Levels and AA's (how much is good for each lvl) ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tradar, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Tradar New Member

Hey I was wondering if someone could post a good aa amount for the respective levels of 55+ (going up too level 95)

e.g.
    Lvl 55 : 36 aa
  2. Crystilla Augur

That's really going to be very dependent on
    a) what class you are
    b) your playing purpose (are you purely soloing, do you play with friends of equal level, are you trying to catch up to friends, race to max level to raid, and a few other things)
  3. Tradar New Member

a) Im talking about all classes keeping in mind I think its appropriate too say "all classes need aa" not just the tanks.
    b) My playing purpose is too level up for everything.
  4. Tradar New Member

I just want too reach max aa level for whatever level I'm on before going onto the next set of levels and was wondering if anybody had a brief amount of what I'd be looking at for each set of levels
  5. Slash New Member

What I do and other may disagree with the way I do it but it is a game and everyone plays differently. Anyway what I do is when I get 51 1 go 100% AA get all the AA's that I think I need/like for this lvl, then I bank 30AA's switch back to reg XP and lvl to next lvl..Buy all AA's I need/like then bank 30 rinse and repeat. I mostly molo/play with wife so we are in no hurry to get anywhere.
  6. Hatsee Augur

There is no general rule to this game like EQ2.

One expansion I might get say 550aa's as this pre-order thing says RoF is going to give me, and others I get 2500 almost.
  7. Crystilla Augur

The easiest way for you to determine that (how many AA you can get at all levels) is probably use www.eqaasearch.org. The only two classes not yet included are Necros and Zerkers (both of which are being worked on but may not be uploaded until after I come back from SoE Live).

The AA site allows you to search through several ways after you select a class. Couple of examples using bard as an example:
    1. If you want all the AA's up to and including level 51 (the 1st level you can earn AA's), there are 97 total AA's available. However, you most likely wouldn't want most of them, so a class list would tell you which of these are most useful (innate run speed, innate metabolism, eyes wide open, battle ready, etc.)
    2. You can search by expansion (say you want to AA's in succession).
    3. You can search by category/type of AA (pulling based AA's, melee DPS, melee DPS-procs, etc.)
    4. Whether you want just general, archetype or class AA's.
    5. Whether you want just passive or activated AA's
      • And any combination of the above.
    If you're more looking for specific classes and which AA's are most important to get, that info is probably more readily available at the various class forums. For example clerics have two suggested "1st 1000 AA" lists depending on the player's goals. THIS thread is one such example. But it will also depend on how you play that class. For example, clerics can pull and there are AA's to help with this, but it's not a key focus of the class, so depending on how you're playing, you may or may not need to look at those AA's as ones you want to get per level.
  8. Darchon_Xegony Augur

55 - 60
    60 - 150
    65 - 300
    70 - 700
    75 - 1000

These are general ballparks I get for my characters.

55 - Combat Agility / Stability, Natural Durability... then depending on class Combat Fury or Spell Casting Mastery / Fury / Reinforcement, Healing Adept / Gift, Mental Clarity

Beyond that it deviates largely depending on class. Getting core class AAs and continuing to update important AA lines. Personally when I'm PLing a bot there are a few lines I keep perma maxed:

Combat Ability / Stability
    Natural Durability
    Mystical Attuning
    Planar Power
    Discordant Defiance

It is a pain to have non-maxed resists or 18 buff slots when you get to a higher level so I just grab em as I go.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  9. Moklianne Augur

The more of them you max at lower levels (and as you level up), the easier tanking, dps, or healing will be at the higher levels. If you are a healer or tank (can't comment on dps since I haven't played one) at level 95 with 1000 AA's, you're pretty useless. A skilled healer at lvl 95 can get away with 2500 or so well placed AA's. A tank, not so much. So, its all in planning for the long haul and the class that's chosen.

As an example, I have an SK with over 1800 AA's at lvl 81. I will probably stick at this lvl until 2000 and then level up, stopping at 85 and catching up again since I can use VoA T1 gear at that point.
  10. Elricvonclief Augur

I'd say to get most of the needed AA per level. While slower, I strongly recommend having a "tough" character for the level, regardless of class.

I recently created my first alt, it's a 75 zerker with almost 1.5k AA. Planning on staying 75 for a few hundred more AA actually. It's surprising just how tough the character is at that level if you're well AA'd.
  11. Tegila Augur

keeping in mind that i can powerlevel my characters quickly when i make them, i stick very close to the rule of :
    lvl 55: max aa +30,
    lvl 60 max aa +30
    lvl 65 max aa +30
    lvl 70 max all aas i know i want even if not for 20 more levels, if available now, +30
    repeat lvl 70 rule at 75 80 and 85, at 90 make it +50. if you have all the useful aas for 90, at 95, and any brand new aas since then (like druid fade at 95 even if nothing else bought) you're not going ot be weak or behind.

The number of useful aas at each level goes up every 5 levels through 95, but the percent of them you're going to NEED 5 levels later, to be capable while not perfect, goes down.

basicly, every aa you get early on is worth far mroe than each aa you spend later on. 100aas at 55 is worth 1k aas at 85

i dont see a opint in maxing every level, but every 5 for sure. Some classes can get away with putting some things off, like if you're a druid and your sole job is to heal, though antoher druid may consider dps aas important because they dont usually heal, or they also solo a lot, you dont. However, an SK uses all their aa's together to accomplish their goals. If you want to tank, your dps will affect that, if you want to solo, many of your tanking aas will also affect that, and so on.

