Leveling post 50 is horrible.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ultrazen, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Outlander Engine Elder

Damascite Earthwall Breastplate Armor ID: 110586
    MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE INFUSIBLE
    Slot: Chest
    Purity: 50
    AC: 210 HP: 1110 + 4/tick MANA: 0 END: 1050 ATK: 25
    STA: 21 + 6 STR: 17 + 5 WIS: 17 INT: 15 + 3 DEX: 30 + 4 AGI: 32 + 9 CHA: 37 + 4
    SV FIRE: 32 SV COLD: 20 SV MAGIC: 34 SV POISON: 30 SV DISEASE: 52
    Add Bash DMG: 9
    Focus Effect: WAR Fortitude Discipline Duration 1
    1: Increase Duration by 6s
    Click Effect: Furious Provocation (Must be WAR) Casting Time: 0.25s Recast Delay: 10m Recast Type: 16
    3: Add Melee Proc: Provacative Strike with 400% Rate Mod
    Slot 1, type 7: empty
    Slot 2, type 13: empty
    Slot 3, type 15: empty
    Required level of 85.
    Class: WAR
    Tools: Compare
    Quest: Group Tier 4 Armor (Damascite) in UF Armor Sets
    Vendor: Merchant Akele in West Karana (260 Marks of Valor)

Built up set of TBM armor. Have to admit I'm having trouble sorting through the augs, so correct me if I'm wrong. I grabbed what I think is the easiest to unlock. Numbers in (###) are the total stats.
    Indicolite Breastplate Armor ID: 146484
    MAGIC NO TRADE INFUSIBLE
    Slot: Chest
    Purity: 50
    AC: (181) 110 HP: (1692) 307 + 3/tick MANA: 0 END: (1211) 286 ATK: 15
    STA: 27 + 1 STR: 22 + 1 WIS: 12 + 1 INT: 12 + 1 DEX: 27 + 1 AGI: 27 + 2 CHA: 17
    SV FIRE: 18 SV COLD: 18 SV MAGIC: 18 SV POISON: 18 SV DISEASE: 18
    Add Bash DMG: 9
    Focus Effect: WAR Fortitude Discipline Duration 1
    1: Increase Duration by 6s
    Click Effect: Martial Rage (Must be WAR) Casting Time: 0.25s Recast Delay: 10m Recast Type: 16
    4: Cast: Martial Rage Strike on Skill Use (32000)
    Slot 1, type 5: Extravagant sulstone of resilience (+13 heroic agil, +4 heroic to everything else)
    Slot 2, type 7: empty
    Slot 3, type 9: Extravagant Spitegem of the Valiant (71 AC, 1385 HP, 925 END
    Slot 4, type 13: empty
    Required level of 75.
    Class: WAR
    Tools: Compare
    Quest: Group Tier 2 in TBM Armor Sets
    Vendor: Kamiowe Ordup in Plane of Health (20 Remnant of Tranquility) - Correct info, Alla, Magelo

(edit, replaced with indicolite 'cause reading are hard)
    So, CotF chestplate is 29 more AC, 582 less hp, and has a focus and a clicky effect.
    CotF chestplate has 9 heroic agility. TBM has 15.

I'd actually have to spreadsheet the entire armor set to determine which piece is better and where. Bracers, for instance, I've been told TBM is way better. But I still say for the ease of acquisition, for new folks just leveling up, it's not bad gear.
  2. Quill Augur

No... the only thing that is required is for Into the Temple (B) to be cracked. Which I did with some raid gear as i'm on FV atm, and elegant defiant. Had I known about the T1 group gear vendor in tranq, where you can just buy all that stuff for like <50 Remnants, i'd have done that. Even then, you don't get the augs, which make it special until you crack Into the Temple (B).

Which I did in two-box with J1 mercs. It took 4 hours, primarily because I forgot the second piece was behind the platform, or it would have been quicker and I wouldn't have cleared 80% of the zone. I also had to use every trick in the book and be very careful and choosy on pulling. Root/Zone. Pray your burn through on one kills it to break the mobs. You can slop your way through that mission.. but you have to be tenacious about it. The reward is too great not to.

