Looking for some server selection advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ziffiz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ziffiz New Member

Hi folks, Im looking to return to playing eQ. I have 2 long time accounts on a Live server with chars in the 50s - 80s. I have support and money here. I also want to start a new rogue, a class ive never played. One other thing that is important is to have a few friends to adventure with and to help each other out. Casual raiding at some point.

On Live Im assuming there would be no groups to be had, box and merc would be my life. When I log in there it appears the whole server is motionless in the guild lobby all the time waiting for a raid to be called. Doable but seems like a lonely experience.

Then there are the progression servers. I would have to start from scratch. I definitely liked the classic through Pop era the best but not sure I want to be stopped at Pop forever. I also dont like to true box, prefer to play 2 accounts on a single box from just a convenience perspective.

Is there enough population on Ragefire/Lockjaw? Is it also just a boxfest?
  2. Anhari Augur

Ragefire was a boxfest in the past, but I don't know how "bad" it is today. If you want to play solo (no box) then I would suggest either Phinagel or Agnarr, both are true box servers so you would be limited to your one account, but getting groups is much easier, and Kunark is just about to release on Agnarr. Phin is at Pop if I remember correctly, maybe even OoW or GoD.

As for live servers, you can transfer to any live server with a token (buy it from the marketplace) if you are not on a server that has an "active" population.

I like both Xenogy and The Rathe for live servers that you can move to/move off of. If you don't mind being "stuck" on a server, and would like to be able to purchase most of your gear to get started, the move to Firiona Vie.

On Xenogy I like <Lions of the Heart> - (Corwyhn Lionheart is the GL)
    On The Rathe, look into <The Eternal Darkness> (TED for short), Contact Roxanna

both are good guilds, high population of all levels/classes and are casual raiding, love to group, and are the most helpful people I have ever met in the modern era.
    microscope likes this.
  3. Truespeed New Member

Agnarr is alive with a lot of low levels and support. I started over from scratch a few days ago and loving it.
  4. Diocletian New Member

I wouldn't count on Agnarr being locked at PoP forever. If the fledgling Daybreak sees a potential continuance of revenue, they will at minimum allow transfers off of the server. Possibly even let us "vote" to go beyond PoP. DB is a, "for profit," organization, and will do anything to keep paying customers paying. If you owned a business, wouldn't you do the same?

Agnarr has brought an amazing amount of old school players back to the game. Believe me, I've been playing since BETA. If I owned Daybreak <OMFG I wish I did>, I would try almost anything to keep this player base here. The original EQ players are nothing like new MMOs have ever seen, and never will again.

My advice is to play on Agnarr. I grouped with a ROCKSTAR group in Crushbone just last night. Forget that Agnarr is stopping at PoP- it's not. There Are plenty of low level groups, AMAZING players, and an incredible amount of potential. Kunark launched only yesterday, so catching up will be child's play.

Hope to see your team on the battlefield...

E L I S I A S
  5. Treiln Augur

Eh. Maybe. I bet it stays for a few reasons.

1) There's already servers that are time locked that go past PoP. Why make another?

2) People have been asking for a PoP locked server.

3) A lot of old timers/returnees that showed up for Agnaar think that EQ wuot being EQ after PoP.

4) see 1
  6. Diocletian New Member

1) For profit. Players will get bored and leave to another game. I never said to make another sever. Try to enhance your reading comprehension.

2) For now. Wait until everyone hits the road block.

3) What? WTF? That sentence makes my brain into scrambled eggs. WTTF?

4) You are an idiot. See 1.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

wuot = quit

I speak typo.

Agnarr isn't going to get unlocked, but I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed transfers off it. Unlocking it pisses off the people who came back for a locked server, but allowing transfers gives flexibility without ruining what they built. Especially since they recently made changes to keep the tutorial off Agnarr based on the expansion it locks at. Even after it has locked, there will still be a reason to start there and play to max level. It will be an experience that is unique and different from a live server.
  8. Darwin New Member

I started on Phini, then moved to Agnarr, then got bored. I ended up on FV. This whole "EQ quit being EQ after PoP" doesn't do justice to how fun the full game is. I never played past Kunark back in the day, and then not past PoP on Phini, and I've been blown away by how fun the full version of EQ is. My chars are in their upper 70s and are working through SoD achievements for paragon armor atm, so I can't speak to the end-game, but here's some observations:

1) Mercenaries, particularly journeyman mercenaries, are awesome. They essentially powerlevel you to ~60, allowing you to play your favorite class and explore zones fully as you level. On progression servers, you're limited by the need for groups, the limitations inherent to your class, and that the level spread of dungeon mobs often means that only a couple of camps are both worth it exp-wise, and doable at your level.
    2) Boxing 2 chars on live servers is easy and fun. With a healer merc and tank merc, you can pair up any two classes you'd like to play. Boxing on progression servers is significantly more difficult, since you need 2+ computers.
    3) There's nearly 20 years of content shared across a relatively small population on live servers. There are beautiful, wonderful zones with interesting loot waiting to be explored, conquered, and pillaged. Why play 10% of the game? Most of the post-PoP leveling zones I've explored on FV are superior to classic zones, both visually and in terms of enjoyment.
    4) I can get a group when I want one. I've made friends with several other players with chars around my level. I chat with the other rangers in the ranger channel every time I log in. But I can solo/molo/2-box whenever I want, pretty much where-ever I want. Sure, Agnarr was more social, but there were so many trolls and scumbags that these interactions were frequently unpleasant. The live server communities are smaller, but, in my experience, friendlier and better at the game.
  9. Treiln Augur

Let's break this down to a 5th grade level for you:

1) No one said anything about making a new server. Unlocking Agnarr past PoP would essentially turn the server into another Phini, Ragefire, etc server. See how that works?

1.5 + 2) There are already servers that started at Classic and unlock over time. These attracted a crowd and brought in revenue. But why did it not bring back the ones who showed up specifically for Agnarr? Because they want it to be locked at PoP. That's the part that attracted them. If they want to go past PoP, there's live servers and other progression servers. If people want to go past PoP, they'll go there.

3) Apparently my phone doesn't like to auto correct lol
    Much thanks haha
  10. Scorrpio Augur

I am curious to see what end of summer will do to Agnarr. Summer is historically a slump in MMOs as people are away, spend more time outdoors. For those who play in summer, numbers are down, raiding is blah, and a server like Agnarr provides a perfect diversion. If come September, people dust off their lvl 105 mains, Agnarr population just might see a huge nosedive. Especially if/when next expansion hits live.
    Not much to worry about though. If you start now on Agnarr and in a couple weeks it is a ghost town, you can start from scratch on live and in a week you will be higher level and with better gear than anyone on Agnarr will ever be.
  11. NeoX1 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Agnarr is not going past LDON. Won't people get bored?