Mage Armies are Temporary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aurmoon, May 27, 2015.

1. Aurmoon Augur

When a new server launches there is a huge rush for server firsts as well as access to gear / content before the server becomes saturated. People knew ahead of time that mages would be overpowered and made mage armies to get to content first. Virtually NOBODY is going to maintain 6 mages as their primary team. It simply isn't fun nor necessary beyond the initial launch. These mage armies are designed to gear up the characters people actually want to play --- IE every other class.

Take a look at Fippy / Vulak back when they had large populations. The boxers played pretty much every class and mages were not that prevalent.

Remember, we're still in the first week of Ragefire. Give it some time and people will be swapping out their mages for the classes they actually want to play.
    Motherlee likes this.
  2. Gehlfein Elder

It's a nice sentiment - the issue is *lots* of people want to play the class that does the most damage. They don't care what it is.

Which, sadly, are just far and away Mages and Monks
  3. iClimax Journeyman

Well said! And even now the smart 6 boxers have realized 6 mages isn't 100% viable. A lot do 4 mages a Druid and an enchanter. It will become more diverse, just a lot of hardcore players twink out classes before leveling them so at no point in their gameplay is anything ever super slow or difficult.
    Motherlee likes this.
  4. Healiez Augur

This is only in classic and then kunark with mage epic pets.

in velious and luclin rogues, beastlords, necro's, and chanters (when charming) become the T1 dps.

Once PoP rolls around box teams will have to include a trinity (cleric, tank, chanter) and then 3 others. Usually one or two really strong dps and one utility class.
  5. IronGreen New Member

bard druid magex4
  6. Aurmoon Augur

Fair, but this isn't necessarily the case when you're boxing a full group. When you have the luxury of picking six classes, you don't need to just pick the highest DPS class over and over. I'd be more concerned about the people who play just 1 character electing mage/monk in high proportions.
  7. Jaxarale01 Augur

I agree with some of this. I was going to go shaman/bard/monk or shaman/sk/monk.
    However...
    Seeing the rule set I switched to mage/enchanter/druid for several reasons.
    No iskars and the only true monks are lizzies!
    No weapons or armor or mana song for the bard makes him useless and a mana spounge till mid 20s
    No gear for shaman means if I get into trouble even if I play perfect odds are I wipe.
    Druid ports for quests for my second set so I can quest doing them and not spend 2 hours running around
    Main will be shaman
  8. Alexanders Augur

You do realize with current time lines PoP is actually going to be a little more than 2 years away right?
    Classic 6 months
    Kunark 6 months
    Velious 6 months
    Luclin 6 months
    + time to actually down mobs required to cause a vote
    + time for the vote
    + assume all votes actually pass on first try.

I would bet on our current time lines your looking at 2 years and 4 months for the launch of Planes of Power. And that's if votes pass until then.

It doesn't matter if the hardcore players managed to down all the targets for classic in 4 days or not. There is still time for the vote process to occur and each expansion will increase the amount of time it takes to down all the required targets to cause a vote.
  9. Weebles Augur

Daybreak has proven to be very open to feedback, and already acknowledged they would consider a revote in about 3 months to open Kunark early (and I'm assuming the same for Velious).

Once the rose tint wears off everyone's glasses, I suspect an early vote is highly likely.
  10. AngorfLadroTholuxeP Augur

You don't need a chanter for most targets in PoP (although you would probably need off-heals and a slow). I six boxed my way through that whole expansion on EQTitan (War/Clr/Wiz/Brd/Shm/Ber).
  11. Alexanders Augur

I am not totally against opening Kunark early as Classic EQ is really a much smaller place then most of us tend to remember.

However I feel that the reason the response for Ragefire has been so overwhelming and went above and beyond even the developers expectations (Remember they have done this twice before so they knew what to expect, there is a logical reason that Ragefire can support more users the Fippy and Vulak combined).

That reason is the slower progression, all previous TLP servers have been a dead heat sprint for the finish, why I never really understood but this one was different it was a much much slower progression. Opening Kunark in 3 months instead of the voted on six I would get over that. Using that as a means to justify early opening of the other expansion? Forget that you would lose not just my subscription money but the subscriptions of many others I would think.

I am not here for a race to catch up to live servers.
    Sygny and Finwen like this.
  12. Finwen Augur

This guy gets it.
  13. Glistarian Augur

This is exactly right.

If you're only playing on Ragefire because you want a 'revote', you're in the wrong place.
  14. Flandersian Augur

Mage armies will last until they start losing them to the CotH bot armies in Velious/Luclin.
  15. Woncho Journeyman

I am confused, do necro pets not have the same dmg as mage pets? What is the difference? Sorry I am a noob. Any explanation would be amazing! Thanks
  16. Flandersian Augur

Necro pets do great damage, as well. But mages are tooled completely around their pet, so the mage pet is always stronger than necro/bst pets.
  17. LastToStand Journeyman

Okay Cool... but I can see this way ahead of before the server is released ....incoming
    Twisted Legacy Making a 2nd Chapter to lock down both servers! So Ragefire Progression and Lockjaw would be their's it's not right.

Make this Please we beg of you NON-BOXING SERVER, NON-ISBOXERS Hacking Programs
    If caught Banned whole accounts and all characters deleted.
    Would someone want to risk that No so make this happen captain.
    Sygny likes this.
  18. Sygny New Member

Well, there is NO way Mr. Vision would have permitted 3rd party software that allows a total group controlled by one character. This would have been a ban offense in 1999. Secondly mage pets were barely able to tank a green not 5 blues.

So in Fippy guilds brought out 35 SK's and HT'd old world dragons to get around the teams that were actually poopsocked waiting for 2+ hours yea I was there.
    They got nerfed.
    You see that bringing 35 mages or 35 monks to a dragon fight because it gives you the "Winning" sign completely undermines the concept of EQ.

Just like last night someone sent their pet army from the fireplace room in Unrest to the hag and all the way down the basement.. Share much? No..
    When does the good of the few outweigh the good of the many?
    EQ [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].. either box without a 3rd party programs or choose another game..

We all know this is people who have no interest in being social, if you ask me just call LockJaw.. Boxer~less. Ill start over with people who also want to play the game like it was.
  19. Sygny New Member

Twisted Legion take 2.
  20. Alexanders Augur

All pets are much more powerful then they were back in classic. Mages however have always had the strongest pets even back then. That being said Mage pets are by far the strongest. This does not mean that overpowered pets is not an issue for any other class. The short answer is they are all overpowered but mages are the strongest.

The highest ranked mage pet (not the epic the one that's bought I think it was earth) was parsed during beta doing more damage itself then melee classes, including monks. The mage pets should deal about half the damage a melee dps can deal at level 50, the mage itself is supposed to make up the other 50% of the dps to put them on a similar field as monk and other dps. Alas this is progression server and not classic server we can only hope this gets fixed but don't count on it.

A bunch of other crazy stuff has been happening though, /pick zones, A server Queue, Lockjaw server, who knows maybe the devs can make something work to level the playing field. Nerf Pets!!!