Looking to resume EQ yet again

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Braxton, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Braxton Lorekeeper

Hi all,

I'm resubscribing to All Access tonight - main intent is for EQ2.

I have very little play hours on EQ (EQ1).

From my understanding, EQ has an even higher player base than EQ2, and more to do??

What severs would be good, looking for something populated and with players to chat with, group with, and later on guild up with.

A few years back I was told by a customer service rep that there are more people online on EQ than EQ2, and EQ has a larger group than EQ2. Is this still true?

Thanks again...

Oh yeah, I'm up for TLP servers... Just not sure where to go to start. This weekend is going to be fun, filled with Questing.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm fairly sure it will always be true, if for the simple reason of the fact that EQ came first, and EQ2 while it is far more casual and mainstream friendly, never was as instant gratification as WoW so it peaked and dropped below EQ's population shortly after its ad revenue was cut. EQ also has the draw of having been the most successful of the first generation of true MMORPGs; having influenced all of the games that came after it in some way.

With the exception of Vox and Trakanon, most of the severs have a decent population, though we are still coming off the annual summer lull, so they are not as high as they will start to be later in the year (especially after the expansion release). The new TLP servers recently opened Kunark, and so will likely be at least another 6 months or so on that expansion so you would have plenty of time to catch up.

I would say no matter what server you choose, be sure that you join both the NewPlayers and the General channels (one or both should be autojoined for you when you make your character initially along with your class channel); I would suggest asking in those channels for advice on which guilds are good for helping you learn your class and the game as a new player.

The plus of the TLP servers is that there will be a fair amount of people in the lower level range with which you can group as you are going through the lower levels. The downside however is that those servers lack a number of things which makes it easier for you to do things on your own when you lack time to find a group and play for an extended period of time.

I personally play on the live servers and not on the TLP ones, simply because I've done all that before and it gets boring for me after a while with the limits on what all content is available. But if it is your first time through, I think that it might be a fun experience for you since you are subscribed already.

Are you going to have a set day(s) and time(s) during which you will be playing EQ specifically, or is it going to vary depending on your mood?