Leveling my new druid

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by aindriuc, Jan 12, 2018.

1. aindriuc Elder

Hi,

I made a level 1 halfling druid named Erkas on AB, because I live in Europe.

My objective is to level this toon up, as fast as possible, either soloing / moloing on a gold account and using autogrant AA. I hope to be able to accomplish my objective.
    Mostly, I am following Almar's guide, but it's quite old and some bits probably aren't suitable for a druid. I'm hoping I could get some more guidance.

I decided on a druid because one suggested a druid was an easier class to level up because of particular techniques a druid can use. I hear terms like quad / quint / root rot / charm / kiting and would like to try them out if they are optimal leveling path. I am still researching these techniques.

Here are some links to these techniques:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Quad_Kiting
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Root-rotting
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:_Quint_Kiting

Firstly, I got out of the gloomingdeep tutorial and bound in PoK. I then sold a krono on AB for 2.8 mil, so I don't have to farm money while leveling up and this will make it quicker for me. I also got some bags in Akanon.

Here is my leveling so far with a gold account tank merc. This is based on Almar's old guide.

Level 2-6: Kobold camps in Steamfont.
    Level 6-9: Animals in Cresent Reach near bridge
    Level 9-14: Gnolls and skeletons across the water near bridge
    Level 14-18: Rats near PoK book in Blightfire Moors
    Level 18-23: Mucktail gnolls near cave in Blighfire Moors
    Level 23-35: Wasps in Blightfire Moors
    Level 35-37: Bears in Goru'kar Mesa
    Level 37-40: Mesa Snakes in Goru'kar Mesa
    Level 40-44: Mesa Recluse Spiders + Diamondback snakes in Goru'kar Mesa
    Level 44-48: Dromreks in Goru'kar Mesa

So far, I have been using my tank merc to kill mobs. I am not sure if this is the optimal route to take, but it seems fast at lower levels. What level should I start using the druid techniques at? Is it better than the moloing?

I stopped at 40 to train my spell skills and collect all my spells and deck myself out in defiant gear from the bazaar. I now have 18 hours played on the character. A lot of that time was spent getting my spell skill high.

At this point in time, I checked my spells and I have snares, dots, and AE nukes.

I also have a few mana regen pieces I picked up.

I would like to know where is good now to go at around 48-50. Almar's guide says Plane of Hate is the next place to visit, but I tried there and there are cleric mobs that agro that my merc tank can't burn down and I don't like the place.

Any advice welcome on how to proceed.

Thanks,
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You could also go to the achievement tab on your character inventory screen down at the bottom and follow the guide there. It takes you thru each zone.

A better option is to go see Franklin Teek right outside the lobby in POK. He hands out daily hot zones. They can be done once a day starting at level 20. If you go this route then get the one below your level, the one that is your level and if you can then also get the higher one. If you only get one and do it then you have to wait till the next day to get another one, even if different level. This way you have 3 you can do in one day. These are "hot zone" as such give you extra exp and there is a nice aug that drops in all these zones. They do not change daily - only when server resets.

I sometimes will pull up the in game map and click on upper right where it says zone guide. Then I look thru on the column on the far right for level range and go explore.

No matter which way I use to level I always check the zone quests from Alla page to see if there is any cool items to get like familiars or charm or whatever.

Tank merc is right for druid, you are a healer mostly.

This may also help: http://thedruidsgrove.org/forums/index.php

Lots of guides are old but still apply. Not much has changed in the lower levels in EQ.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The suggestion of using your /ach window to track your progress and suggest the next quests/zones to work in is spot-on. Look under the Hero's Journey category.

I find Teek's daily tasks to be "hit or miss". Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are absolutely not worth the time (when compared to just following the Hero's Journey tasks).

But the real thing I wanted to bring to your attention was the state of the server you chose:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...erver-free-transfers-to-vox-available.243174/

Since you only have 18 hours played on the server, it's still relatively early and not too late to consider a different server (I would suggest looking for a populated Live server, such as Bristlebane).
  4. Gana Augur

I just did the same thing with a Gold wizard (with merc tank) two days ago on Luclin, but since the Tutorial was down, I just went to Crescent Reach. Unfortunately, I didn't sell a krono, so plat is still a concern for me (I sold some global TS drops to get money for my spells).

