposed to burn below Wizards (we're at about 1/2 of Wizard burst now) but above Necros (in the traditional 60s burn this is probably true), and we are supposed to sustain above Wizards (currently not true) and below Necros (true by a very large margain).

So we can try to make resources "a thing" again, which the devs tried to do last year with claw and rest nerfs which didn't go through. However, arbitrarily targetting mages still makes no sense to me.
    Sheex, Yimin and Potawatomi like this.
  20. Navin Novellus Journeyman

Yea, I've had to get used to the ridiculous mana consumption most of the time, raids included. It's a night and day difference vs when I could use rains while pet tanking. I've mitigated it as much as I could by using the 1H/Shield and Sympathetic Alleviating proc augs, but honestly they don't make a huge impact when you're burning mana that fast.

Anyway, regarding the DPS, you are in fact correct sir. I was waiting untill the change was live to see, but I did end up being ahead tonight vs before the change.