Loot Settings?! :o

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Soronus, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Soronus Journeyman

The looting in this game is a bit confusing for me at this time. I've had it change on me solo and I don't even know how (it now prompts me if I really want to loot everytime, anything), and in a group, I don't really understand the Masterlooter and filters.

I used the filter checkboxes, but someone else was master looter, so things weren't being distributed? I saw one of the things say "Auto Loot"; does that work in conjunction with ML?

Also, for solo, I like simply selecting the green check or red ex on an item by item basis. Now, it's just a blank box with the confirm.

So in solo, I'd like the green/red option, and in groups, a way to need/greed/no/never that quickly distributes? The 4 options seemed to work, but no one was getting loot. Maybe the other newbie I met was struggling with the UI? Is there a way to set a maximum # of time to select your loot choice, to keep pace?
  2. Zynrael Lorekeeper

When in a group I like to use - ask/autoroll
    after a few new items drop-masterlooter needs to hit the "set-to" button so that whatever they have chosen is applied to the new loot in the table.

ask/autoroll will distribute after the proper rolls are made in accordance with everyones boxes checked. usualy within a few moments of the ML pressing the "set to" button. Just have to remember to hit it after every few kills.

Hope this helps.
  3. Soronus Journeyman

Okay, great. Thank you Zynrael.

Anyone with tips on the solo situation, to revert back to simple Green check and red x's to decide what I want to take and leave behind for others? I checked the help menu, but I didn't see a tip regarding that.
  4. Zynrael Lorekeeper

As for this situation, it sounds like you are bugged. Camp to character select when that happens and when you return you should have the normal red/green options while soloing.
  5. Soronus Journeyman

Okay, I'll see when I head back out there. Thank you!
  6. karmalious Lorekeeper

Problem #1, is that your window was bugged out. That's the first issue.

Next, any time a new player joins the group. For some reason Everquest would make the new player MasterLooter. MasterLooter in case you didn't know is the person in charge of distributing loot. Anytime in the game you can right click your name (or anyone else in your group) and set their roles. MasterLooter is one such role you choose. IF you have your window open and all of a sudden your missing the stop-sign or the Dice button; your probably no longer MaterLooter anymore.

As Zanrael point out: Select the option from the start to "ask/autoroll". Which essential does just that: 1. It asks everyone in the group if they want the loot 2. Then after a period of time starts the timer for automatic rolling.

* If you select ALWAYS GREED or ALWAYS NEED. It will remember your preference and will not have to always keep managing the loot once you get it set up. Of course when you go to a new zone and differently named diamonds drop; you will have to tell Everquest your loot preference on those new items.
    AG = Always Greed
    AN = Always Need

Rolling GREED says "This item is not an upgrade for me and not a necessity, but I would like to have it" ( like diamonds, gems and almost everything in the game )
    Rolling NEED says "This item is an upgrade for me and I need it" Either gear, or maybe is a key you need to access a new area.

As for your other question:
    When selecting [ N , G, AN, AG, or NA ] , the green check mark should switch between these. There is no red X. There is however a RED stop-sign as I mentioned. The Red-Stop, when you click it, means: "Stop the automatic ROLL" (Maybe because it was a rare loot and you are going to pass it out to group members manually).
    DinkumThinku99 likes this.
  7. Soronus Journeyman

The green Check and Red X was in solo situation, and it's still not back. I just get the items and I hit Loot All, followed by confirmation.

So I preferred it before when I was soloing in the mines, and it just had a check and (what I'm pretty sure was) an X. So just click click, rather then going down to the confirm window to loot all (and then another confirmation about lore/quest items on top of that).
  8. karmalious Lorekeeper

I am never completely solo, so I cannot remember any red X's.

However, if you do not like that "advanced loot" window. You can go back to the old way of doing things by going back into it and deselecting "use advance loot".
    You can also remove any loot confirmation messages in the options window, ALT+O

The only problem is that if you do not use the AdvancedLoot window, you can have to manually search the corpses.
  9. Soronus Journeyman

So if someone else is doing the ML, and I'm out pulling, if I click the filter, will they automatically see my preference? Like, I Hit Need, Greed and Greed, and that's all I have to do, or the always need/always pass?

There's no confirmation click?
  10. karmalious Lorekeeper

Nobody knows your individual preferences for each item. To say this another way; there is not a simple way that another player can browse through all of your individual loot options to see if you have yours setup or not.

Unless, I am brain-farting...There are only 5 options to choose from.....
    N - I want to "need this item" just this 1 time
    G - I want to "greed this item" just this 1 time
    AN - I will always need this item
    AG - Always greed-roll this item
    NA - Never loot this item

So, if you chose "N", or "G".... it only works 1 time. And you will always have to keep clicking either N or G.
    However, if you chose "AN" or "AG" or NA", these will save your preferences so you will never have to worry about that item in the future.

