Logging errors re: riposte & double bow shot?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xanathol, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Xanathol Augur

No idea if these are known issues or not but I noticed entires in my logs such as the following that seem errant.

Examples:

1. 'Riposte Rampage'

[Thu Oct 03 21:49:09 2019] An ancient shard wyvern is pierced by Toon's thorns for 32 points of non-melee damage.
    [Thu Oct 03 21:49:09 2019] An ancient shard wyvern hits Toon for 131 points of damage. (Rampage)
    [Thu Oct 03 21:49:09 2019] An ancient shard wyvern is pierced by Toon's thorns for 32 points of non-melee damage.
    [Thu Oct 03 21:49:09 2019] An ancient shard wyvern hits Toon for 335 points of damage. (Riposte Rampage)
    [Thu Oct 03 21:49:09 2019] An ancient shard wyvern bashes Toon for 96 points of damage. (Rampage)

The above flagging as a Riposte appears incorrect, as there is no accompanying message of "...but Toon ripostes!".

2. 'Double Bow Shot'

[Thu Sep 05 23:20:14 2019] Toon slashes Ail the Elder for 66 points of damage.
    [Thu Sep 05 23:20:14 2019] Ranger shoots Ail the Elder for 255 points of damage. (Double Bow Shot)
    [Thu Sep 05 23:20:14 2019] Monk is pierced by Ail the Elder's thorns for 2 points of non-melee damage.

The above also seems in error as there is only 1 attack attempt in my logs wherever I find this message spanning a number of weeks. Maybe there is also a miss but the log range for it is not as big?

3. 'Riposte Flurry'

[Thu Oct 03 22:13:07 2019] Quellod Earthspirit tries to bite Toon, but misses! (Flurry)
    [Thu Oct 03 22:13:07 2019] Quellod Earthspirit tries to bite Toon, but misses! (Flurry)
    [Thu Oct 03 22:13:07 2019] Quellod Earthspirit is pierced by Toon's thorns for 4 points of non-melee damage.
    [Thu Oct 03 22:13:07 2019] Quellod Earthspirit bashes Toon for 201 points of damage. (Riposte Flurry)
    [Thu Oct 03 22:13:07 2019] Bard begins singing Elemental Rhythms.

Much like the first example, the Riposte flag seems to be in error.
  2. Nniki Augur

The name is misleading. A "double bow shot" is really just a single shot that did double damage. It also might be a bit confusing since it used to report the damage twice under different filters when it was referred to as double damage.

Here's how it would have looked before for that ranger:

Your bow shot did double dmg.
    Ail the Elder was hit by non-melee for 255 points of damage.
    You hit Ail the Elder for 255 points of damage.

Only the ranger would see the non-melee damage line. The three lines were combined into one:

You shoot Ail the Elder for 255 points of damage. (Double Bow Shot)

Game Update Notes: August 15, 2018
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

^all of this.

Double bow shots were added in Kunark for when shooting a mob that was not rooted. This was to (as I recall) make Bows be a more on par with melee weapons for dealing damage - so Rangers could be better than other classes with them. The ability to crit wasn't much to write about at the time. Nothing about a bow works in the same way as a melee weapon. I imagine they would have had to re-write a whole lot of code to make Bows behave more like weapons. I'm sure this has been a much simpler way of going about things over the years.
  4. roth Augur

Actually .. bows behave exactly like melee weapons do, they just have different values plugged in as variables for the formulae.

Rated Bow damage, + the Arrow damage, and with LDoN, any Aug’d damage, all get totaled up to become Weapon Damage. For melee weapons, its just the weapon’s damage and whatever aug(s) are on it. There’s one mechanical similarity between the two.

There’s also a maximum damage that can be attained by one point of Weapon Damage. With the addition of certain AA’s, its become a lot more difficult to parse, but ... prior to those Scout’s Mastery of _____ AA’s, I parsed the damage/Weapon Damage on archery to be pretty darn close to, if not exactly, HALF that of melee. Another mechanical similarity between the two, though obviously different actual results.

The double damage bonus, by the way, was intended to be the first Jolt ability. The thinking of the time was that if a ranger was generating too much hate with melee, he could step back and shoot, an attack that should be drawing less aggro. Fairly quickly they decided to give rangers a Jolt spell, and when rangers asked, they laughingly provided a fire-resist version (Cinder Jolt) because what no one knew at the time (except the devs) was that Jolt worked regardless of the resist message.

But back on topic ... Archery functions almost exactly like Melee. Its got different variables, to be sure. And its got the whole “at range” thing whereas melee is “up close and personal”. But the formulas for determining hit/miss, crit, damage, these are all either very similar to, or exactly the same, as their melee counterparts. They are all affected by the same, or similar, things (plug in Str or Dex depending on melee or ranged, that’s the main difference). Its like the differences between Warrior/Berserker innate crit, Ranger innate archery crit, and Rogue innate throwing crit : The differences are minor in comparison to the similarities.