Lore Questions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gen.Alexander, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Gen.Alexander New Member

Hi. It seems Lore and Roleplay Discussion section of the forums went to archive, so it's probably the best place to talk about lore now.

Why can't Necromancers be agnostic? They seem more like mages and less like other religious classes to me.
    Can an agnostic Dark Elf be not evil?

Are there any roleplaying EQ websites?
  2. Aurastrider Augur

Well if you look at the class description I think it speaks for itself. "Necromancers are servants of the dark gods" so by definition they cant really be agnostic since it is through these dark gods that they draw their powers.

Mages on the other hand would logically draw their magical powers from the elements (earth, wind, water and fire) therefor would have no need for a god if they decided to not worship one. They themselves are creators of elemental beings while a necromancer reanimates something that was already created.

While I think a dark elves own narcissistic belief system might allow them to be agnostic the pure hatred that they were created from is probably to strong for them to break from this bond and in doing so would probably lead to an inferior dark elf who is cast aside and shunned by his own people. In doing so he would be hated by pretty much everyone in Norrath including his own race which would not be a wise decision.
  3. Gen.Alexander New Member

Thanks. I was thinking about making a DE Agnostic or Solusek Ro following Wizard who cares about knowledge and arcane power instead of being a sadistic worshiper of Innoruuk.
  4. kizant Augur

Dark Elves are the only good and honorable group of people on Norrath. What's this nonsense about being created out of pure hatred? That narrative is just fake news and kinda racist.
  5. fransisco Augur

Its not racist to call them inkys if its true!
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

EQ Fact Check:

Dark Elves were created by the OG of pure hatred, Innoruuk.

From Everquest.com/Deities - "It is the honest belief of the followers of Innoruuk that if they were to hate strongly enough, they could destroy all of Norrath."

That seems like at least a 9 on the evil scale. Destroying the world is pretty villainous. This info comes straight from the authoritative holy book, "www.everquest.com", so we know the information contained within is accurate.

As we can see on this page, the God of Gods, Daybreak Games, has listed Dark Elves as an "Evil" race:

https://www.everquest.com/races

"Innoruuk, Lord of Hate, created the Teir`Dal and his hatred flows through their veins and moves their black hearts."

"The Dark Elves view all other races as inferior; tools to be used for their own evil manipulations."

"There is a labyrinth of evil under the Nektulos Forest called Neriak, the home city of the Dark Elves."

The word "EVIL" is explicitly mentioned at least 3 times in this description.

This fact check has been provided to help the world make informed decisions on Dark Elves, and has been brought to you by Hot Pockets - because you were definitely eating one the first time you stayed up all night reading EQ lore.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Kolani Augur

Being agnostic does seem to make more sense though. Necromancy doesn't seem to be as much divine magic as it does arcane magic to commune with the dead, and both classes being int based seems to bear that out.
    Gen.Alexander likes this.
  8. kizant Augur

First of all, Innoruuk is just a myth. There's was never actually a god called Innoruuk. Just like religions in the real world. They're nonsense. However, regardless of that, if you look at the writings it's clear that he hated injustice more than anything. His followers have adopted a philosophy that revolves around focusing their hatred of all things wrong with the world into creating good and practical solutions. That's why they made him a creator god in the myth instead of a god of destruction. The Dark Elves were created to make the world better through the power of hatred.

Yes, IF the power was focused it could destroy the world. But Dark Elves would never do that. It's just a simple way of framing how strong a force of change they can be.

Dark Elves do have anatomical differences to other elves. Just because their heart muscles are made of darker colored tissue doesn't make them evil.

But look at the source you're using. Daybreak is probably the least reliable company in existence.
    Fanra, fransisco and gotwar like this.
  9. Cloudia Augur

Agnostic "should" work, they care about knowledge and power not some petty little god. More a neutral evil than either chaotic or lawful to use old DnD terms. They draw their dark powers from any gods realm they can reach.
  10. Boze TLP complaint factory

Not able to be agnostic: Cleric, Druid, Shaman, Necro, Paladin, Ranger, SK.
    Other strict requirements: All Iksar worship CT, all Vah Shir are agnostic, and all Drakkin worship Veeshan.
    Class-wise that all make sense to me. I'm sure I'm missing some race/class combo requirements. I guess it kind of echoes some of the debate in here. Why are some races required to worship their creator-god (Iksars, Drakkin) while others with very strong deity ties (e.g., DE) are not?
  11. Gen.Alexander New Member

I also find it strange that Bards can basically worship anything.

Speaking of DE, DE Necromancers can only worship Inooruuk, but not Bertoxxulous. Meanwhile Rogues, Wizards and Warriors have access to a few gods such as Bristlebane. I don't understand it too.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

What if their songs are on all sorts of topics, and to sing about the dieties is similar to worshipping them? For purposes of gaining effects.

Says the Human - Necromancer - Innoruuk - Freeport (kos near bank in start city) <shrug>
    Gen.Alexander likes this.
  13. Gen.Alexander New Member

That makes sense.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The worship of nature does not require a god, or at least not one of Norrath's deities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Spinoza#Philosophy
  15. Gen.Alexander New Member

But game mechanics don't allow an Agnostic Druid. They all follow Tunare, Karana or Veeshan. For that matter I there are no agnostic rangers either.
  16. kizant Augur

You can't be agnostic if you have priest/healing powers. They're external and given by the diety.
    fransisco and MasterMagnus like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Unless your a Vah Shir Shaman - but that's more voodoo stuff.
  18. Gen.Alexander New Member

Do Necromancers and Rangers really have those?
  19. Kolani Augur

Rangers do. Necromancers really don't, their heals are more life steal/transfer.
    kizant likes this.