Loot on TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Treytrey, May 4, 2021.

1. Treytrey New Member

So many changes because of TLP, how about this one FOR TLPs?

We do about a year's worth of content in 8 to12 weeks. We have the same lockout timers and loot tables as live. So.... most expansions are played through, raiding events as timers drop, and guilds only get 8 to 12 weeks worth of loot.

My current guild, now in PoP:

12 weeks of Luclin, ONE Bloodfrenzy. One monk weapon for the entire expansion. One Aten BP. I could go on and on. Then PoP drops, and 75% of the guild is under-geared. (PoP farming is long as hell, so that might be the only exception to this.)

Devs.... add more loot per raid target. It hurts nobody and makes more people want to play. Again, a year's worth of content in 8 to 12 weeks. There is not enough loot dropping in 8 to 12 weeks to maintain enjoyment for 50+ people.

Don't like that idea? Then devs.... reduce TLP lockouts. Let us raid more so we can acquire more gear to be more prepared for the next launch.

Thanks.
    Kylo Classic and andross77 like this.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Its 6 months of content. Plenty of guilds have made it, suck it up buttercup.
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Selos Server did the halved unlock timer thing - many players didn't like that solution but actually that's the least workload-heavy method of doubling loot for a fast unlock (monthly unlocking) server.
    To increase the loot for raids would be quite workload heavy for the dev having to do that.
    Ngreth did it retroactively for Underfoot for example but that was only because he had the loot tables to hand - for all of the expansions prior to ToV the dev would need to research/check/confirm the loot from every event of every expansion before adding in a multiplier, that would not be a quick process and it would not have a significant payoff unless the company planned to make many more monthly unlock servers in the near future.

As far as bumping up loots for standard 12/8 cadence unlocking TLP servers, well I don't think it is needed - having played from Launch to Velious on Ragefire & GoD onwards on Phinigel the faster unlock pace never really hurt any of the guild's through any lack of loot - Underfoot did get it's loot doubled but the later expansions also got raid currencies added and that really helped guilds to gear up better on TLP when they added multipliers for raid currency to TLP, okay so not all of your raid force will be full "Best in Slot" by the end of each expansion but they absolutely do not need to be.

Overall I think raid loot volume is fine as is & if you want more and have enough players then get used to split-raiding and bringing along some boxed characters to help the split-raiding.
    I will admit that I used to worry that the amount of loot on TLP would not be enough but turns out I was wrong, Live servers players certainly have had a gear advantage vs TLP players when tackling content but that's somewhat offset by tuning changes filtering back to TLP by the time they get to those expansions.
    Appren likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

People complain that the unlock schedule is too long and they also complain that they can't get enough loot when it is shortened. The devs just can't win.
  5. Febb Augur

Hey guys, I play once a week for one hour. I need to have those lockouts reduced to 0 and loot drop 100% of the time.
    Nolrog likes this.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

I'm sure you know live servers don't have AoC right? So back when they had a year to farm luclin it was only OW and the spawn timers were slower than they were. In that year unless you were a top guild you probably didn't even get to zone into VT much less farm BiS for every raider. Like it was mentioned above, the loot is fine in this era and if you want more then raid lean and split or try to contest OW against the zerg guild(s).
    Skuz, Qimble, Appren and 1 other person like this.
  7. error Augur

Eh, if they can randomize loot tables I can't imagine changing the number of items dropped would be significantly more difficult. Of course, nobody here is privy to their database schema so speculating on the amount of effort involved is sort of pointless, but honestly, even if they had to manually change the drop counts of the 1-2 dozen meaningful raid targets per expansion one-by-one it really shouldn't be that much work.

My guess would be that they're probably just fine with some items being rare. It's not like guilds are going into expansions crippled and unable to progress due to poor RNG on drops, as long as you have the numbers and know the fights you're still going to faceroll the content. Personally I wouldn't mind a bump to drop counts, but I can see how the devs wouldn't consider it a problem that needs fixing.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well Ngreth was the "items guy" at the time so if anyone knew what was involved it would be him.
  9. Zanarnar Augur

Well, as I was mentioning to a co-worker just yesterday... we will have a lot more raid loot this time around due to the random loot tables. EVERY raid boss in the right level range will be worth killing regardless of their drops.

