loving rof!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sinzz, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Sinzz Augur

man i have been having a blast in crystal caverns, im really liking the fact you have taken old zones and made them worth playing again and look foward to more of this in future expansions.
    Reht, JERUS, Flavius22 and 4 others like this.
  2. Reht The Dude abides...

I have to agree, i am enjoying this expansion immensely. The raids have been interesting thus far and no ball-busting progression to contend with.
  3. Dr Dice Elder

I thought this expansion was going to be a fail. However having more fun than I had in HoT and VoA combined. Only been to half the zones outside getting the travel quest done. LOVE the Kael giant partisan ARC!
    Reht likes this.
  4. UncleUms Journeyman

Agreed ~ this expansion is awesome so far. I love having the old zones to xp in again, and the fact that they are so huge, something that I missed in past expansions. So far this xpac is a total win, EQ feels huge once again.
  5. Pirlo Augur

This expansion has been a success due to several reasons.

Dzarn, who has a special talent in making zones and quests, was allowed to create the entry level zone, Shard's Landing.

This caused most people's initial reaction to the expansion to be positive. (On the contrary, last year with Argath, you had quest mobs being camped, several SI in your way en route to the last partisan, that combine mobs quest was difficult to complete when 4 groups were seeking the same mob, etc etc.)

In addition to that, this expansion has been grouper and boxer friendly. People that need to 'catch up' can get loot from multiple sources. XP on quests makes people feel like they accomplished something if they only have 30 minutes to an hour to play and do something simple. Positive feelings = come back to play more.

The only slight negative of the expansion is that to most hard core raiders, the expansion was too easy and no raid flagging means the expansion has been beat swiftly and on farm mode early.

The bright spot for this is perhaps a few more zones will trickle in, via downloadable content, that will have something harder for groupers (and clearly state to groupers it is higher risk / reward) and also a higher end raid zone, that clearly states, this raid is meant to be hard and worked on for weeks. (to satisfy those upper echelon guilds that crave a challenge)
    Mintalie and Mary Poppins like this.
  6. Mary Poppins Augur

I agree. I was a little skeptical at first when I heard many of the zones were just reused existing ones, but I think it actually works pretty well. This offers a nice balance of nostalgia while also hopefully saving them some troubles of having to start a new zone from scratch. Personally I don't really care for full-on revamps, as although the new zones do look nicer, the originals get lost (and the new ones get deserted soon enough anyway), so I like this new direction they seem to be taking.

It's not without it's problems, but overall I'm fairly pleased with RoF so far.
  7. Reorx New Member

About what level do you need to be to start doing things in RoF, 95ish?
  8. Hatsee Augur

The gear seems to be req 92, so you can get in there a bit sooner.
  9. Ruhtra Lorekeeper

I actually reactivated my 3 accounts. I found most of my guild had moved on to other games or off of my server. I stopped a month or so after VoA went live. I continued to watch the boards here, but after reading others experiences I gave it up.

I'm excited to give RoF a shot, but now I'm 91 almost 92 for my chars and am grinding out the Ferrott. It's boring, but I don't really want to step into VoA again. I don't really want to get the rank 1 spells since my armor is not really changing so the benefit of the new spells I'm guessing would be negated. So I'm hoping I can get to the point where I can start to grind in RoF, I'm guessing I'll have to be close to 95. I hopefully then can back-fill my spells as needed once I get the language tasks done.
    We'll see, I'm looking forward to jumping into it. I just hope I can push through the dull grind of exps in a zone that's too easy but probably the best experience I can get until then.

Meanwhile gorillas will continue to be slaughtered.
    Ellyra likes this.
  10. Reht The Dude abides...

Don't even need to do that, there is an easy task in shard's landing (words of the unspoken) that will force you to 100 Alaran. Just do Welcome to Shard's Landing task, and then you can do Words of the Unspoken now.
    Ruhtra likes this.
  11. TheQxx Augur

At first I was like "Lame, no revamp [of the old zones]" but I'm actually liking it a lot more this way. Romping around Kael again with purpose is worth the price of admission. Also, killing mammoths make fun for glorious Kazakhstan.
  12. JERUS Augur

Aye I've been enjoying it for sure. As has been said, the general feel is a bit more friendly. Most partisans have been pretty solid, there's a few complaints but still having fun.

