Looking for advice on becoming a tank from zero to hero

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by kingpoop, Oct 31, 2021.

1. kingpoop New Member

Hi Everybody,

Are there any step by step guides out there that one can follow to become a good tank?

I am looking to start out fresh and level up a tank.

Thanks,
  2. Ozon Augur

First off which class, may seem like a small thing but each class has tricks, to help them excel. Absolutely somethings are universal, but knowing the basics, but not specifics will not make you the uber tank you seem to want to be.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Is this on TLP or live? Do you have a class preference / current tank? Do you have other characters that you want to box with? Do you want to raid, solo, group?
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Web search "how to play a good everquest tank".

And always remember the alternate name for a tank is "meatshield"!
  5. Randomized Augur

Yup, you just:

Seriously though, don't start a heroic one, do it the old fashioned way. Pay attention to what new abilities you get along the way (yes eventually they just repeat with a new name) and new AAs. Test them out as you get them. Learn what they do, the best time to use them, and how they function.

Then read up on guides about what overrides what, what stacks with what, and go from there.
  6. Szilent Augur

There is very little to be learned at low level about playing a particular class at high level. Leveling up some character "naturally" once to learn general EQ play is one thing, but the proliferation of wholly new abilities from levels 70-100 (beyond, for a couple classes) make excellent low level play a distraction, mostly.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Heroics come with the added benefit of giving you a set of default hotkeys for the class. They may not be ideal, or even good, but they slap some of the basic spells and abilities onto your hotbars to give you an idea of what you have available to you.

This is actually better than starting at 0 and needing to use 3rd party sites to figure out what abilities you should have.
  8. Szilent Augur

if one needs assistance even finding the Combat Abilities & Alternate Advancement windows, assistance making hotbuttons, then one is on the "go level up naturally to learn autoattacking" tier of play.
    Randomized likes this.
  9. Randomized Augur

Hate to agree with this, but I do. And the order in which the "preset hot bars" come is atrocious at best. It's best to take 30 minutes and go through your AAs and spells/abilities manually and set them up in a way that's beneficial to you and your playstyle.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I was thinking more along the lines of the various spells/combat abilities that one might have to go look for as they leveled. Heroic toons just get the premade keys for them and a spellset already loaded. Not to mention how some abilities stop being used at various points in progression, so what you learned while leveling is no longer applicable.

I agree that if you need to learn the basics of playing, starting fresh can be beneficial, at least for a bit. But if you have that down, there's no benefit to it, while there are benefits to creating a Heroic. Heroic is a closer approximation of max level gameplay, so what you learn then is going to be more beneficial in the long run.
  11. Szilent Augur

The autofilled hot bars are not the benefit. Calling them out is like saying the cupholders are why a car is a good car, but the cupholders are bad.

Like, the very first thing someone loading up a Heroic should do is right click > Clear current hotbuttons.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  12. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I feel like the intent of my message was missed or I did not explain it properly, so I give up.

Make a Heroic if you don't need tutorial level learning.
  13. Randomized Augur

I understand what you're saying, but by the time you hit 85 (or heroic), you'll see that most of your abilities are available and just repeat with very little getting added. Even with most of the auto-grant AAs you'll see "improved / improved / improved" with very few "gained a new ability" or whatever the message is.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I understood what you meant. A heroic character at least has the useful abilities showcased versus hidden in the garage.
  15. Tucoh Augur

I can not believe that the Poop King ghosted us.
  16. Laronk Augur

If you already have good ingame friends this doesn’t apply as much.

Play a knight, a paladin / sk plus anyone is a group, your solo/ molo will be better as well. Warriors are great but the “spell book superiority “ err I mean utility of knights in small odd groups is amazing.

As for tips on actual tanking, the awareness side has gotten better but it’s important to pay attention to what’s going on use your extended target window, maybe play in third person. Don’t be afraid to use your defensive or burns on trash if needed. Too many players hold their abilities when they don’t need to.

If your healer is oom they’ve got something for your next pull don’t sweat it.