Live Group Warrior box - shm, enc, druid, or bard?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Khauruk, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Khauruk Augur

Out of game for some time now - a couple of years almost entirely gone, and only spotty play since level 90 was current (and that was mostly raiding).

I'm looking to dust off my warrior from the days of yore and Heroic him to 85, then box him with one toon in a casual family guild and just relax about things.

I'm pretty set on a largely utility toon and relying upon its tertiary dps along with a merc. I may use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] - if I intend to heal with a shm/druid, I probably will, since I suck at boxing a healer consistently.

So, what are the strengths and drawbacks of these 4 classes? I have all of them 95+ currently, 2.0 on all but bard, so no need to level them from scratch and I have a bit of experience with them all. I don't have experience with so much of the content of the last number of expansions, and haven't been a group-geared player largely since level Omens of War was current.
  2. Rhaage Augur

imho:
    Bard: good utility but boxing 2 melee is not fun.
    Druid: fair choice, getting druid hp buffs and cleric merc hp buffs to work together may be annoying.
    Shaman: good healer, reasonable dps / stat buffs, slow not as effective as it used to be, no crowd control.
    Ench: good slow, better cripple, good CC that adds dps (charm adds), not boxing 2 melee, no pc healer.

I think your best bet would be to buff with the shaman and then box the ench with a cleric merc and a wiz merc.

You will probably end up mostly playing the ench and the warrior will be the secondary toon though.
  3. Tucoh Augur

I 6 box a war/sha/bard/mage/berserker/cleric.

If I had to pick two I'd go with war/bard. Bard provides ADPS + Tracking + Selos.

If you're looking at integrating a good setup with I S Boxer, I'd also recommend looking into 3 boxing instead of 2. Going to three usually results in adding pure DPS + a DPS merc. This will probably more than double your group's DPS.

You can check out a breakdown of how I use I S boxer here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tucos-setup-critique-welcome.240258/
  4. Khauruk Augur

I know that bards are complaining a lot about their dps now. How would bard+apds on war and wiz merc compare to chanter plus adps on wiz merc? Huge difference, or not so huge.

I love bards - track, zoom zoom, and the ability to get so much out of them while paying literally zero attention to the toon if I don't want to, so it's always very tempting.

Hi Tucoh, I've been reading your posts since you started playing again. Thanks for the time taken.

I'm thinking I will stay with 2 and avoid that software. I found AutoHotKey which is a basic macro program, but I can use it to pass commands to specific windows or instance IDs unlike the macro software on my keyboard which can only go to program names.

So, I think I'll use that to partially control the box via a Nostromo kind of thing, or mouse w/ extra buttons, or something like that. Not sure yet. I don't want to be beholden to an extra $5/month on top of the $30 for subs (and definitely don't want to jump that to $45).

I'll at least start with this and see about other software later. I have 5 macro buttons on my keyboard, I can use those for the most basic heal/nuke/debuff macros on the box, and I need to buy a mouse anyways, so some number of things from that also.

I think I'm going to try to retrain myself to use WASD and mouse...I've always been arrow keys and the full hotbar on 1 through 10/-/=. It's going to mess with my head so hard for a while, though....
  5. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

war and either melee merc will benefit from bard overhaste... the enc charm pet can do more dps than a bard.
  6. Shaydoe_Nyte New Member

I box three, SK/SHM/Bard with healer/caster/dps merc and boxing 2 melee is not that hard. I mow through mobs (white/yellow). I recently just started boxing, so I have not tested my limits yet.

I park SK up front, SHM a little behind SK, pull with bard. I pull the mobs right to SK, then face inc mobs and turn on auto attack. Switch to SK to grab aggro (I have a burn hate macro for this), back to bard to mezz any adds.

I like the SK/Bard combo a lot and I would think it would be the same if not better with a warrior.

I do not use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], so I alt+tab all of this on one computer. It is just like with anything else you do, it takes time and a lot of trial and error