Loot on TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Treytrey, May 4, 2021.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Would the devs want to double to loot so that servers could progress even faster through each expansion and start clamoring for a new progression server sooner?
  2. Triconix Augur

How much earlier can they ask? Some people were already asking in velious, less than 8 months into a TLP.

Kunark release: When is the next TLP?!
  3. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

8 to 12 AHRs/Cursed/Emps is more than you would have gotten in one year without DZs.

What's the issue? Not everyone gets everything. A lot of monks are still wielding tunare/gharns. If you didn't get those hit XTC. No go there? Hit the zek brother with his h2h. Bloodfrenzy.. get more BOC/Hategiver/etc. You have options. There is so much loot MANY people have multiple toons with a good amount of raid gear.
  4. Xhieron Elder

Apparently somebody hit a nerve. It kind of blows my mind that people can be so snarky about a 22 year old game. This isn't bleeding edge stuff. Nobody's getting world-firsts or being immortalized on these TLPs. If you're deciding to be an elitist in your online video game now, you missed your shot back before your kids were born.

We're all 22 years late to the show, and we're only keeping the reruns going because of their charm. Then somebody suggests, "Hey, what if we cut the commercials out?" and all the other demented old-timers throw their pudding cups at him.

This isn't Vietnam we're nostalgic about, guys. I know some of you wear the fact that you #*$% in a sock as a teenager like a badge of honor, but maybe making the accelerated cadence of unlocks reflected in a similarly accelerated cadence of loot acquisition isn't the worst idea in the world. I know you think you're going to be the first old guy on your ward with a pretty bathrobe, but none of the rest of us are impressed by your robe anymore--most of us never were (and also, you're probably not, especially since the robe probably doesn't even come from the robe box this time around).

Sure, the game is perfectly playable without good drops. Hell, it's playable naked for nearly half the classes. TLP-era EQ is not a hard game. And, indeed, if you've got the time to spare, you can totally split raid and pat your bros on the back about how many nights you devoted to the noble pursuit of an extra mystery box. But should you have to? I know you had to back in the day, but that's not a good reason by itself.

You're being disingenuous taking jabs at someone who raises the utterly legitimate point that gearing a raid shouldn't be a headache. Yeah yeah, AoC helps, and sure, things were different twenty years ago. But so what? The gruff chest-thumping isn't fooling anyone. You're not a hardcore pro sticking it to some lesser creature who just doesn't have the chops to cut it. You're just old and set in your ways because you can't stomach the thought that you had it hard for no good reason.

This stuff does actually have consequences, and I think we all intuitively know what they are. Things will be--it is to be hoped, anyway--better this time around, with what we all hope is a better distribution of loot among the entire population, and the ability to get hand-down equipment should help assuage the problems we usually see when it comes to gearing alts, but that doesn't really do anything for the first wave.

What I'm talking about is the other half--the half that can't operate naked. If you've ever had to make a tough decision about which tank to commit to early in an expansion, you know what I'm talking about. That's why guild leaders like a tank who lives in their town, one whose door they can show up at--better yet, they just play the MT themselves.

And why? Well, several reasons, but the one we could actually address is the fact that there's not enough loot to go around to make sure you can afford for more than a handful of people to miss a raid. So now, especially with a server where it will be impossible to predict what drops we're going to see from any given kill, why are we being so catty about the notion that a month might be cutting it close on getting more than that same handful of people geared?

It's because you want to be the only bald, gibbering idiot wandering the halls with your bathrobe open. That way all the other residents have to see your bathrobe, and be cold, and wish they had bathrobes.

Stop it. You're too old for this #$%^.
    Catalina likes this.
  5. Karreck Somebody

The irony of you opening your long winded rant with this sentence is delicious.
    Kylo Classic likes this.
  6. Xhieron Elder

Feisty.

I've no illusions here. I'm an old-timer hanging out in the rest home along with the rest of you. I just think it's a shame that "gear dependence" is more of a consideration for what kind of classes we should advise people to play now than it was 20 years ago.

