Line of Sight question (Bard)

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Trebla7th, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Trebla7th Augur

I've always just accepted that line of sight rules are different... but does anyone know exactly why they're different or how they work? Specifically the difference between when one ability will have LoS, and another will not.

For example... Requiem of Time (Song) vs Boastful Bellow (AA).

In some situations, I can try to sing RoT, and get the "you can't see your target" message. Without moving, I'm able to bellow the target successfully. The ukun cages in Qinimi are a very easy place to test this. From outside the cage, it's very easy to break line of sight to the point the song will not work, but the AA does (and the ukuns are static, so no, minor pathing changes).

Maybe it's as simple as AA vs Song line of sight, but what is the difference? Does AA count eye-to-eye while song looks at eye-to-foot?

Not looking to change anything, just to understand it.
  2. Cuuthbert Augur

I wish I had a good answer for you the actual mechanics. I just learned through using them which ones like slumber work around corners and your dot or insult which requires LOS.
  3. Trebla7th Augur

There are definitely songs that don't require Line of Sight, and those are fairly easy to understand. The lull/harmony lines being the most notable example.

The issue that confuses me is that Boastful Bellow DOES require Line of Sight, but it's different than Requiem of Time. Looks like these class forums are a ghost town, but I think it's interesting and appreciate your answer.
  4. Shakara Augur

All songs that require a target require LoS the only exception is lull. However songs only require line of sight to start the cast. Any song once the cast has begun can finish without being in LoS.
    Szilent likes this.
  5. Trebla7th Augur

But the question is "what is line of sight?" In the example above. I was not moving, targeting a static spawn, so it wasn't moving. Attempted to sing Requiem of Time, and could not cast because I didn't have line of sight. Without moving, I was able to cast Boastful Bellow AA (which requires line of sight) on the same target.

What is the difference between "line of sight for AA" and "line of sight for songs"? Or more accurately, "why is there a difference between these two things?" Perhaps this is more of a bug and should go in the bug forum, but I thought others might have some insight so brought it here for discussion
  6. Shakara Augur

There is no difference as far as I know. I will attempt to recreate your experiment because there are a lot of things I am thinking could have happened.