Loyalty and Revenue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurmoon, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Aurmoon Augur

Given the proliferation of "boxes" in the last few years in EQ, I imagine there are a lot of players that want Veteran Rewards for all their accounts rather than just the one they started in 1999. Here is an idea I came up with to reward FORWARD looking loyalty rather than just historical loyalty.

I recommend that DBG grant the full set of Veteran Awards for folks that sign up for the 12-month subscription. The idea would be that a commitment to EQ for another year (per account) is a commitment to keep the game going financially and maintain a strong player base.

I know this won't appease absolutely everyone and that it has some holes, but I'd love to discuss ways in which DBG can implement mutually beneficial changes into the game.
  2. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'm pretty sure they already do this, or at least did use to do this. I remember people buying a year to get some Veteran rewards back in like 2008
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

No. This is not how it worked or ever worked.

Time entitled used to be by PAID time. So if you bought a 2 year subscription, as soon as it billed they would add 2 years to your time entitled and it would stay at that specific year/day number for 2 years until you paid for more time.

It was buggy and messed up a lot, where it would stop accruing at all (was based off tenths of a year, so would say 4.6 years entitled but with 12 months you'd have 2 months a year it would seem to not tick up, but some people's were stuck for years not moving).

Then they changed it due to people exploiting. People would pay for a year, get the time, then cancel it and redo it claiming a CC mistake or whatever. People ended up buying 20 years of time entitled or whatever when they really only bought 1 year.

So it was changed to time paid elapsed. So you had 5.1 bought a year it would still tick up monthly even though it was already paid.

Then FTP happened and they changed it again. Now ALL accounts regardless of payment status, free to play, whatever, gain time entitled. And it is by the day. So now it says 5 years 232 days or whatever.

There is no way to get more time entitled now other than to wait.
  4. AlmarsGuides Augur

So, yes you confirmed what I said originally. I remember people buying yearly subs to claim a veteran reward back in like 2008.

Re reading the original post I missing this part:

That I didn't notice the first time and was never available (and most likely what Abazzagortah was 'noing'), but you were able to buy a 1 year sub and claim the following year's veteran reward.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Another idea would be that when they sell an expansion it would add two years to entitled time for that account. This might encourage more people to buy expansions yearly rather then every few years as some do. Or go with adding two years of veterans for a yearly sub as a less overpowering option.

Btw all my accounts are on one year subs so the OP way would be the most beneficial to me. I just think it might be a bit overpowered. The main reason I figure anyone is doing one year subs is more about the cost savings and less a statement in EQ's future. I can at least say that the reason I use a one year sub is saving money. I do lots of things on my server to help support the game.. organized large scale buff sessions, freebies to new toons/players, welcoming all new and returning people to my guild. But when it comes to subs its all about the cost savings.

And I am not sure Daybreak wants everyone on one year subs.. they make more money having it just depends on how much of a guaranteed income stream they want.
  6. Anhari Augur

Don't forget that you get Vet. Rewards on one unique toon Per Year of elapsed time. Once entitled, that "seat" is used and can NOT be changed. So be careful on who you award the slot to. A lot of us found this out the hard way back when they first started the program.
  7. Zamiam Augur

aye , i lost 2 vet rewards because of this system along time ago.. wish they would make vet rewards account wide instead of toon .. and give me back my 2 vet rewards .. even though all my 14 toons have em anyways now .. could use more character slots .. 17 is a nice Odd #..
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah a nice change would just make Vet rewards account wide and when you delete and remake a toon you don't lose them.
  9. Nolrog Augur

I have been hoping for that for many years now. As someone who plays many alts and has been on multiple servers, I rarely claim the vet rewards because I never know when I may change toons again.
  10. Sokon Augur

I don't support this idea. I would however support them selling an unlimited amount of time, however much time you want to buy, and that that time be automatically granted to the account.

For example, buy a 15 year subscription for $1500.00, get 15 vet rewards immediately.

Giving all the vet rewards for a 1 year subscription inherently doesn't make them veteran rewards anymore, they then become simply subscription rewards.

Put your money where your mouth is, alot more money than a 1 year sub.
  11. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

You forgot the third and probably most important reason, "Infusion of the Faithful". When this Vet AA first came out it was found to be extremely powerful on the final boss burns. So a lot of guilds, the one you and I were both in, and many of the other top 20 guilds at the time, members paid up to the exact time amount to earn Infusion. Which gave a sizable boost to the WIN factor and the server first races at that time.

This decided advantage also played a big part in the system being changed too.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.