Some partisans require you to camp extra time for each group member promoting smaller groups and merc usage... i don't like that.
    Some of the merc tasks seem to update based on who pulls the mobs, which is really wonky... i don't like that.
    Lack of snow bunnies

that's about it for my list of dislikes though, everything else i'm liking very much. The use of virtual drops or even auto grant drops is great. No need to loot, no random loot cluttering corpses, just kill till you get lucky and things will update. It's pretty nice and I hope it is used in the future. Ideally IMO if it drops off the mob it should be prelootable for the quest, if it's not intended to be prelootable have it as an autogrant. Doing that would allow things like the larvae in evantil partisan tasks to auto update the entire group so instead of having to kill 15 for 1 person or 90 for a full group you'd just have to kill 15, or maybe 30 if you have a 50% update rate, either way you'd be able to scale it so having a full group isnt' detrimental.

I hope those things are looked at in the future but still RoF content gets an A from me, get the AA/Spells and the entire expansion will get an A =).
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  13. RaceCondition Augur

I've been liking this expansion more than VoA for sure, although I think it might be a little skimpy on new content for group players. No 'new' types of AAs? No 'new' types of spells? Many rehashed zones? Copied systems from EQ2? Unknown what is going to occur with Tier 3 (will it be DLC?).

Although they did an excellent job and making the group named NPC abilities interesting and fun, which must have 'cost' a lot of development time.
  14. Marton Augur

Good effort overall, but I wish new aa's and spells were included with the original release. Also, I really liked group currency in HoT and would like to see it again at some point.
  15. Renaan New Member

I'm so very disappointed in this Copy and Paste expansion that's called RoF.

Why it took so long to even release this I have no idea, when they copied and pasted the zones they didn't even take the time to remove the existing loot tables :(
  16. Kaushi Razorgrin Elder

I complained heavily during beta and was pretty peeved by what I saw, but...

I have no idea how I didn't see how thoroughly awesome RoF is. Actually playing it with a goal in mind and a desire to do more than collect beta stones, it is incredible. There are some very frustrating quests ( snow bunnies) but it is really so much better than VoA and just awesome in general. Now if I could just get more loam to drop so I can make my racial armor...
  17. Diptera Augur

Count me in the "loving RoF" crowd - probably a lot of that is the nostalgia factor (which in turn means I don't have to learn a whole new set of zones, as I already know my way around Kael, DN etc).

To second what people have already said, the Shard's Landing zone is a great place to mess around in - there are plenty of tasks to keep me occupied, there are melee-friendly mobs, kite-friendly mobs, and you don't have to be in cutting-edge gear to go there. More of this, please! /applaud.

It was also one of the smoothest expansion roll-outs I've ever encountered, in terms of downtime, and subsequent patching required.

Yes, the aa's and spells were cookie-cutter, so no new mechanics to play with, but it's still managed to recapture some of the feel of the original EQ (it's been a long while since I found myself sneaking though Kael, genuinely nervous about what happens if a see-invis spots me...).

Congrats and thanks :)
  18. Xirtket Augur

Aside from a couple bugs here and there, also lack of aa/spells being new for now.. I would agree this expansion is pretty awesome, I love going back to the old zones and having a challenge again, also the /ach's are a nice thing to work on as well and give a nice xp reward and some cool trophys.

Good job on this one devs!
    Ellyra likes this.
  19. Ruhtra Lorekeeper

Thanks Reht, I took the time to do the quest yesterday for my 3 chars. I was hesitant to do it but once I saw it was all just gathering and combining in a relatively safe area (I think I agroed 1 named mob) I did it within probably an hour running all 3 chars at the same time which I'm sure slowed me down a bit.

I ended up going and bought some of my chars their important spells. I'm guessing now I'll just grind in VoA and try to back-fill some of the spells I missed and save up the piece I need for the higher level spells instead of paying for the component you turn in from the bazaar.
  20. Elricvonclief Augur

I think RoF is a lot of fun. The raids are interesting, the quests can be fun, and random rares from trash mobs are helping the casual folks gear up a lot faster.