The other HA's just aren't that hard. Kill some here, kill some there, collect stupid drops from both areas, oh hey... here is the reward. If you get a zoink, determine if you can get through it, and if not restart. Only one has a boss in the end that can be a pita to get through, and he doesn't pop every time. They aren't Gribbles, they will challenge you. But you get a non-visible in the chest every time along with level 100-105 spell turnin items, so its good to stick it out.

Also, I can't understate how important Murdunk's Last Stand and the T5 mercs are. Just damn. That one you can bring a high-level friend to make it easy, but two-boxing that at 82 and 81 was close.
  3. Quill Augur

T2 visible gear doesn't open until I believe you have the Lesser Spirit Armor achieve, so you won't be using it on the initial HA's. That requires 24 wins total from the 4 main HA's, 6 each. You get a click item you click that records it. It may also require the other progression, don't know yet and certainly don't remember from when I did it on Cazic.

The T1 gear you can buy is Preserving Protector's and is in the single digits of currency, so its cheap. It varies from the T2 largely in focus effects. I.e. the T1 version doesn't have the Fortitude extender and click.

The type 5 aug that is AGI is 'of swiftness'. I wouldn't buy Extravagant Versions of that due to cost. Buying it at each level just isn't worth it. Stalwart is a lot less cost and you get like 90% of the benefit while being able to buy two stalwart for one extravagant. Save your RoT for the top-end versions. Also, not sure what 'spitegem' is.. is that raid? Sulstone is the group stuff.

Either way... the focus effects are more important than anything to make sure you get. Imp Dodge/Parry V, the hate focus on the mask, and as good a fero and cleave as you can get. Some of those will be less on CoTF gear iirc. Particularly fero and cleave. And if low boxing, DPS is Very Important. I pull 3K DPS atm off Quill with the 2h'r, 5.5K-ish with the merc(I use the rogue merc). I just mutilate Gribbles missions now and finished all 3 in around 20 minutes each earlier.
  4. Ceffener Augur

I 3 boxed it pretty easy at 75 in defiant, just had to admit my SHD couldn't tank and bring a tank merc out.

Mainly because I saw this video on Youtube

I mean it told me it was the first thing I had to do!
  5. Outlander Engine Elder

Pretty easy at level 75, but your SHD couldn't tank it?

Explain this? Did you do it in raid gear or defiant gear?

You're an experienced player (raider), playing alts, and it took you 4 hours. You had to ghetto zone split and use every trick in your book. But you say this is the leveling path that we should recommend to folks just leveling up?

Personally, it sounds like a real good way to get folks to quit in frustration.

https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/quests/TBM/GroupGear/

And I quote;
    In order to purchase the Slot 5 and Slot 9 Augmentations from the NPCs in the Plane of Health you'll need to have completed the intro quests for the TBM expansion pack. You only need to complete a few travel quests and one Heroic Adventure which I am fairly certain scales down in level (assuming you're lower than 105). It would be incredibly tough for you though, assuming you're not well geared and 6 boxing to complete the HA before level 105.

The reason I am saying this now is because it puts a huge disclaimer on this gear. If you're not playing on the Firiona Vie server you might find it easier to do Dead Hills Gribble HAs for gear and use the Marks of Valor to purchase that group gear. Those of you lucky enough to be on FV will be able to purchase all the items talked about in this guide from The Bazaar and usually for rather cheap.

You haven't convinced me that he isn't spot on. I'm willing to give it a shot though. Maybe this weekend I'll take my 77 paladin/mage or my 83 monk/shaman over there and try it out.
  6. Littlelegs Elder

Take it to tells. Thx!
  7. Ceffener Augur

Yes, with straight defiant gear and no augs the Merc Tank did a much better job than my SHD. I think Almar highly overestimated how hard it is. I like him, but based on the quote he never did it, you do not need to be 6 boxing or highly geared. But it is a group mission so obviously 3 with 3 mercs will be easier than 2, and I don’t know if you could molo it. Being able to single pull helps (and avoiding the golems), you can even save the items you get and respawn the instance of you run out of easier pulls. For leveling Gribbels is much easier, but the difficultly is blown out of proportion.

