/loadskin = crash to desktop

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Imukai, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Imukai Augur

I've been customizing my UI for years. I'm used to seeing the red text about my XML files being incompatible, I'm used to seeing them be SO incompatible that it loads the default instead. This is all par for the course.

This is a first for me though. Currently when I do /loadskin after I change one of my XMLs, I crash to desktop immediately. After I reload the game and wait out the removing character from world thing, everything is fine with the changes I made. /loadskin will crash me again though.

Any ideas?
  2. Leigo You come here often?

make sure your player window is updated with the percent changes they added with last patch, or use the default one while making changes.
    if you're not using the custom player window then not sure what's causing it. Check you ui error file in the eq directory and see if anything pops out there
  3. Imukai Augur

Nothing unusual in the UIErrors file. I've added the AA % thing to the inventory window already.

As I said it loads fine when I enter the game - it crashes if I try to reload the UI with /loadskin.
  4. Leigo You come here often?

I'm referring to the player window not the inventory window. Do you crash when camping? can you load default without crashing? can you load from default to your custom ui without crashing?
    The main issue in most custom ui this last patch was the update to the % changes in the player (your character's) window.
  5. Imukai Augur

Ok.. I mentioned updating the Inventory window because the UIErrors were crying that I was missing a % from there. I've isolated it to the PlayerWindow after a lot of trial & error.
    • There are no errors on initial load. UIErrors only lists the regular stuff about something not being in the custom folder and using default instead.
    • The PlayerWindow shows the new %s just fine (albeit cut off since I haven't expanded their label sizes).
    • Any /loadskin after this PlayerWindow is up will crash the client.
    • Normal camping, switching toons that all use the same UI, etc - no problems.
    • Only /loadskin crashes to desktop immediately - UIErrors is not updated at all.
    • This PlayerWindow started life as Sparxx which I further modded over the years.
    I'm at a loss what could be causing a CTD without anything in UIErrors. I haven't made any new mods to it in several months, but I have to other pieces which I would have used /loadskin extensively. I feel the % change is a red herring.

I see on EQUI that you patched Sparxx to fix a loadskin crash -- what was the required fix?
  6. Imukai Augur

Ok it's fixed.

I pulled a Sparxx beta package from late 2018 and ran a diff on the PlayerWindow to see what you fixed. I guess original Sparxx had some ScreenID misnamings that weren't an issue until this percentage change happened.

I corrected my window and verified it works correctly now without crashing.