Logout time

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bigstomp, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bigstomp Augur

I really enjoy how I can click "offline trader" and boom, I'm out. Instant more or less.
    Can we make /q do the same, or some other form of logout do the same?
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

When i didnt have traders online i would do /ex but now with offline traders makes it nice and easy just wish i could sell more than 100 per trader though.

Andarriel
  3. jarsh92 Elder

Im sure we are always going to have to /camp out to exit correctly. Not only does it help the game stay synced up with our character (vs. /exit and going LD) it also prevents people from using it as a way to clear aggro. ie, running across a dangerous part of zone with a trian a mobs, then exiting to clear aggro and just logging back in, or using it for other uninteded uses.

At least thats why I think they have the 30sec count down.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is a difference between what Offline Trader is doing; what /q & /ex is doing; and what /camp, /camp server, and /camp desktop do.
    • /camp prepares the server and gives it time to properly update your info to be saved and it is not possible for you to die.
      • "/camp" will send you to the character select screen after the above.
      • "/camp server" will send you to the server select screen after the save.
      • "/camp desktop" will send straight to your desktop after the save.
      • Instantly, logging back in after doing "/camp desktop" flows just like if you were logging on for the first time that day.
    • /q(uit) and /ex(it) simply disconnects you (as if you went Link Dead) from server; meaning that you can still be killed or potentially information that is stored on the client with sparse updates might not be synched (not nearly as common as it used to be).
      • "/q" sends you to the server select screen.
      • "/ex" sends you straight to desktop.
      • If you try to log back in instantly both will give you the "character still online" message.
    • Offline Trader tells the server what's going on and to put the trader into offline mode when the client disconnects; then the client doing whatever is needed sends you to a screen telling you entered offline mode and then to desktop.
      • You are in a zone (at least as things are now) in which it is impossible for you to die.
      • I am guessing that all other possible character changes that can occur in the zone are saved upon entering normal Trader mode and with every transaction that occurs with your trader/buyer; so no special client side information transfer is needed.
      • There is also likely very little that is needed to be done serverside other than initiate the Offline Mode script.
    So I do not think that you could really get anything that is as safe as /camp but instant to desktop like /ex or Offline Trader; because the character data is not going to necessarily be all saved and up-to-date in the time that /ex and Offline Trader take.
    I would simply suggest that you start using "/ex" like Andarriel used to or "/camp desktop" if you want to be safer and can stand the 30 second wait.
    I am fairly sure that the 30 seconds is more to give ample time for the server's normal synching to occur and prepare the server to exit your character at that time. Dropping aggro has not been a realistic use of /q or /ex for quite I while I would wager; at least since NPCs started hitting for 5-10k a hit, but more likely when DSL and Cable High speeds became common.