Looking for ideas for training people who are new to raiding

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nightops, Oct 3, 2017.

1. High Voltage Augur

First I thought this is plain arrogant and swanky. But might be you are just not the sharpest tool in the box.
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

It is my firm belief that the groundworks for good raiding are laid in the grouping.
    This ranges from class-knowledge about your own class
    (learn from others by imitation in a "safe" environment where you are not "distracted" by the need to follow emotes etc)
    over knowledge of other classes
    (which class can support me with what under which conditions - what do THEIR abilities do to help me, why should i take note of THEIR messages etc)
    to "proper" teamwork, including individual burns, team-burns and such

One mistake i see people do a lot since i joined a raid guild is that people log on ONLY for raids.
    Even if their RA is still high perhaps, people tend to become... inflexible, caught up in "their ways".
    And raids aren't really the place to learn the BASICS of raiding or to "test" new sequences of casts/abilities or new ways to communicate with each other..
    Rather, a raid is the place to put the before-tested sequences/abilities to a "true test" against a boss/script - but at that point the "human error" has been mostly removed through experience/testing.
    Ideally, especially when facing "new things", you want to know that you can rely on your neighbor to "do his job" blindly.
    And that can really only be done in the group game.
    Which is one reason why i make a point in grouping with different people.
    (oh, of course i have some people i group much more frequently with - but i do not build a group around me if you know what i mean but "take what i can get" )

You are right.
    "Being a jerk" is bad - and not intended by what i and probably he whom you quoted too were doing.
    Talk was about applicants that you do NOT know yet.
    Sure you put them "to the test" in some way.
    My way, as a tank, is to see how they perform under (some) pressure.
    I *TRY* not to be a jerk doing that - but if i go 2h or dual and see my agro go up into the yellow even without me even TRYING, then i know the app needs to improve if he wants to pass.
    And if i am beyond that "stage" and actually TRY to contest agro, then it's probably less about his "game skills" but his personal reaction.
    It's hard to describe...
    But being a jerk is certainly NOT the point, nor in any way "necessary" to do what we (me and the other guy you quoted) are doing..

And my take on why some guilds keep the top5 serverwide is primarily because they make their members to raid lockout-timers and second because they might have a "better" roster (as in class-distribution and also the bench) than some others.

This is exactly what this thread is all about:
    People that aren't very good (at raiding, and yet).
    SOMEWHERE the basics need to be learned.
    And that takes far more than 15minutes.
    Also, by the sounds of it, the OP isn't speaking about a top-end guild, but more likely an alliance or a familiy guild that wants to achieve something with the means THEY have.
    Which seems to me like a totally different situation than you are in when you speak of "why WE keep number 1 every year".

LOL...
    In this post you repeat the "mistake" in the other one i think:
    Talking to the "wrong" audience - mostly anyways.
    You talk about know, know, know...
    When the OP asked HOW he could best/most efficiently "give" his people that knowledge.
    Again, his audience most likely differs greatly from your raid force.
    He's looking for ways to homogenize his raidforce while you tell him to expect this and that or discard people.

There is ONE thing though in your post that i think is truly a gem:
    This is oh-so-true!
    And exactly the kind of problem "lower" guilds face, accompanied by such things like a "core" of say 20-30 raiders and "fillers" that are mostly low-RA or low-experience/low-confidence people.

The only way to "make" people log on for raids instead of the slack grouping they might WANT to do is "peer pressure" and well.. enjoyment.
    Successes are important, and because of that, in extension, so is the loot.

You need a team on raids, so like in sports some "teambuilding" is needed - you can buy Neymar and other stars but that doesn't give you automatically a good and successful TEAM too.

So in closing perhaps one more "tip":
    Carefully pick your targets to fit your raidforce.
    Do not throw them into the "cold water" - build confidence and successes.
    I know that is not easy when group gear is basically on par with last year's raid gear.
    But i hope you find a way!
    Even if that means that you "only" raid Droga for a while and otherwise are more in TBM or even older but "fun" events.
  3. Thrillho Augur

Theory vs. practice. Nothing wrong with a dress rehearsal before the main show. It isn't a common occurrence for me to do something like that, it just happened that I was on one night and someone needed to run through Chardok for something and we thought it'd be fun to do. I didn't use an aggro pot, but I also didn't hold back either. When I can survive against every normal mob in the game, most named, and the occasional raid boss, me pulling aggro isn't going to wipe the group.

And when I said she made it to full member, I didn't mean the deciding factor was the group in Chardok. She still had to go through the full app process.

Some people are not very good at the game. First sentence in the post:

One could reasonably argue that a person new to raiding wouldn't be good at it. ROI isn't going to take in project-level raiders. If your first question to them is "what do you parse?" and they respond with "what's a parse?", chances are you won't need to deal with them beyond thanking them for their interest.

It may have been a jerk move for us to stack the deck against the new tank and try to pull aggro off. But it would still be considerably less aggro pulling than what would be encountered in a raid when a full burn is called.

Trial by fire is a common theme for the upper echelons of EQ. A 15 minute conversation before an application is accepted is usually all you would need to evaluate if a person knows what they're talking about and can be put in as an applicant. It's certainly not enough to move someone from the cold world that is grouping, into the warm embrace of raiding.
  4. Goneamuk Journeyman

My recommendation would be to hit up older raids - there's something to learn in so many. It depends on where people are weak/untrained. Soltaris, MMM, SoD, and Underfood. The balance raids are the most challenging since people's dps has become so high. The SoD raid where people have to click a torch at the same time, stuff like that. It helps people understand some of the concepts of the game and learning how to work as a unit, while not letting mistakes wipe the raid completely.
  5. Phrovo1 Augur

a tank that sees people ripping aggro off them will question how they can prevent that. it's a basic test and if the tank doesn't bother trying to figure out how not to have aggro ripped away, they aren't raid material (and often times I just don't bother with groups I see them in)
  6. Scorrpio Augur

Lets see...
    1. Locate a bunch of inexperienced people trying to raid something.
    2. Run around the zone, aggroing a lot of of mobs.
    3. Run into the middle of the raid.
    4. (Optional) FD.
    5. Profit!

Sorry, couldn't resist given the thread title. :p