Level 1-4 on spiders, drakes, etc just outside the gates.
    Level 4-8 on bear cubs, pumas and drakes across the bridge
    Level 8-11 in Puma caves
    Level 11-18 in Bear caves
    Level 18-24 on Mucktail Gnolls in Blightfire
    Level 24-38 (currently) in LGuk

I plan to stay in LGuk til about 45 or so (I just made it to safe hall), then move to Howling Stones (can enter at 40 without key on normal servers, iirc). Can probably do that all the way to 60...at least 55. Original EQ and Kunark mobs have lower HPs, so I try to stick there as much as possible. After leaving HS, I think Crypt of Decay or Plane of Innovation or Wall of Slaughter. Just bridging the gap til Dragonscale Hills Farm (or bugs near windmill) til about 75. Once I hit 70, if the xp is slow, I will head to Direwind or Icefall til about 80. From there, oceangreen hills/village or blackburrow til 85ish, then head to HoT lower to do the kill missions in the CY (or possible The Well for the kill missions). After that, it's Grounds, Dead Hills, Shards Landing missions, wherever I can kill and get gear. =)

Interested to know what path you take.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

Remember, what Teek gives are hot zones, meaning bonus xp. The task is just a little extra. Generally good idea is taking top two tasks available, hitting lower one, then going to higher zone doing task there and staying. As a druid, you have insane mobility, especially since Ring of Knowledge plops you right in front of Teeks.
  6. aindriuc Elder

Hi. Thanks for the tips. I read the article about AB server and it says that there is something wrong with it, so I decided to reroll on a different server - possibly FV. Thanks for the advice.

Also, I didn't know you could take three Teeks quest at once.
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

The kill tasks crom teek if gotten all at once is the way to do it. Even doing the lower lvl ones for the gear to tribute/sell.

Also in those zones are typically and zone random aug that will drop. If you team up with a friend the kill tasks go even faster. Druid class is great and tons of utility! Once in the 45 range start looking for epic drops and doing some of that while you get exp in those older zones.

Last but not least, HAVE FUN!!!
  8. Scorrpio Augur

Oh yeah and as a druid you got tracking to find the mobs you need to kill for the task. With my team including a druid, I am sooo spoiled always having ports, evac, falcons, tracking, CotH and skin...
  9. aindriuc Elder

Hey everyone,

I rerolled on FV server and I'm quite happy with the new server. It's more populated.

I got my new druid, Erkas, to level 48 again. This time I hit Stonehive at 30 and got a good few levels.

I also did the three daily quests like you said.

I am also using Almars guide and the ingame zone guide to visit the relevant zones.

I know druids are more suitable for outdoors really but I can molo in the dungeons a bit.

I do notice the moloing is slowing down quite a bit now. The mobs have bigger HP pools and the tank merc is slow to take them down. I damage shield the tank and then dot the mobs and nuke and the hps drop faster. Plus, they give less experience then the early levels per kill.

I do really like druids. They are a nice class like you said.

I am just wondering if I'll need to swap in with new techniques when the tank merc start loses power. I believe Almar says in his guides that around fifty, you really need to start holding your own as a class and player and be dishing out the dps.

I just worry as I level more, I'll have to change strategies because the tank merc starts to get worse eventually. That's why I originally wrote this thread. I was looking for ways to get to the objective.
  10. Tulvin New Member

Yeah, just try some quadkiting, with KEI and the new mana regen on defiant and offline mana regen this should be fund and good experience and less downtime.

And its really funny to pack a bunch of mobs and run around in cirlces to get them in one stack. Just try it.
  11. Yruc Augur

Hopefully at some point the problems with AB will be fixed (they said they are rolling out small incremental changes to see if that fixes AB)

See if you can find a guild to help you level up (lots are friendly to new players) also may want to consider "boxing" a 2nd toon. This will give you 1 more player to control and an extra merc to help at the lower levels.

Or if you are a paid account try out Phinigel or Agnarr the TLP servers. (Phinigel will have all expansions unlocked at some point and is currently on Dragons of Norrath expansion. Agnarr will on have expansion until Lost Dungeons of Norrath and then no more expansions and is currently on Velious)

I'm currently playing on Agnarr and while it does have shelf life, it does bring back feelings of what it was like back in the day and able to group with people :)