looking for opinions on heal focus songs

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Svann2, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ive tended to throw these 2 songs into my melody fairly consistently, assuming based on the description that they are useful - Pulse of Nikolas and Kai's Reckless Renewal. But I dont really know for sure and wonder if I could get some feedback. Do they both help you heal? Or are there stacking issues or something that makes them negligible? Does it focus? I know the data says yes but thats been wrong before. And if I wanted to drop one or the other which would be less useful than the other.
    [62980/1925] Pulse of Nikolas Rk. II
    Classes: BRD/116
    Skill: Singing, Max Focus: 320%
    Target: Caster Group
    Range: 100', AE Range: 60'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 3s
    Duration: 12s+ (2 ticks) Song, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Healing by 13% to 14% (v125, Before Crit)
    2: Limit Max Level: 120 (lose 5% per level)
    3: Limit Effect: Current HP
    4: Limit Max Duration: 0s
    5: Limit Type: Beneficial
    6: Limit Spell: Exclude Complete Heal
    7: Limit Spell: Exclude Complete Heal
    8: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
    9: Increase Current HP by 312 per tick
    10: Increase Current Mana by 227 per tick
    11: Increase Current Endurance by 22 per tick
    Text: Your body pulses with mystical power.
    Book: Utility Beneficial/Spell Focus
    ---------------------------------------------------
    [63028/1952] Kai's Reckless Renewal Rk. II
    Classes: BRD/118
    Skill: Stringed, Max Focus: 320%
    Target: Caster Group
    Range: 100', AE Range: 60'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 3s
    Duration: 12s+ (2 ticks) Song, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Chance to Critical Heal by 25% up to level 120 (lose 10% per level)
    2: Increase Chance to Critical HoT by 25% up to level 120 (lose 10% per level)
    Text: Your healing spells are strengthened.
    Book: Utility Beneficial/Spell Focus
  2. Rongo New Member

What situation are you thinking about?
    For raiding situations I would presume, bards are most likely to be in dps-groups and there for adps and dps. At the actual group-game any real priest should be able to keep the group alive. At most places a bad pull is better countered with an ae-mezz rather than attempting to boost healing.
    " Kai's Reckless Renewal" for my knowledge would be the less useful, as the priests have an activated aa with a better effect, which can be used if needs be.

The shamas aa is named "Spiritual Blessing"
    "This ability, when activated, grants your instant-duration healing spells a 100% chance to score an exceptional heal but increases the mana cost of all spells by 14% for 30 seconds."

the clerics and druids version "Healing Frenzy"
    "This ability, when activated, grants your instant-duration healing spells a 100% chance to score an exceptional heal but increases the mana cost of all spells by 30 to 50% for 18 seconds."

"Pulse of Nikolas" should do all what it describes. There are no stacking issues I am aware of.
    Apart from the healing support, the regenerating part would be helpful as well.

My playstyle is more "get it done before it gets nasty" so I would prefere the bard in group helps to get mobs down as fast as possible, cc if bad pulls are incoming. As far as we are actually in ToL I can handle my healing duties and wipes occur only if bad pulls are really bad. Somtimes our puller touches a certain bottle which seems to create a cone-AE which can't be stopped by any structure. This sometimes brings more mobs to the camp, than expected :)

An adequate tank + an adequate priest should be able to handle current content.

If you feel the priest in charge needs help, "Pulse of Nikolas" I would claim the more useful.
  3. Cadira Augur

I don't know if it was ever intentional or changed but I remember the reckless renewal line used to be focused to the point it would grant everyone, even mercs, a 100% chance to crit even if they had a zero chance to crit. Made merc healers actually good.

If Merc healers are in your group and this is still true, I'd say hell yeah throw it in the twist. For a real healer, 25% or not, it might be a little overkill in most situations but it might also be a better choice than a crap dps proc. But you'd probably be better off with a dot instead.

Raid tank group? Def want reckless renewal loaded.

As far as pulse....I'm not sure how much real affect this has on our heals, sorry.
  4. Tucoh Augur

For grouping the Reckless line is, in my opinion, the most underrated bard song. I use it and put it in the same class as the War March / Aura of Pli Xin Liako lines (I have three GINA timer bars for these so I know they're on my group).

When I parsed its effect I found it increased heal crit rate by 35% or something. This is a pretty big deal because it not only helps healing classes who are constantly overhealing, but it also helps any characters swinging heal proc weapons/augs (who often don't have any native healing crit). My bard typically uses a heal proc main-hand weapon with two heal proc augs and can sustain a pretty good amount of healing on the tank. If they pop Flurry of Notes with Renewal up they will out-heal a priest's direct healing.

I use a boxed bard and 99% of the time I have one melody that mixes reckless/warmarch/aura with insults and DoTs. I'd recommend any bard strongly consider/parse the benefit of Reckless when deciding whether they need it more than a crappy DPS proc or another DoT or another insult cast.
    Wulfhere and Szilent like this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

The answer is "no" -- the amount of overhealing already going on in the game, you're better off running anything else to help with tank aggro or DPS output or something.
    Pano and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

My first thought as well. Perhaps it's because I am not a raider or maybe my characters gear sucks, but how often do you heal and the target is not 100% health afterwards? Not very often for me. Deaths happen because heals aren't getting on target fast enough, not really because of heals not healing for enough health.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. ptah Augur

My answer to this is: sometimes and situational.
    As a Bard main, I veiw myself as difference maker, not a changer. Aka I dont start the fire, I put gas on it.

Reckless>Pulse. In the correct spot both are good to PC healer if called for and bonus bang merc more so. Impact wise imho.

Attempting to paint a picture here, short handed group. We are using merc healer and merc tank. Yes im using both of those. Yes at times its over blown or healed, but in pinch I rather over heal than run back.

Now, rarely do I find a spot for benefit haste song, as 30% focus on boots and normal heals being used just dont add up to much. About the time I can recall is chain AE, group heal with all you can eat heals. Rare.

Its got a spot but again its sometimes and situation needs call for it, other wise. Burn the Mother down.