Also never be afraid to ask people if they want to go. I’ve run the mission with lots of people to get them flagged and plenty of 110s have ran me threw just to give me their currency.
  8. Quill Augur

I ghetto split the hard stuff, yes. Hard being... 3 mobs chained together. Some stuff came single, that was fairly easy. Two i'd either VP one, or disc it and worst case scenario hopefully one dropped to get it split. 3 i'd ghetto split to get the first one down. Also keep in mind I had a dedicated healer to make up for J1 healer deficiency.

It took me 4 hours because I forgot that the second piece is a groundspawn that you pick up behind the main room pedestal. I cleared like 80% of the zone in that 4 hours, or I would have had it a lot sooner. The zone is actually pretty big with a lot of spawns in the main room, the two side wings, and the two back wings. I cleared most of that stuff out for no good reason :/. It would likely have taken half that time, as I had the first and third drops fairly quick.

That's The Game. Why play EQ1 if you want easy breezy? If you can't get yourself to the point where you say... I will do this if it takes me all f'ing night... you haven't gotten the full EQ experience. You do what you gotta do to get what you need done, or find another game.

Ceffener makes good points... particularly if you have the J5's open(which can be rolled with higher level help). I didn't at the time. I worked with what I had and was effectively killing stuff while tanking, so got it done. If I had to take some deaths along the way, I could care less.

At 86 now with 40K HP unbuffed, the main heroics over 100, and hAGI @ 280.
  9. Jontrann Augur

I did 1-80 in 2 weeks as a ranger just headshotting, you can use the instanced dungeon in pok at the later levels in each bracket (IE 56-60, 66-70, 76-80) with a tank merc to easily rack up some killer exp.
    At that point you can buy TBM gear and solo again just headshotting LB mobs.

Granted that's a ranger but its technically possible to molo from 1-max just on headshotting LB mobs.
  10. Quill Augur

Given I've been gearing up hard, I figured i'd return to Into the Temple (b) to test it out at the higher level (87 war, 86 shm).

Dusted it in 1 hour, 18 minutes. Had two deaths, the first one to stupidity. I normally have the merc on Efficient, had it on Balanced. Absolutely mowed the lawn in the first room as that's pretty much mostly single pulls. So much so that I pulled out the 2H'r for the faster clear speed. Damage was np at all, make sure everything is slowed and crippled if you have that capability in group.

The main room is where most will have trouble. If you're patient, the first 3-4 pulls path into a point you can single pull them. The main room itself you have two packs of three, and you'll likely have to kill at least one of them. The one on the left near corner is evens and ups. The one up near the platform is two regular and a beast of a red. I broke both, but really you just need to get to the platform, which is a two-pull that you have to thread the needle with to get it to the near right. If you can do that, you can pull the platform guy through. The note can actually spawn on the platform behind the mob(so you have to kill it), or behind the platform on the ground and you need to carefully go around once the center pull is clear.

Every three pull had at least one even con in it, so if you need to break it and you're rolling with an enchanter... pull to ZI, mezz as its running at you, and zone fast. Zone back in to one mob. Also make sure that the enchanter is the same level as the requester as the mobs will likely be based on either the requesters level or whatever the highest level is in group, and if the requester or someone is quite a bit higher than say the enchanter, you might cause them to be unmezzable. I only had to root/zone exactly two mobs, but then I also broke both 3-spawns in the main room. Also realize you may not get the two pieces you need before the platform, but you should. If not, clear more.

The bokons that pop after you have all 3 pieces... I only had to take the first two together, so save discs for that(or a big red if you need to kill it), although if you have the enc mezz it should work. After that, simply wait for them to path clear and pull single when able.

Also realize I had a dedicated healer in group, and I've beefed her up almost as much as the Warrior. As such, I can Mending *a lot*, and force a twinheal now that she's got Frost Gift. The first death was a bad multipull. The second was a glorious multipull that got all but one mob dead. It happens.

