loading when evaccing, why?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jumbur, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have been wondering for a long time now.:confused:
    why is there a loading pause when i evac to a zone im already in?

I always thought that evac was basically a combination of a port/gate to a spot in the current zone(most of the time, a few kunark-era evacs lead to specific zones, I can understand the need for loading in this case), and dropping aggro for all the affected chars.

As a wizard i can gate/port to a spot in the current zone without a loading pause.
    Some other classes can drop aggro without a loading pause.

Why exactly is the loading needed, when i evac?
  2. Hellboy007 Augur

in the old days that was the only way to drop agro. if you happen to port or gate to the same zone the mobs will still be agro.

but today i dont see why they cant just fade the people hit with the evac and punt to SS.
  3. Iila Augur

It's still to drop aggro. Fades don't deal with dots very well. If it was just a fade, half the group would get summoned back and killed individually the next time a dot or hate over time ticked. Pets, traps, and other weird things could also cause problems.

Requiring a zone isn't the most elegant solution, but it's the one that's guaranteed to work.
  4. Hostility Elder

5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Because Evacuate predates the Fade SPA by several years.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So the only reason it needs to load is because the "only-reliable-aggro-drop"-implementation is coupled with the loading-implementation, and the loading itself isn't needed?

Sounds like it can be improved, if they ever get around to it...
  7. Reval Augur

If someone trains you at the evac point and you evac, the delay may save you. It's not all bad.

Illa's point about dots is huge. Even without any other dot classes in the group, wizards get Pyromancy and druids get dots as well, so a simple fade would not be a guarantee of anything useful. What is your proposition? For the spell to send the group to the zone in, fully dispell any npc's they had aggro on, and then fade the whole group? If abscond were given the same treatment, wizards could just use abscond every time they got high on the list in groups, which would be a bit drastic of a change since it now has no repercussion if you are near the zone in. This could situationally turn wizards into a great pulling class as they have a stun as well as roots/snares.

In the end, I feel like the zone time for evacuating is kind of balanced.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

"balanced" should not be affected by harddrive-speed/or other system depending constraints IMO, if there really was a point to the whole "wait-penalty" for using an evac, it should be a fixed amount of seconds...

if people abusing abscond as a failsafe aggrodrop when camping the succor-point is a concern, then the recast-timer should be finetuned instead...
  9. Venaki Elder

¿Am I the only one who loves when everything is going awry and then you have a peaceful moment of loading? That silence and rest time makes me feel safe and calm, and brings me an evil smile when evac fails on a party member (that smile doesn't come up when it fails on me, btw).
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What triggered me into making the original post, was frustration over the crash-when-zoning bug. Most of the time when I evac, someone im my group crashes :(, but thats a different topic.
    But to answer your question: no, Im not a big fan of unneeded loading-pauses.
    I don't have any complaints about the design of the mechanic, a 20 second group stun would be ok by me, im only complaining about the implementation of the mechanic.

Besides when i started the original post i thought it would be a relatively easy fix, since there already was a working aggro-drop(without loading) ingame, and that the devs just sort of "forgot" about an ancient unelegant "hack". :p
  11. Reval Augur

It sounds like the real issue is stability, as people shouldn't crash when zoning =(. I think that should be fixed regardless of evacuate status. If they change evacuate, but don't fix this issue where people are crashing while zoning, then in my mind, they've attacked the wrong issue, but that's the last I'll post on this one, I've stated my overall opinion, and it's not all that strong of an opinion on evacs.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Agree completely, and i hope that fix have a high priority, it affects alot of people i play with, but im sure the devs are working on it.
    I heard its a memory-leak issue, and they are usually hard to fix :(
  13. disgruntled Augur

I never crash when zoning/evaccing but you know what STILL hasn't been fixed? Ever since beta for Omens of War (when I showed it to a dev,) if you use teleport bind to a zone and then evac at some point, when you try to zone, it bounces you back to the evac point and you cannot zone (by walking) until you have camped, port out or come back with a regular port.
  14. Orkpork Journeyman

The good ol days when a mob chased you down hell bent on tasting your blood. Then depending on how far the ZL was the army the mob gathered could be considered a raid event for the unfortunate others in the way... While spamming OOC train to X ZL.

Ahhh the good ol days.