Lots of Tunare Server Suspensions this morning. anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xslia, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xslia Elder

We have players on Tunare - saying their accounts are suspended today (and they were logged in yesterday).
    Galamann likes this.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Why no announcement from Daybreak or email to those suspended is a mystery.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  4. Hogwilld Elder

That would require planning, thoughtful consideration, and for them to care.
    Leerah and Fenthen like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

6. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

We lost a warrior in the middle of raid last night to that ban wave... for buying a defensive rune/glyph off the vendor......
    Fenthen and Galamann like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Because it was an exploit and they do not tell about exploits. It was found, reported, others took advantage of it, some were collateral damage and its over now.

If ones feels one was collateral damage then its best to file a petition, they can look up your purchases.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I understand not talking about how to use an exploit.

However, if you are innocent and your account was suspended, you are now wondering why. You might be checking your credit card and bank accounts. You might think you were hacked.

No, not talking about exploits is not an excuse for leaving your honest customers in a lurch.

It's like if Facebook gets hacked and they go, "Hey, we didn't tell anyone because we don't talk about hacks. If your account was hacked, well, go figure it out if you were hacked on your own".

Also, if your account was suspended, the only way to file a petition is to create another account. Why Daybreak doesn't just lock your account except for a Support area when you can file and view petitions is also a mystery to me.
    Fenthen, tanith, Zanarnar and 5 others like this.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I did, I just hope it doesn't take days to get resolved. For me it was just bad luck on the timing of my purchases. I had been carrying 4 old pieces of gear around since Wednesday night when I upgraded them, trying to decide of it was worth it to buy perfected distillers to remove the purity augs. The loyalty system was down so I was waiting. I happened to be logged in during the maintenance, spending TBM currency, and noticed the loyalty was showing up again. So I stopped by the vendor, checked to make sure I had enough to buy what I needed, and purchased it.

I don't know what tools they have to monitor and deal with this stuff, but I think it would look better if they drew a line between the clear exploiters and the people who probably weren't exploiting.

Did you spend less points than you had? No suspension, we just deduct the points as the system should have.

Did you spend more points than you had? Suspension, and you can try to explain your case.

Because of the scope of this, and the normal delay on CS tickets, I'll be amazed if my ticket gets addressed before the suspension ends. They have to be getting swamped with them right now. Drawing a better line would have reduced the number of tickets coming in, and led to a better experience both for the false positives, and those with other CS tickets not related to this.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Well this explains my Shaman's "Suspension" last night.

Mid Raid.... I have MAX loyalty tokens on every account and they just sit there... bought FOUR Perfected distillers before the raid....

/SUSPENDED.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I imagine that the "drawing a line" might take some time. They wanted to shut down the accounts before massive "money laundering" took place. This I understand.

What I don't understand is not notifying those suspended, "Hey, we suspended a bunch of accounts due to suspected exploiting. If you are innocent, we apologize and are working hard to restore your account." as well as posting a notice on the forum and social media.

They can avoid telling details (not talking about the exploit) while still letting customers know that their account was suspended and will be restored if innocent. Right now we have people very upset and having no idea what happened with their accounts and if they were hacked or might lose their account forever (and they are innocent).
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I have some theories, none conspiratorial, but there's no way to know what they were thinking. This started during their work day, but I don't know when it was discovered and action was taken. Maybe it was later and important people weren't there so somebody made a call and ran with it.

I doubt they have a system to mass notify people who were suspended, they don't even email you when you get suspended. So that lapse isn't a surprise. As far as announcements, I'm sure they thought silence was golden in this case. I really wouldn't expect them to make an announcement about suspensions.

However, if they had handled it differently from the start, an announcement would have made sense.

"Hey, we had an issue with loyalty purchases not consuming the loyalty currency after the maintenance. We are reviewing our records in order to process these deductions. Those who spent more than they had will have their accounts rolled back to before the purchase. If you have any concerns please file a CS ticket."

They certainly know who bought stuff, because that's the list they used for the suspensions. What they did with the list wasn't optimal, but we also don't know how much detail was in the list. I hope in the absence of communication they at least try to get this resolved swiftly.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, are you new here?

(j/k I know you're not, but seriously)
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, they CAN. So why ban people who didn't overspend their balance?

And they removed the vendors, so, no, more people can't exploit it.
    Fenthen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  15. Hayzeus Augur

See, this is another one of those "duct tape" moments we were all chatting about in the other post about them fixing Krono purchases and transfers. The current dev team are likely missing either the depth of experience or the staffing resources to chase down little problems that lead to bigger problems. Then, their knee-jerk sledgehammer fixes screw over a bunch of innocent bystanders.

Even during the outage... trying to log in to the forums (while their authentication servers were offline) led to a SONY-based "page cannot be displayed" type of error. Sony was... what(?)... three owners ago maybe? There's no excuse for these little duct-tape moments to not be fixed by now, but the current team is impotent against the tsunami of little duct-tape moments that have accumulated.

I know someone, somewhere will argue that it's okay that they haven't had the time to fix these types of issues, but it's really not. For a month or two, sure, but years later when stuff isn't fixed to the point that many forget where the duct tape is even placed, it morphs into apathy and abandonment of some core principles.

Every time you turn over one leaf and only find one problem, it's easy to say "well, it's only this one little thing, so let's leave it for now," but eventually you end up with a lawn full of leaves that each have one little problem. There isn't a rake big enough to handle the volume of duct taped problems in this game.

Being unable to handle the exploiters vs the innocent bystanders is just another duct-tape moment. They actually *could* post about it without more exploiters jumping on the band wagon... they willingly choose to not communicate with their subscribers. Their unwillingness to post about it is abandonment, pure and simple.
  16. KrakenReality Augur

Do you ever take day off from defending DPG? This is a terrible management mistake and could cost them numerous accounts for false bans. All they had to do was put out a statement saying: There was issues with the Loyalty Vendor and its removed until fixed. Any interactions with that vendor are being reviewed and your account may be temporarily locked, while its investigated.

See how easy that is and doesn't explain the exploit. This isn't as bad as when they screwed up pushing the Beta vendor onto Live servers and doing individual roll backs on any "tainted" character. Resulting in innocent players being rolled back and more nefarious players benefiting from the item duplication from roll backs.
    Fenthen and Velisaris_MS like this.
  17. Febb Augur

So what people are saying is the loyalty vendor was displaying items at their correct prices, the person bought the item and and loyalty tokens was deducted from their wallet and they were suspended for that transaction?
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yeah, this is another one that is a mystery to me. Why, when they suspend someone isn't there a form email saying, "Hey, you were suspended. If you feel it is wrong, go here and petition.".

But I should just stop posting today. My posts are not doing any good.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No, there is a cap on loyalty bank of 5760 for paid accounts and it was showing far more than that cap so players "could have" bought an almost endless amount of certain items.

Like bags of plat.....15k in each bag and only costs about 436 tokens, a nice return.

So players "may have been" buying plat with non existent tokens that should never have been awarded to the accounts.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

No, the prices were correct, but the loyalty vendor window does not show how many you have. Only your Alt Currency tab shows that. The currency was not being deducted when you made a purchase is my understanding. You'd have to check the tab again after a purchase to know for sure.
    Fenthen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.