I'll take the win in an hour, 18 and do better next time :>. Either way, this isn't one you're just going to steamroll, you have to think your way through it based on the tools at your disposal.

Edit: Also, Bloodsucker dropped to the two-box for the first time tonight, so the gear has pretty much caught up to the level. Those fights are still quite long, simply based on how much hp you have to chew through, and the fact i'm doing it in 2-box. I've taken to tanking them 2H'd to speed things up, particularly when under defensive.
  11. Fian Augur

I haven't read all 7 pages of responses, but I wanted to respond to the original post. The post compared EQ to WOW and said that WOW power to MOB power scales about the same, while in EQ mob power scales more quickly. I don't think that is true. After the WOW revamp, WOW mobs are very easy which is also true for mobs in EQ in the low levels. They then toughen up some, and then the power relationship between player and mob remains about the same with some exceptions depending on the expansion.

However, the difference between EQ and WOW is that in EQ, the expectation is it takes a group to kill one mob, while in WOW the expectation is that a player is stronger than a single mob. You can argue whether that is a good idea, but EQ is unique in that regard. You can play just about any other MMORPG to get a WOW like experience, but if you want a group centric game, EQ is unique.

EQ has changed over the years, and they have tried to make it easier to get through the low levels with OP mercs and defiant gear, but there is a point where you are going to need the help of others. My advice, find an active guild, and make some friends. Once you get to level 80, join any 110 group that lets you come along so you can get experience and get to 110 where finding a group is easier. Or join one of the classic servers where low level grouping is easier to find.
  12. Fian Augur

You definitely don't need Lesser Spirit Armor achievement to buy gear from vendors. You need to complete the group quest Into the Temple, and maybe the solo quests before Into the Temple (which only takes about 15 minutes).
  13. Ebine Augur

I am on progression now. When I first came back at 75 I had a hard time doing anything. I went back to SoD and did all the hunter achievements to get the paragon armor. I think its about 3 expansions after SoD that started giving you items for completing the hunter achievements. I did wind up sub as I needed real T5 mercs. Once I was in full SoD hunter achievements armor I was fine. Made it up to lvl 88 before I went to progression.
  14. Quill Augur

Vendor. Singular. There is just one in Health that isn't open to me yet.

The two aug vendors in Health open once you win Into The Temple (b).

The Group Armor vendor in Health with the T2 visibles requires at least Lesser Spirit Armor, and likely more. I seem to remember something about not being able to buy that stuff until all the progression was done, but its been a while.

T2 non-visibles you gain through chests at the end of missions.
  15. Ceffener Augur

2 seconds googling:

“The group armor is faction based and you only get faction from killing mobs in Plane of Hate revisited and Plane of Fear.

Edit: You aren't missing much by not having it though. Crypt hunter drops from the named are better and less of a headache to get.

Just look it up instead of guessing ;).
  16. Quill Augur

Hopped on the main, which has all of TBM done, and that vendor isn't open. So confirmed. Not that it matters that much, the T2 variations aint all that. As you said, certainly not worth the time factioning.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think that vendor was intended for people who participated in those raids, but didn't want to do any of the TBM progression. So, it's better, but just by a little bit. Basically, a parallel way to gear up in TBM.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those raids ALSO scale as low as level 75?
  18. Quill Augur

That they scaled is my understanding.

One thing I do love about TBM HA's is that they reward you for tactical play and punish you if you come at them in any way wrong.

Example... We Make Our Own Rewards. Normally this is easy breezy except for the boss, but the government offices had a pack of 3 out front and another 3 pack directly inside. The margins were too close on the packs, so I was like.. fine... i'll go around the back. Killed mobs along the way and then broke into the building from the rear where there weren't 3 packs.

And if you play this game long enough, you'll also know the difference between a 3-pack and two mobs that have a single close. The difference can be a matter of feet. Or a single that can be threaded by others. That type of stuff you can use to pick rooms apart and get what you need, rather than trying to go running into brick walls. If you think your way through it, you'll have a better go of it.