Thanks for the flattery.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't have to jump to the next expansion as soon as it unlocks and the loot problem that you are talking about is because people kept asking for quicker unlocks which means you don't have as much time to gear up.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

Apparently, someone hit a nerve. The reason there are replies like this are because some people don't want to see more loot. On a 3 month expac in a traditional TLP, the last month is historically lower attendance. More people got what they want, they are already max AAs, max whatever. There is no incentive to play. If people want to be a raid full of BIS raiders, you actually need to do kinda toxic things for; like splitting certain bosses, seeding dzs, etc.

For reference, there is a couple later expacs, namely VoA and RoF, that are absolute loot pinatas. It's great when you are getting there and see this loot rain from the heavens. The problem is by the end of the expac, you are basically replacing T2 VoA gear with T3/T4 VoA gear, because you have nothing else to do. That's wayyy less exciting.

I don't understand what you mean by chest-thumping / hardcore people. It's just people raiding like 2? days a week in a safe dz. That's not hardcore. Don't label anything outside of your narrow view as 'hardcore'. This aint the Cold War against raiding. Stop it. You're too old for this #$%^.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Xhieron Elder

I mean, yeah.... that's kind of the problem. Glad we're on the same page.
  10. Machen New Member

The amount of loot doesn't impact the rate of progression in any way.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

But the speed that expansions unlock does and as people get the faster unlocks that they asked for they start asking for more loot as they now have less time to gear up.
  12. Machen New Member

And there really is nothing wrong with that. No reason there shouldn't be a fast touring server where you have 1 month per expansion, beat each raid a handful of times, and get more gear. It's a different way to play the game but it's a reasonable thing to ask for, given that there are almost 30 expansions now.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is no reason to be fully decked out in best in slot items either, you don't need that in order to beat the next expansion. The point is people keep asking for the game to be made easier and at what point do you just get all your gear for beating a single raid? They have already done a lot to make getting geared up easier and quicker with agents of change and on this server with free trade.

If we ever come to a point on a TLP where it is impossible to beat raids in the next expansion because you lack gear from the previous expansion you might have room to talk but as far as I am aware that has never happened.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Sounds like Selo. What expac did they stop clearing in era?
  15. Machen New Member

It's not asking for the game to be made easier if you've got one month in an expansion and it drops gear at a faster rate. In fact, that's a harder game/TLP than expansions that last 3 months with no increase in gear. Learning the encounters in the later expansions takes time. A server like selo's isn't easy because it's fast. Just the opposite.

I am generally opposed to the game being made easier, and I reject the notion that because we only get 3 months on an expansion on most TLP's, that we need more loot. You're right, we don't need bis everything or even close, and Fippy/Vulak, Ragefire, and Phinigel have all shown that. But you DO need SOME gear.

Selos was another matter. They actually got more loot than normal TLP's, due to reduced lockouts. That worked to give them what they needed. But there's a better approach for them to get that additional loot. Instead of forcing people to raid every night to get adequately geared for the next expansion, DPG can just double the loot on a one month server and leave the lockouts alone. It's healthier for the players, and more effective at accomplishing the purpose--more people will play later into the expansions.
  16. Machen New Member

No, just the opposite. I originally proposed a server like Selo back two years before they created it, but with bonus loot instead of reduced lockouts. It makes a big difference, and there's a reason only one guild basically lasted deep into the expansions.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I will go back to my original point, increase the speed of loot and people will complete the expansions faster and become bored. Once this happens they will ask for expansions to unlock faster and we will be back to the point of asking for more loot because it isn't dropping fast enough. In the end you can either have expansions unlock faster or more time to get all the loot you want.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

I agree. Double loot > half lock outs. But 3 months is more than enough time in an expac to be setup for the next one. Mid-late expacs need more flag drops so you can go to the deeper tiers faster but loot is fine, especially since when you start getting deep into the game the group gear gets pretty good compared to last expacs raid gear so you don't fall super behind if you're not getting raid loot.
  19. Machen New Member

Yeah, and I agree with this but I don't think anyone is ever going to want faster than 1 month expansion unlocks. Nor do I think expansions that last 2-3 months should be given more loot. No one is going to get bored with an expansion that lasts a month and drops 2x loot.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  20. Kylo Classic Augur

You don't need cloth armor to progress, sell it.