It really does depend on yoru class, yoru playstyle, and your method/speed at gettingxp. if you want to be 90+ and USEFUL as quickly as possible, by 65 you should be maxing all currently and future useful aas every 5 levels, and make a friend to help you with this. Even better, if you already have friends and theyll let you come along with them soon as you're able, going along with them killing same mobs at 65 will net far better gains than at 85 or 95, so make use of that and don't rush levels. Some classes NEED higher levels simply because of theconstraints soe puts on them to play in certain content. If a melee is returning to the game at 85 or 90, they can jump right in with 95s and play along, and their job isnt compromised. Their job doesnt get cut off because of level. A bard or Chanter....needs to be very close to a mob's level, or higher, to be able to use some of their key abilities like mez and charm as these spells/songs are severely capped by mob level relevant to the level of the spell/song. A returning bard will be much more useful in a melee or tank group than a cast group, before attain max level, as they can still do large portions of their job, just not AS well as a max level would. In a caster group, they would add nearly nothing, if anything, due to these same level restrictions.

So anyway, as was said, there is no blanket rule for when is it ok to level vs aa for all classes, they are all so very different in need and function, and the means at which you acquire xp, as well as your end purpose, affect the strat as well. a bard at 90 can be useful with 1k aas, much moreso than ANY tank class at 90 with 1k aa, same with augs and gear. There are very few blanket statements in eq about xp orclasses that really hold water.
  12. Yther Augur

And the point of every level, is in certain blocks, it's easier to keep them straight where there's a bunch piled on every level or every other level. But 5 works good most of the time, especially lower levels of 51, then 55, 59, 60, and 61, then 65, then 70. After the 70s, every level seems to work pretty good, but it would depend on whether you plan on switching back and forth between gold and silver/bronze or not.

Darchon's list is pretty close to what I go by, depending on class. Some classes need alot of the utility stuff, like bandolier for tanks (at least my tanks that have all sorts of procs to do stuff, like slow, snare, etc.)

If you're just starting out, here's the core I get along with the various utility / tradeskills ones I need for that toon:

At 51:
    • Innate Run Speed 3 (Questionable depending on class, and if you have a clicky or buff already or not or use potions)
    • Innate Regeneration 3 (Some people don't rate regen very high, but I still do for effect per AA cost, especially at lower levels)
    • Mystical Attuning 1
    At 55:
    At 59:
    Hope this helps some,

Yther Ore.
    So Sorry, Kiranan and CrazyLarth like this.
  13. Perydia New Member

Well Tradar, I can tell you that max AA for level 85 for a warrior is somewhere around 4,000. I'm 85 with 4548 (4518 spent, 30 banked) but I have every glyph except the 'indeterminate reward' one.

What crystilla says is absolutely on point and a reason you should take some of the advice in this thread with a lick (not a grain) of salt. For people with multiple high level characters, spending months to years below max level (like I've done) farming thousands of AA is not a big deal. Likewise for people who can PL characters at will. But if this is your first character (or intended to be your first high level character), there's always going to be that overriding temptation to level to the point where you see people in the level appropriate zones you're frequenting.

I will agree that ALL characters should have in the neighborhood of 2000 AA by 95, since that gives you maximum flexibility. But I completely disagree with Moklianne in that tanks aren't 'useless' at 95 with 1000 AA. 1k AA is just short of having all of the critical AA done (defensives with some offensives and utility), which I think number only about 1473. After that, you're feeding AA to extreme amounts of diminishing returns. Useful, sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say 'You're useless if you haven't spent 110 AA for 2.8% mitigation' (or whatever ridiculous amount it is). You can make a very effective SK for swarming purposes with 1k AA and if an effective swarming SK qualifies as 'useless' (universally) then I don't know what to say.

What I tend to do is plot out a character's AA path, taking into account diminishing returns (I buy heavily diminished returns after I've completed the standard/good return abilities for that level). You should also prioritize abilities by YOUR playstyle and desires, not 'conventional wisdom'. For example, if you want swarm pets for your mage or any of the elemental forms and you haven't maxed out spell casting fury yet, get the swarm pets/elemental forms. My Paladins got their mounts (every time one became available) before finishing their defensives for that level, because I wanted to.

I don't think there's a round number for AA at every level that would apply for all classes since it would probably require buying some less useful AA just to reach that number for some classes. Make a plan and that'll give you the best idea of how many you need at each stage.
  14. So Sorry Journeyman

Awesome list Yther, thank you.
    Yther likes this.
  15. Questoften32 Augur

/r 125 aa from 51 to 55, 125 from 55-61, (stop and earn the first 250 at 61) another 125 by or at 65, and another 125 by 70 and so on....so 500 by 70 and 1000 at 80....at 85 skys the limit if you can get more.
  16. Diptera Augur

I'm not in a hurry to level, so I usually stick AA xp to 50%, and play from there :)
  17. Haegar Augur

I also belong to the "get them all" people, because each time you lvl you lose about 2% EXP per kill on the same mob.

However there are certain lvls, that make it really easier to kill stuff, like when you get important new spells.

So after all it always depends on your class, your lvl and on what you do. Rule of thumb:
    If you find a new spot, and it feels comfortable, dont lvl until you got ALL AAs. It will never get easier again...
  18. savrin Augur

AAs are class dependent and it really does matter what class you are. So asking for general answers for all classes is just silly. Some classes need very few AA and others like tanks need lots of them.

Because of that I have no idea how to answer a question like that other than get the AAs for your class role. Tank, pure melee dps, healer, hybrid dps(they use spells and melee for dps), pure caster dps etc.