Live raid tank?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Pantharo, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Pantharo Journeyman

What is the best class for MT raid tank on a live server? My Co-worker was telling me her guild doesnt have a Warrior MT for raiding, and she thinks its an issue, back when i really played last you had to have a War MT, is that still the case? im just making sure there havent been any major changes and that there SK MT isnt just as good as a Warrior...

Reason i ask, if Warrior MT is really the best and required, im going to go there and play that with them.

thank you for the input!
  2. fransisco Augur

warrior was/is/always will be the best raid mt class in eq
  3. Narogg Augur

What content are you talking about raiding?
    In general, you need more then 1 warrior for main tanking. COTF on you need 4 to 6 warriors ready to step up.

Event mechanics force you to swap who is tanking and if you try to tank an event with just 1 warrior you will fail the mechanic and wipe
  4. Pantharo Journeyman

not to sure what raid she was talking about tbh, but she said they had issues, also said she was amazed, they had 0 warriors there, the MT was a SK, just coming back to EQ, wasnt sure if SK was equal to warrior now or something
  5. Transporter Lorekeeper

No knight will be the equivalent to a warrior.
  6. Xorsazis Augur

An excellently played Knight can fill in for warriors, but even a half- warrior will have an easier time performing the role. Warriors are stronger than they were in the past and are a lot of fun to play. They make a great addition to both group/raid settings.
  7. p2aa Augur

Warrior, followed by SK then Paladins. Paladins were better than SK due to better self heal tools that help the most against hard hitter mobs, but since SK received Reaver's Bargain it has changed. Aggro wise, SK can dump very high aggro too like warriors, and build it faster than paladins.

Since knights received defensive proficiency, they have been viable to MT Boss Mobs.
    Their two smaller Vie discs stack so well with Defensive proficiency, that the 35 % one is ending like a total of mitigation of 52% coupling def prof % and the vie % from my memories. And these vie disc last longer than before. Once these 2 discs are over, they can go on with their 36 % guardian one (not stacking with Def Prof this time)
    I'm convinced that a good knight using all his mitigation tools will do better than a warrior using defensive disc then stout defense only.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Very few events don't need multiple tanks nowadays. For actual tanking duty they're largely interchangable with each having some tools that make it easier making them preferred for some roles.
    Warrior is probably still the strongest vs a single big mob but event mechanics and your heal team play a bigger role in whoever's tanking the big baddie living than the class of the tank.
  9. Pantharo Journeyman

ahhh ok ok, so it looks like War then sk then pal, but really any of them are decent enough to tank end game now?
  10. p2aa Augur

Yes, all three are.
    If your guild has no warrior in raids, then most likely a warrior will be the best choice, especially if your role will be nearly only to MT Raid Bosses.
    But know that good knights will be able to step in too.
    And as Bigstomp said it, the heal team quality plays a big role today, raid bosses hit way harder than 10 years ago.
  11. Seldom Augur

Warriors by a long shot when talking not optimally geared. If you're looking to play a tank class for a guild that lacks Warriors and want to be able to MT dependably as swiftly as possible, definitely go the War route. Between tankability, aggro and DPS they're in an amazing place
  12. Fohpo Augur

Warriors are the defacto raid MT for bosses. Knights are usually used for adds and such, snap agro abilities really help there and some casual guilds will use them if they don't have warriors.
  13. Triconix Augur

I'm always on pick up duty. We normally keep the same select 3 warriors on MT duty and the rest of us are running around like madmen picking up adds and spawns.
  14. p2aa Augur

You keep the same warriors on MT duty for all raids ? In my guild, our tank leader alternates the TO between warriors so that it's not always the same that MT all the raids.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  15. Triconix Augur

For the most part, yes. We normally keep our jobs every time we do an event with some exceptions.

I can even list out my specific jobs on each raid in EoK. Once we get into a habit it just makes everything easier.

I'm better optimized to be a twitch/snap pick up player anyways so I don't mind not MTing. I like being busy constantly. If not, I tend to get bored and not pay attention lol. Fast paced stuff is my bread and butter. I guess it stems from my FPS playing.
  16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Once again I must say you rolled the wrong class, brosef.
  17. Sindaiann Augur

Not to mention the fact that ensuring everyone is capable and well versed in each role on all raids ensures that if, god forbid, someone isn't online for their designated role, things still move along efficiently.
    Coronay likes this.
  18. Triconix Augur

Yeah yeah, I know. I obviously should've been a wizard.

If a person cannot be flexible on the off chance that a person misses raids, they aren't suitable raiders.

At this stage of the game, people know what they are comfortable doing. I've been a warrior since 99. I know how to MT a boss mob. Not much has changed. My guild has a ton of knights so any time a warrior who is usually on add duty isn't around, they know how to do add duty - they were doing it for years as well.

If I'm needed in a MT group, it's not a big deal switching my role.

Being in a consistent role just makes things easier for officers to get events rolling. It's good time management
  19. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

As a former warrior main most of my EQ 'career' I would dispute the notion they were always the best for tanking in raid settings. But at present, they are about as close to the top of the pile as they have ever been, probably more so.