Log file size

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brohg, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Brohg Augur

Is there any handy utility to chunk up overgrown EverQuest log files in Windows? Hoping for something with a time split or zoning split or log on/off split.
  2. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

If you use GINA (even if not for the audio triggers), you can auto archive your logs. I do this weekly and it keeps my logs nicely organized and they never get too big for their britches. It doesn't split off of zoning or anything like that but you can schedule the archiving by daily, weekly, or a number of other options, or you can set a size threshold.

in gina, you find it by going under the blue triangle -> settings -> log maintenance.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Enkel Augur

Brohg, sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question. What I do when my logs reach half a gig, at least in old gamparse (haven't used new one for too long, so it might have this feature built in), is I move the file to a different folder and /zip it. That stops any lag that gets created cause the file is too big (I had one over 5 gigs at one point....). Sorry if this isn't what you're asking for :(
  4. Brohg Augur

Renaming them right in place starts a new one np, that is not a problem. Loading the old very large ones for parsing is problematic.
  5. Brohg Augur

Not quite the power/specificity I was hoping for, but that should help keep the size reasonable when I straight forget to cut it off myself.
  6. Sarcogian Augur

Trying to load my old 8gig file on my laptop potato from emarr is a pain when I just want a single event. Better chance of seeing doves cry in purple rain sitting in my little red corvette.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

You could always create a batch file that renames the current eqlog to include the date/time in the filename to keep them unique and then invoke that batch file automatically on a regular basis via Windows Task Sheduler.
  8. Vanrau Augur

If you are wanting to trim up log files, make a listing of spam that normally clutters up the file then use the search and replace function in what ever text program you are using to look at it. Replace of course with nothing. This will leave blank lines and there is a way to get rid of those as well using regex functions. I use editplus for various reasons and this is one of them. I'm sure a batch file script can be made to do the same thing automatically.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/gamparse/GamLogSplitter.exe

Use at your own risk. Gam wrote it and I've only tested it a few times but it seems to work ok. From what I remember it doesn't have any options to customize how it splits the files, I believe it cuts them into 1 day chunks so it may not be the best option.

I planned to integrate it into Gamparse at some point into the future but I haven't done it yet.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Hiladdar Augur

Either Gina or GamParse can handle that for you. Recommend only one of the software utilities handle that for you if you run both on the same computer.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I do have a log cleaner that condenses logs by removing some of the spam lines:
    • You haven't recovered yet...
    • You can't use that command right now...
    • You must first select a target for this spell!
    • You cannot see your target.
    • You can't cast spells while stunned!
    • Your target is too far away, get closer!
    and a few more.
    I've had it reduce a 500MB file by half in extreme cases where tons of spam had accumulated during raids (mostly the first two lines).
    It isn't completely finished yet but it is functional. If people are willing to test it I'll make it available but it is definitely a use-at-your-own-risk-work-in-progress deal.
  12. Iila Augur

How much does it speed up loading archived logs in gamparse?

Log compression is already over 90% for me, mostly due to the logs being so much repeated text. It's not going to reduce a 50mb zip to 25mb. Even if it did, that's not enough storage space to care about. But halving the loading time when I'm digging through old logs would be a useful improvement.
    Brohg likes this.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

When you load a zipped logfile GamParse first unzips it into the temporary files folder then reads the uncompressed version. So if you take out all the crap it will speed up the loading whether it is zipped or not.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

For those that want to try it, I've posted it here:

http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/gamparse/EQ_Log_Cleaner_Beta.exe

I'll reiterate my warning that this is a work in progress and that you use it at your own risk.

Usage is very simple:

1) Click Open Log and select a file to read a log file into the program. This can take a several minutes depending on how large the file is, but when it is finished it will give you a count of how many of each message is in that log file and prepare it to be cleaned. Once the log has finished loading a popup will appear to let you know it is ready for cleaning.

2) Click on Clean Log. Again this can take several minutes depending on how large the file is. It will let you know when it is done with a popup.

The cleaned log should appear as a NEW and separate file in the same directory as the original log but with "-cleaned" added to the end. You should verify it in GamParse that only the spam messages have been removed (check the fights, /randoms, loots, chat [unless you deleted those], faction, etc.) and only if everything looks correct would I suggest deleting the original log file. Even then you might want to keep the original as a backup just in case.

Settings:

You can change settings from the default through the settings menu option however they are currently not saved anywhere and will reset each time you start the program.

Under settings you can select which messages will be deleted out of the log files. A checked option means that message will be DELETED from the log file.

General spam messages are all checked by default, as are the Wizard messages. Chat messages are NOT checked by default but they do work if you check them. This allows you to create logs with no chat in them so no worries about spreading personal / private information.

There is 1 additional option under General which is to Compress After Cleaning that needs a little more explanation. By default the program outputs in the same manner as the input. That means if you load a compressed .gz file it will output a compressed .gz file when it is done cleaning and if you load an uncompressed .txt file it will output an uncompressed .txt file when it is done cleaning. By selecting the Compress After Cleaning option it will force the program to always output as a compressed .gz file even if the input file was uncompressed .txt file.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please let me know. It is still a work in progress and I know there are many other class specific messages that need to be programmed in. I only have Wizard ones setup right now.

I do plan to add some of these features into GamParse at some point for those wondering.
    Xikteny and adetia like this.
  15. Brohg Augur

"You can use the ability (ability) again in (time)" needs to be generalized from Banestrike please.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I specifically didn't do that. The goal / purpose is only to remove those things which are very very "spammy," not remove every possible line people don't like.

For instance, a 100MB log file of mine can have over 1 MILLION "You haven't recovered yet..." in it, but it is only going to have like 5 or less of say "you can use the ability arcane fury again in x" because I rarely ever hit it when it is down.

Basically: If there is less than 1,000 instances of something in a 100MB log file, it's not worth removing.
  17. Brohg Augur

Yes. The message comes up with considerably more than your required frequency for melee classes. Monks and berserkers in particular may see it 1000 times in a minute.
  18. Sarcogian Augur

this is correct. let me find some logs.

this is filter search logs 10,000.

[Sun Mar 13 19:39:22 2016] You can use the ability Drunken Monkey Style Rk. III again in 0 minute(s) 30 seconds.
    [Sun Mar 13 19:51:01 2016] You can use the ability Vigorous Shuriken Rk. III again in 0 minute(s) 5 seconds.
    so in 11.5 minutes i generated 10,000 lines of "spam" as a melee using the search "You can use the ability". not being highly computer literate, i can copy/paste all 10,000 lines but that seems like a lot of "spam".
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Clearly I either didn't explain it well enough or you simply didn't understand me so I'll try again.

I know very well that specific abilities will generate huge amounts of 'can use ability' messages. This is why there is an option to remove Banestrike as well as several Wizard-specific ones for our AA nukes and debuffs. Those are the ones I encountered going through my own logs.

I am willing to remove specific messages for specific abilities that are clear offenders.

What I am NOT going to do is obliterate every single instance of every single ability that generates that message which is what a general removal of that message would do.
  20. Brohg Augur

Is there worthwhile data to be extracted from those lines? Why leave them?

Like, I thought it would go without saying that I can't compel you to remove things you don't want to remove from your own log, but not even as an option for others?