So on the past servers, as time goes on, the less good targets would get pruned from raid schedules and guilds end up focusing efforts on the raids with the best rewards. Now every boss will stay on farm, we should have a lot more drops over-all, and with tradable raid loot... well we should actually see more gear this time around.

I wish classic would be 2 months too, as I detest rushing to level up. MMM guess I should get to finding a home if I'm actually gonna play here :p
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Iyacc Augur

This. I know everyone on a TLP was in the top guild of the world back in the original run when you talk to them but most of us never even sniffed these zones in era. You're getting more loot now due to guaranteed access with the AoC than you ever did in open world 15 years ago.
    Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  11. Triconix Augur

These days people just cannot have enough. It's always wanting more as if it's expected to have BIS in every slot each expansion. It doesn't help that devs usually give in these days. The loot pinata that live is now is a joke.

Back in the day, you didn't have instances. You had one VT for the entire server. It also wasn't a year of content because expansions were on a 6 month release schedule. To those thinking they should be fully geared out every 8 weeks, get a reality check. Deal with it. You signed up for accelerated content releases knowing full well the implications of their being less loot.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

You don't need a Bloodfrenzy or fangs to progress. Get over it.
  13. Mrjon3s Augur

If you want more loot split raid.
  14. Xeris Augur

Why stop at increasing loot drops... Let's just add a purchase to the dbg store that makes your char bis for 5000 dbc!
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

A lot of players, especially on Selo, expressed the interest in doubling loot in lieu of faster unlocks. It makes sense on an expedited TLP, but "normal" speed, there has to be a balance to keep players actually logging in.

Even on Agnarr, a very popular server, the last 2 to 3 weeks of every expansion saw massive dropoff. And this was the true prime era of EQ with less other TLP competition.

Many of us probably imagine that another Selo TLP is in order, and perhaps the tweak of double-loot will be the hook/change/gimmick that warrants the next iteration. It was a popular server, but burnout was real, and perhaps more importantly, the casual sentiment seemed to be quite defeated in the sense that they absolutely could not tread water. Even hardcore raiders had no prospect of being BIS.
  16. Triconix Augur

It wasn't until yearly expansion unlocks and raid currency became a norm in which even high end raiders would be fully BIS each expansion. It was next to impossible due to random loot. The only exceptions I could see would be assigned loot/loot council funneling gear into their tanks. Even then it was difficult as you only has 20-30 weeks before brand new content was released.

Look at the history of some serverwide wins for harder events. OMM wasn't beaten until a month AFTER Dragons of Norrath released. That means it was literally impossible to get BIS in era for OOW. Also, the OOW bp template (Jayruk's Vest) only dropped off two events - OMM and AMV. Seeing how AMV dropped only 1 of either legs/chest item, it was also impossible to get a full raid force one let alone two before DON released.

Most TLP guilds break into the content way faster than ever before. The farming per era probably isn't too far off than it was when it was live. Using OOW again, the best guild got into CoA mid/late Oct if I remember correctly. That means they only had it for roughly 3-4 months before DoN was released.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  17. Karreck Somebody

I wouldn't be opposed to a minor drop increase. Like right now most bosses drop what, 2-4 pieces of loot depending? Making that 3-5 wouldn't be an issue for me.
    However, the coding aspect of this change could be cumbersome.
  18. Machen New Member

This doesn't equate to a lot more loot overall. In the past, every raid boss WAS killed by every guild capable of killing every raid boss. If you were in a competent raiding guild that raided enough hours, they were already doing every mob every week. Now, guilds that can do that will still kill every mob every week, while guilds that aren't able to do that will still not be able to do that.

There may be a few fringe mobs like Faydedar that might get killed more often, but you aren't going to see drastically higher levels of raid loot flooding the server.
  19. Roxas MM Augur

you dont need bis gear to be able to beat the next expansion, not even close.
  20. Machen New Member

I think it should be relatively obvious that doubling the loot table for each mob would not be any harder than randomizing loot across similar level named. They've chosen to invest the time to do one hard thing; they are capable of doing the other if they wish.