Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vorthax, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Vorthax Lorekeeper

Was just wondering if there is something I'm missing. Is there a way to save my info on the log in to the forums? As of now I have to enter it every time I log in. Was just curious.......
  2. Maelstrum_Stormrider New Member

I do it with LASTPASS - remembers ALL my passwords for EVERYTHING and I dont have to type anything in but ONCE ever. And its FREE! :)
    Here's the link ---> https://lastpass.com/
    Vorthax likes this.
  3. Bareldi New Member

Perhaps you are not allowing cookies for the site in your browser? At least on my system, when I click the "sign in" button it quietly logs me in without leaving the page I am looking at, without my typing anything extra.
  4. Chinghis New Member

I have had the same problem, Vorthax ... since 2004, when the boards were re-done at that time. Seriously, it's one of the things that I remembered about these boards when I came back after seven years. I thought it might go away with the re-do, but I guess not.

I accept cookies; the only thing I do is have Firefox tell sites I don't want to be tracked. I've never quite figured out why this board (and only this board, it seems) behaves like this.
  5. Vorthax Lorekeeper

Thanks for the program! I just downloaded it and it works great! Really makes life easier for websites where I might have forgotten my password. Thanks again Chinghis....;)
  6. sula Augur

you can tell the program to remember you on this computer. it is the simplest way and you never have to remember your login again. mine remembers all 4 of my logins, my nephew's, my sister's, and my brother-in-law's logins too
  7. Geroblue Augur

I don't use programs to remember my password due to the security risk.
    Moklianne likes this.
  8. Moklianne Augur

There are too many tools that can rip them out of firefox/IE if they are saved. And an issue arises when you forget passwords months later when for whatever reason you have to re-enter them.

I use keepass (http://keepass.info/) to store passwords securely, so I just have to remember one. I don't trust 3rd party apps for password storage/UI integration unless they are open source typically.
  9. Borek-VS Augur

And I use 1Password. It generates secure passwords for me (if I want it to) that I don't have to remember. I can use a genuinely secure password for the manager (long pass phrase that is easy for me to remember), and it works on all my devices. Sure, it's a single point of failure: but it's a secure single point of failure.

Not using a password manager is a security risk now.
    Vorthax likes this.
  10. Chinghis New Member

OK, I've resisted answering, but ... Password programs are nice and all, but that doesn't answer the question as to why only this site repeatedly asks you to log in. I have four other pages open right now that automatically log me in, but this page hasn't worked like this for at least 8 years, as I mentioned above. It's an odd behavior, and I gave up trying to figure it out a long time ago.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

To be fair the forums have only required constantly relogging since the security intrusion; no where near 8 years. If you have been having issues that long it was originally due to cookie settings on your browser.
  12. Chinghis New Member

I dunno, but I'm pretty sure I remember this behavior from back in the day. Heck, I don't think I've even been here much since I left the game 8 years ago. That's what was so funny - I logged in, made a comment, etc., then came back later in the day and found that I had to log in again. And then I remembered that that had always been the case.

I vaguely remember hearing about a security intrusion, now that you mention it.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Even if it was 8 years ago then the issue was in your browser then regarding the Sony site. You had been able to log in and stay logged in on the old forums up until Sony was hacked and they jacked up their security a ton. Also most of us are talking about having to resign in while reading threads and not leaving the site or closing the browser.
  14. Borek-VS Augur

Before the hack, I could stay logged in for several days at a time, but not indefinitely, and my browser would remember my id and password (possibly thanks to some browser extensions, of course). That is my local and personal security choice, on a desktop machine in a secure location that isn't shared, etc.

Post-hack, I have to log in several times a day, with seemingly random timeouts (the new forums seem to be a little more consistent on this); and I have to reenter id and password every time. In what way does this improve security for anyone? (Hint: it doesn't) This has the seeming of "security theatre", made up by incompetent consultants and approved by ignorant managers.

So yes, this site intentionally makes it hard for you to log in, and it is much worse now than it was a couple of years ago.