/log delete command

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fenudir, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Fenudir Augur

With the use of third party programs like GINA and Gamparse and the advent always-on logs, log files are getting very large for a lot of people.

What are the odds that a "/log delete" or some similar command can be added to the game to delete and reset the log file with out people having to go to the Log folder? Some folks are uncomfortable going into that folder.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is one. You go to your logs folder, select the file, hit the delete button on your keyboard and then click yes if a popup asks you if you are sure.
    McDougal likes this.
  3. silku Augur

You could also put in a batch to delete it once a month or something, if you really wanted. Or even to back it up to a different directory once in a while. I know Gamparse automatically will make backups from time to time when the file gets large enough.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Tobin Augur

It would be nice if at exit from EQ the log file could have a setting that is be sent to a sub-directory and a new log opened in the main.logs directory. The saved file would have as part of its name a time and date stamp.
  5. Fenudir Augur

Very true. I'm thinking about the least common denominator here. Myself, I have a shortcut to the Logs folder and I just get rid of them before I log into game. I'm thinking about the non-computer-savvy who are already in game and just want a way to clear it relatively easily.

And I don't think that back ups alone are a good idea. Eventually, you still end up with a LOT of text chatter cluttering up your drive.

Maybe an ingame "/log truncate" command that deletes all of the log file older than the last xx amount of time or size?
    Tobin likes this.
  6. Bamboompow Augur

Doesn't gamparse have an option to delete or archive your log daily?
  7. Fenudir Augur

Back up but not delete.
  8. Bamboompow Augur

Doesn't Beimeith do the work on gamparse now? Maybe that would be a nice feature to add.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

EQ might be the LCD, but I doubt that anyone sees that as a good use of resources at this; especially now.
  10. Fenudir Augur

I can't imagine it would be too hard a command to create.
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

What you could do in lieu of a /log delete command is utilize an obscure in-game command: /system
    Here are the prereqs and its workings:

Using my logfile as an example I could create a hotbutton that turns my log off, deletes my logfile, and then turns log back on:

• /LOG OFF
    • /SYSTEM erase E:\Khatt\logs\eqlog_Khatt_luclin.txt
    • /LOG ON
    Alternatively, I could create a hotbutton that keeps turns my log off, keeps the current logfile by simply renaming it, and then turning log back on:
    • /LOG OFF
    • SYSTEM rename "e:\khatt\logs\eqlog_Khatt_luclin.txt" "eqlog_Khatt_luclin-%date:~10,4%%date:~7,2%%date:~4,2%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%.txt"
    • /LOG ON
    That example would rename my eqlog_Khatt_luclin.txt to similar to eqlog_Khatt_luclin-20150503-2219.txt. (Whatever the current datetime was when the rename was invoked.
    Yara_AB and Tobin like this.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Or you can delete it yourself and it requires no action from the coders.
  13. Fenudir Augur

sigh... I already stipulated that there are ways to get it done. My point is that there are a lot of players out there that are uncomfortable with playing with their systems. We've all met them. You know? The ones who think about an actual folder when you say "folder". They're the ones I'm thinking about helping.

All the posts here are great but they don't go to the heart of the issue.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm sorry, but deleting a specific and uniquely named txt file in the logs directory is not playing with their system. Going into the windows directory and randomly deleting files; that's playing with their system.

They do go to the heart of the issue. The player can easily and safely delete the log file with absolutely no impact on their game. If they don't want to do that, then they deal with the consequences. Honestly, if anyone is playing this game and is that uncomfortable going and deleting their log file every 2-6 months, then they should not be using GINA and just use the ingame audio triggers.
  15. Axxius Augur

You'll probably have more luck asking Beimeith to add the sub-option "[x] and delete it" to the log auto-backup option of GamParse.
  16. Riou EQResource

You'd be surprised :p
  17. SaderakhBertox Augur

I was in ventrillo with a person hunting for their log file. That was fun :rolleyes: They've changed the default install path a couple times, so there's some people with multiple Everquest directories, but only one active log file. If not computer savvy, or not the type to ask for assistance, and be trusting of another over chat or voice, I don't know how they'd ever find it sometimes.

Khat_Nip thanks for the education there. That's some pretty cool stuff I didn't know existed. :D
  18. McDougal Augur

Yep Pretty simple.
  19. guado Augur

Gamparse AND Gina offer auto backup tools that auto back up your log files after a certain size, and they can check on a certain time interval too.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.