You cannot filter, however, you can go deep inside the FILTER SETTING and find a specific item. Let's for example say that you were in my group playing and you were so busy being a good teammate that you completely forgot to check the loot window. As such, a Blue Diamond came up for grabs but because you didn't tell Everquest what your preference is yet, it will assume NA for you automatically and you will be skipped. But since we are talking about in group chat, you want to fix your error before the next blue diamond drops. You know, so you don't miss out again.... So you go into the Filter settings and scroll through all the crap you have ever looted in your life and find Blue Diamond. Now, you can set your loot preference for that blue diamond without having to wait for the next time it drops. Let's say you set it as "AG" like the rest of us. So next time a diamond drops, you can have a roll on it. TIME PASSES... We kill a mob and behold, another diamond drops. Because you went into the filters to manually set your loot preference on this item...It will now always show up as "AG" and you will never have to worry about missing out on another diamond.
    Basically, if you understand me... You can change your loot preference settings 2 ways. Either waiting for the the item to drop from the monster and then setting immediately. Or you can change your settigs after-the-fact by going into Filters, Finding that Item, then changing its setting.

HOW THIS ALL WORKS:
    So, the first time you enter "ESTATE OF UNREST" a really fun classical zone. Basically there are going to be tons and tons of new "loot" in this zone. A lot of it your character probably has never seen before. Thus, this means that you will need to have to setup your loot options for every single item in the zone. After every kill, you will check the loot window and see if anything *new* shows up. Then all you have to do is click either "AG, AN, or NA" and then Everquest will save your preferences and always perform that function. Eventually after camping the zone for a few hours (or a few days) you will probably have setup a loot option for each item in the zone. At which point, you can start to ignore the loot window a little bit more because it will loot everything for you automatically. Just be aware that in Everquest many items are on super rare tables. So, you might have killed that fairy a thousand times and each time he always dropped fairy dust but on the 1,001st try he dropped a super rare weapon. So, occassionally check that loot window because you don't want to miss out on a super rare weapon because because you thought everything was setup already.

IN A GROUP: (it doesn't matter who is MasterLooter, as long as the settings are set to ask everyone/and autoroll.. Then everyone will get a chance at the loot equally.
    The auto-roll means just that: after a certain period of time, the lottery will begin.
    So you kill a mob, 5 items show up in the loot window. But they don't just disappear immediately.

First, the computer gives everyone in the group about 2 minutes before it starts the auto roll.

Then, it first checks which players clicked "Need" or "always need". All the players who chose this option now go head to head in a rolling of the dice.

However, if nobody clicked need... The next system check is for all the players who clicked either "Greed" or "always greed". Then any and all players that chose this option go head to head in a rolling of the dice.

THEN THE LOTTERY BEGINS ( this is how you find out what people are choosing)
    I havent played in a year so I forget the exact messages, but I am pretty sure you receive the messages of:
    1. Everyone rolling in the lottery
    2. The person that actually won the item and looted it.

In the example we have already been using. We have a group of players (just me and you). We kill a werewolf and a "blue diamond" drops. Most of society in Everquest knows already to choose "GREED" for things like diamonds. Like I said in my previous posts: Diamonds are not keys, they are not super rare loots. So almost everyone in Everquest rolls greed for those.

IF you and I BOTH click GREED:
    Player 1 rolls a 232 of 1000
    Player 2 rolls a 888 of 1000
    Player 2 loots a "blue diamond"
    **In this scenario we can see that both of us got a chance to roll on the loot***

IF you clicked "GREED", but I clicked "NEED" (because I wanted to be an assh0le and ninja steal the diamonds):
    Player 2 rolls a 97 out of 1000
    Player 2 loots a "blue diamond"
    ***In this scenario on your screen you didn't even see your name. All you saw was me rolling the dice. And then you saw me win it. Because you know for a fact that you clicked "greed", and ALSO because you didn't get a roll....That means (by process of elimination) that I must have clicked NEED.
    *** Then at this point, you can kindly tell me that this group is rolling only GREED on diamonds. And I can comply with the group rules or get out.

Again, I cannot remember the exact text and Everquest might actually tell you whether it is a greed-roll or a need-roll. But I don't remember.

LASTLY,
    No, there is no confirmation click. Not unless it's a no-drop item. In which case it wants to make double sure you want to loot that item because once someone loots a No-Drop item, It cannot be dropped or traded.
    Confirmations are not really needed, because as I said: You have like 2 minutes once an items drops to choose your loot preference. So it's not like you have to rush to the mob and try to be the first one to loot it.

Yes, the computer will know your preference the moment you click whatever option you want. So, if you are out pulling you will still get a fair share of the loot. That's part of the reason why this advancedLoot feature was implemented, because it used to be that pullers almost never got a chance to loot because they were always out pulling.
    DinkumThinku99 likes this.
  11. Soronus Journeyman

Wow Karma, thanks for typing all of that. So if I make a group, I'll just ensure ask everyone an auto-loot is working. Great.

One last question is if I select "Always Need" for a quest item that requires 10 of something, after I get the 10 of something, will it automatically skip my "need" so I don't accidentally receive more of something I can't use that other people need?
  12. Zynrael Lorekeeper

No. It will keep rolling for need until you uncheck that box. The only time the AI automatically unchecks the need box for you that I am aware of is if the item is Lore since you may only have one at any given time.
  13. Soronus Journeyman

Okay, good to know, thank you!
  14. shruggz Elder

thank you all, this thread has been very helpful.
  15. Gundolin Augur

I thought you still keep the box checked and win roll on lore items. Its just that you can't pick it up so it stays on the corpse and has to be manually looted if anyone else needs it.
    karmalious likes this.
  16. Hegsheoshed Augur

Watch out for the random moment where you accidentally uncheck the apply loot filters on the advanced loot window. A whole lot of check boxes will disappear. Others may have had this happen and will know the frustration of seeing the loot window change during a busy session.