Looking for boxing advice.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fittirc, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Fittirc New Member

Hi guys, I'm a returning player that started on Vox a little while ago. I leveled up a druid and enchanter to 62 so far, using gold status wizard mercs to tank and blow things up pretty quick. I decided to switch over to FV anew. I just have a few quick questions, if you don't mind. Should I start an sk box and do a druid/enchanter/sk combo? If you guys can recommend a two box that would work well, I'd rather stick with that. But if 3 is the way to go, then I'll stretch out to three boxing. Also looking for any 2 or 3 boxing recommendations.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The core of my box crew is SK and Druid. I have a wizard that almost always rounds out my 3 box crew. I predominantly use a merc healer and wizzy dps mercs.

I have tried lots of combinations, including all of EoK group content with a 6-box (sk/dru/wiz/beastlord/mage/bard). I also 4-boxed my regular threesome with an enchanter (very powerful synergy with druid and wizard). I am currently 4-boxing sk/druid/wizard/beastlord because I find it enjoyable :)

If you are playing by yourself, I think you will prefer 3-boxing over 2-boxing, because your group will be significantly more powerful (that 3rd toon and merc should be all about DPS). But make sure you can handle them - dead weight toons can be worse than no toons at all. I reckon that if I can't play each of my toons individually on a raid, then I don't really know how to play them :)

If you go with a druid, you could definitely substitute a chanter for the wizard that I use. Especially with druid dots in the state they are in right now, but they will probably be nerfed soon. But once you get your SK figured out, you will almost certainly drive from it's screen and you won't be switching to your enchanter for crowd control.
    RenDnB and Tucoh like this.
  3. Fittirc New Member

This is wonderful advice! Thank you! I'm now contemplating subbing the enchanter for the wizard. Though, quick question. Would I need slows?
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't think you need slows, once your tank is geared adequately (for the content you are facing). Slows certainly help with survivability if you are having trouble, but ideally your tank should be able to survive without them. Druids also get Attack debuffs, which aren't quite slows, but they definitely help. Druids also get "remote" spells eventually, and those heal the tank while nuking the mobs. Nothing beats DPS and heals at the same time :)

The toughest thing about stepping up to a real tank (as opposed to a merc or pet or ???) is that a real tank is the most gear-dependent class in the game. You will definitely notice when you step into a new tier of content if you haven't upgraded your tank's gear. Once you hit level 70 (75?), you can use TBM currency from the /baz to buy all the gear you need.

The other thing to remember about tanks is that they start getting lots of defensive abilities and they need to use them. For a long time, I just sort of auto-attacked and tried to keep aggro, treating my tank like the meat-shield I always envisioned. That worked for a while, but eventually (around level 70, for me) that wasn't sufficient. But once I learned how to use the abilities properly, content was much easier.
  5. Fittirc New Member

Things are working out great. Thanks so much for your advice. Already sucked back into the game!
  6. RenDnB New Member

Sounds all too familiar lol... Been sucked in for 2 weeks now, took me a day to start 3 boxing again. (SK/Shaman/Bard). Wife also got sucked back in for a week, and she 2 boxes with me.

Was going to give my 2 cents, but NameAlreadyInUs said it all!
    IblisTheMage likes this.