Livestream summary please?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Vanrau Augur

Why do you think top players get special treatment? They need experienced raiders to beta test the raids and not give the developers headaches in the process. It cuts down on the amount of time developers have to spend fixing things.

Many people have already reported bugs and they are fixing them as we post about it on the beta forums. If people don't uncover the bugs in beta then you can't about it once the expansion launches. This is the reason why they need beta testers.
    Andarriel and feeltheburn like this.
  2. feeltheburn Augur

SO like did everyone expect them to geek out? nerd up throw balloons and streamers and giggle all throughout the stream?? the lack of enthusiasm comments make me LOL really. As previously stated in this thread, that was one of the better streams.
    And for those butt hurt bout beta testing.....there is a reason they invite the same people....they trust and rely on them for the help....no different then any other business model such as the inventory company that comes to my place to do my inventory count and invites the same individual contractors for them year after year.

Really folks go hit the bed and wake up in a better reality..
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Vanrau Augur

And people about Absor. He doesn't have a bright personality like the others. Prathun and Roshen know this and have learned how to deal with him as do the rest of us who have communicated with the man. There are many people in this world who aren't outgoing and extroverts. If you've ever worked with people in development you'll see this first hand.

They aren't going to tell their most experienced designer to act a certain way on camera as they have more respect for him than that. I've worked with many people like this and they aren't bad people, they just have a different sense of humor that comes across as being negative. Absor is a huge part of Everquest and has designed quite a bit of the game since Shadows of Luclin so deal with it or don't watch the streams.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Grove like this.
  4. Absor Developer

I wasn't hired to be on camera. I don't have the energy to be excited when, frankly, I'm tired. I've been working on this expansion all year and, while I think a lot of it is extremely cool, I've been looking at it for more than a year. I think you'll like it, but bouncing up and down and being a hype machine isn't my job, nor am I good at it.

/shrug

A
  5. feeltheburn Augur

well said Absor, just some people have nothing better to do then whine. What you said is kinda what I said in my reply back some.
  6. Lerilon Lorekeeper

He was able to say "I can't stop looking at this artwork" and "didn't Shannon do a great job". He certainly could have gotten out the words "I'm really excited about the new quests" or "I think the raids are really going to surprise people in a good way."

And none of the three were all that enthusiastic. How could they be announcing 5 new levels with cookie cutter spell and AA lines and six zones? From what they showed, the most exciting stuff in this expansion will take $126 to buy, if you're all access.

I realize they are tech guys and I partly blame the lack of exciting stuff to present (no new keyrings, spell dynamics, etc.), but between the lack of preparedness for the stream and none of the four presenters seeming excited at all about the content, it was bleh. 5 revamped zones, 1 new zone, 5 levels and the associated spells and AAs. woot. Yup, lower case.
  7. Vanrau Augur

I don't think people understand just how small the development team is for Everquest. They don't have the resources to pump out an expansion with all unique spells, AA's, new raid mechanics and etc... We'll continue to get cookie cutter expansions unless some miracle happens and they hire quite a few people onto the team.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Andarriel like this.
  8. segap Augur

It's not the job of the developers to be cheerleaders. That's not a skill you hire them for. I'd actually expect a Producer to be leading such a stream and be talking about what excites them, the inspiration, the direction, etc. The leader in charge of the product and its direction should be the one doing the promotion. The developers should be there for reference and helping show stuff, if even at all. They're likely stressed enough just trying to get stuff feature complete for beta and fixed for the release.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If that is the excuse, they should lower the price to reflect what they are capable of offering.
    eqzekisdead and Lerilon like this.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I agree and that was my experience last year.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

My former guild got invited to beta test raids many moons ago. We were a mid tier guild. Know what happened? Only half the raid force showed up. Half the people couldn't have been bothered to do beta content. It was a waste of time for the dev that night. I ended up apologizing to Absor for it, as all we could do was test the trash mobs and not the actual event.
    feeltheburn and Warpeace like this.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Fewer players means less people to divide the fixed costs between.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am not against beta testing at all. I think it is a great thing. What I am saying is this expansion was already beta tested by a select few. Now the "paid beta" is going on.
  14. Lerilon Lorekeeper

Then put in or bring in a person for the livestream who can make ice seem exciting to Eskimos. Every dragon was missing in the zones and the bosses. You can't have at least a mockup of the action of the raid battle against Talendor?

I totally understand they are down resources, that DBG doesn't prioritize revitalizing this game. I understand it's cookie cutter from here on out. Don't broadcast that fact with a bad livestream.

However, what does my $35 (minus all access discount for my paid accounts) PER account get me besides 5 levels and more of what I already can experience in EoK? Excuses about how small the development team is? Replies that it's still the cheapest entertainment out there (it's not)? I have to spend at least $90 per account that I want the portal stone on or if I want mounts or mercenaries.

The $35 purchase should have more to it than a tile for my house (IF I preorder) that I visit once a month to hang up more obsoleted, no drop weapons and pay my rent on. How about keyring slots? Move a mercenary to basic? A 40 slot bag per character? Heck, I think the personal port should be standard, even if only for preorder people.

There's nothing in the $35 package except cookie cutter content, and for me I've got better things to spend the extra $50 on than a bag, a mount, a teleport clickie (I box a druid), and ANOTHER mercenary that is just a cosmetic thing.

I guess my point is, if the content doesn't provide the material for an exciting introduction, then to get people to spend $35 and try the beta, you need more than a glowing house tile. Sure, there are people so deeply in love with this game that they flooded the transaction server to breaking buying the expansion. But they're not getting any of my four accounts until I can actually get the ONE benefit that would help my main: level 110. But not until December. Otherwise I get NO benefit except testing buggy content and maybe a horribly ugly hat I'll never wear (I hide my helm).
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No... the beta just started. You have no clue what you're talking about.
    feeltheburn and Sancus like this.
  16. Riou EQResource

They did, that is why expansions have been like 31$ for all access members recently instead of starting at the standard 40$, while inflation happens every year to make that money go less and less distance
  17. YellowBelly Augur

I enjoyed the stream. Most of us here are adults over 35. We are past the age of expecting livestreams of development teams joking around, cussing, and telling trendy jokes. This was simple and to the point.

If anything they should just show gameplay and talk over it. There is no need to show actual developers. I would be upset if my job stuck a camera in my face and asked me to explain things.
    Gyurika Godofwar and feeltheburn like this.
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

19. Ohfuggle Elder

It is literally DBGs job to sell the expansion to us, without the fan base the franchise dies.

We get it Absor wasn't meant for the spot light that's fine, but get someone on there who is. Get some sort of format and script together, heck have someone make a good trailer.

A good trailer would have been a MUCH better way to go about it, then have a post-trailer dev discussion that is low-key, maybe even answer some questions?

Hell DBG go ahead and email me, I'll come up with a marketing plan for you, I won't charge you too much for my part time work either!
    Brohg and Caell like this.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The way I see it I'm glad to see eq is stilling coming out with expansions. Gotta lotta people crying if you don't like the exp then don't buy it. I didn't buy last years expansion but will get this one. Although I wish that 40 slot container was 999 instead of 1 per account and also wish they would expand shared bank slots.

Andarriel