Mage, autogrant, lvl 95 xp

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Phiyre, May 15, 2018.

1. Phiyre Augur

I have been doing the teek hotzone, pillars of alra but the mobs give about 1%xp per 2-3 kills w/ lesson popped. Daily quest gives about 1/2 of a bubble it seems. I am looking for a better/quicker xp option.If there is none, I will probably try grinding out to 96 and trying gribbles HA w/ the new mage air pet.
    Mage is 95, I prefer to use air pet (lvl 91 spell, I get a new one at 96) but I seem to be unable to clear the gribbles HA. I do ok but seems like I can't solo pull enough so I am unable to solo complete the HA's. Guessing w/ the new air pet at 96 I will have a better chance. Looking for feedback/suggestions though.
    I am currently all access which I will let expire in a month. Don't own Kunark or the newest xpac so grouping there isn't an option.
  2. moogs Augur

Are you using your root spell? You can root a mob (out of 3), put your pet on one, and have the servant pet on the third one.

Otherwise there are plenty of good places to get XP solo at your level. Max 1 add. One would be Beasts' Domain, killing the shrubs near the Sarith zone line.
    Phiyre likes this.
  3. Phiyre Augur

To be honest, I never knew a mage got a root, other than the earth pet. Did some searching on alla and will try to obtain a root clickie :)
    Thanks for that heads up, I was clueless to that!!
  4. Gnomeland Augur

Try rain of fear. Heroic adventures are no longer worth it for the experience since the difficulty change. Rain of fear until 100 is the standard path and then you do COTF.
  5. Phiyre Augur

Thanks Gnome...
  6. Elskidor Augur

Deadhills doesn't seem as good as it used to be but it still seems pretty decent at least in a group that can run through it fast with lesson. Was it nerfed? I imagine if attempting to solo it probably not be worth it though.

Outside of Teeks, I I ran my mage solo through a lot of VOA zones grinding until 100 several years back. Maybe it wasn't the best path but it did the trick.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Are you sure there is a mage root clockie? There was an ultra rare fabled slime ring or something last millenia, it no longer drops, I believe?
  8. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

You can buy the earring of living slime if you're lucky. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=47492

[IMG]
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

It would appear that it would cost about 10.000.000 pp, that is way too pricy for me.
  10. Sancus Augur

There's also Slimy Ooze Ejector. That's a very rare drop from Beza instances. It has a 2 minute recast which is not awesome, but it's a more affordable alternative.

The main issue with both is they have no resist adjust, so they have issues landing and break pretty easily. Malo helps a lot, but obviously when you cast Malo you'll be on aggro and these aren't particularly fast casting clicks. There are various ways to work around the limitations and it's actually kind of fun IMO.

That said, it's incredibly unlikely that someone leveling has access to these clicks, and they're far removed from having a real root spell in terms of utility/reliability.
  11. Phiyre Augur

Looks like I'll be doing the good ole fashioned grind :) The earring no longer drops and ya, not paying 90 nobles or w/e (10mil plat) just to have a dumb root. Someone mentioned I might be able to buy the earring of slime for $100 or something which isn't an option either.
    Just gonna grind it out and go from there. At least grinding now days is far easier/faster than it was back in 99-2000.. Going through leveling then, I might complain now, but know how much worse it could be. Shoot, back in the day, on my wiz main, I would kite a mob, get less xp, have more down time, as well as the chance of death resetting about 3 hours of xping if I couldn't get a great rez. Could be so much worse :)
  12. Phiyre Augur

Thanks again for all the replies guys :)
    My main goal is to try getting as high lvl as able before all access/autogrant wears off :) Should be able to get lvl100 np if not close (2 bubs from 96 now).
    Can always log on the chanter box if push comes to shove too but pretty easy soloing w/ solo pulls. I only had an issue w/ the ha adds and really those were pretty boring anyhow..
  13. Gnomeland Augur

You also just don't need the earring to pull single or double. You have drape of shadows every 3 to 4 minutes, which acts like bard fade and can be used to split. Companion of necessity is another option, will usually work to split a group of 3 into 1 or 2. And you can also blow your cool downs to kill a group of 3 when needed.

But the larger issue is just that you shouldn't be doing heroic adventures by yourself, they were changed so that it's no longer an efficient way to progress on one character. Veil of alaris and rain of fear zones should be your bread and butter for experience gain. Rain of fear tasks, from what I remember, were decent experience at 95. For veil of alaris, city of bronze was where I did most of my levels, wind song is also solid. Both were easier than the area you mentioned.
  14. moogs Augur

Apologies for the confusion. I thought magicians had a root spell like enchanters do. Fade is a better bet...you shouldn't have to pull 3+ mobs very often.
  15. Phiyre Augur

I will try those other areas Gnome :) Thanks for the heads up on the drape.. I will check that out. Somehow I overlooked it.
    I only have issues w/ adds in the HA's which from feedback here, I will just avoid and pound out those lvls :D
    You guys all rock. Thanks again :)
    Jal