Long term investment

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Ionscout, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Ionscout Journeyman

In short once I set my mind on a class im in for the long haul. As we know it IS a long haul and alot of time invested. So im giving due diligence and looking into these 3: Monk, Rogue, and Bard. The not so simple question: deep into the game (im on phinigel) what is the expectation of these 3 classes? What will be expected of them?

I enjoy a variety of roles but knowing where these 3 end up will help me greatly.

Thank you!
  2. Tucoh Augur

Might have better luck asking the TLP forums. I feel like long term, the Phinigel servers will get replaced as the top TLP server when a new one comes out. I don't know when that'll be, but if I were looking for a long term solution I'd look into how long before a fresh TLP server is released.
  3. mackal Augur

Monks pull and DPS. Rogues DPS. Bards pull and ADPS.

Bards will shortly become the best pullers on phinny (fading memories) and their ADPS is always welcomed. Monk DPS kind of stagnates. Rogues DPS is good, but I think on live end game Berserkers have been better for a few expansions?
  4. Ionscout Journeyman

That is a concern, id hate to be on a server that could dwindle before reaching the final expansions
  5. Ionscout Journeyman

Good to know, thanks. Melee dps seems limited in options. Might hop over to hybrid forum and ask about BST and RNG.
  6. Ionscout Journeyman

Actually thats kind of disappointing. Id hate to invest that kind of time for the server to die. Wonder how often they start new servers. As I recall ragefire dropped in population when Phinigel was opened. Are live servers low pop as well?
  7. Tucoh Augur

I don't think you should expect that any of the TLP servers will exist in a permanent way. Most of the people who play on them play on them so they can experience that content and the opening of a new one is the death knell of the previous ones.

The live servers are high enough pop. I hear Bristlebane is the highest and Xegony 2nd, but I don't know if that's true or not. BB has 5 groups (RoV, RoV's casual group, Fu, RA and maybe CoL?) raiding in EoK and has around 40 people in FM and 20 in the other EoK zones during NA primetime.
  8. Ionscout Journeyman

Thats a shame. My wife and I played the game when it first came out. Then stopped playing when PoP was released (Military obligations). We returned recently to discover all the content we missed. So we figured join a TLP and walk through and learn at an increased tempo (and some nostalgia). But we would hate to waste our time if our efforts end up on an empty server.
  9. Brohg Augur

Well, at that point, or if you get frustrated with TLP content cap, then you remake your characters on a "blue" server. You'd find catching up level wise to be quite fast the second time around with the additional tools available (mercenaries, high level buffs, etc)
  10. Kanuvan Elder

EQ has always been a game about the journey not the end, the "investment" of eq is not in sticking to a server playing the poor disliked expansions but to starting your journey over with every other player on the server simultaneously and enjoying the journey once again every 1-2 years
  11. Trey Elder

I play on Lockjaw still and it's doing fine despite not being the newest server, so I think it just depends on where you can make friends tbh.
  12. p2aa Augur

Not for everyone. I started back playing EQ 10 years ago with the release of the first set of EQ TLP, the Combine server. I have sticked to the same class since then. When the Combine server reached the live server expansions current state and the server was getting dead population wise, I moved to some "regular" live servers. I have never been interested in going back doing some TLP again. What mattered for me was the end, and I spent a lot of "investment" on my character to reach it.