leveling and gear progression (HELP!!!)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tiffy31, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Tiffy31 Elder

Right now I am planning on starting on a fresh server and 3 boxing. Probably going to do Warrior/Enchanter/Druid, and if I add a 4th it will be Mage. Its been a while since I played on a fresh server with normal rules. In the past I have always played on FV. I always knew where my gear upgrades dropped; they dropped in the Bazaar. I do have 3 mil plat from selling off Kronos but is plat even useful on a regular server? I realize I can purchase Defiant, which will last me for a good bit of the leveling process, but what then? The earliest I know where to go for gear is level 90 and camping Shard's Landing for T1 RoF drops. Pretty much everything between OOW up to RoF is new to me.

I guess second part of my question will coincide with "where do I go for gear" and thats where do I go to level? Sure there are hot zones but we all know sometimes they arent all that "hot". My typical non-PL leveling path for all my characters is
    1-8: Field of Bone
    8-16: Kurns Tower
    16-23: Paudal
    24-45: What ever the hotzones are
    45-60: Charasis
    61-70: Plane of Fire

I think last time I played 70s could group with max level so at this point i just had a friend PL me. Once I got to 100 I just PLed all my alts so I never had to worry about leveling. So pretty much from 70-90 I have absolutely no idea where to go for exp, or gear. Sorry this was kinda long but I tend to get frustrated when I dont know what to do next. I like to have everything planned out before I get to that point.

Thanks
  2. Graymane84 Journeyman

Your leveling path depends on what you want to accomplish. The fastest way to get there without a lot of moving around is a combination of TSS zones (CR, Moors, Mesa, etc). If you are sick of that path, pretty much anything else will work, especially with boxes. If you want to group (which boxing sounds like you don't) you will also have to do that TSS progression as that is where most people are. You have a good box combo although you are lacking DPS. You will probably want some DPS mercs with that setup. 3 boxing is great for that as you can go with 3 mercs. You didn't say if your accounts are F2P or all access? Make sure you have at least 1 paid account otherwise you will have serious issues tanking once you hit the 60s. You can merc tank with J1 and higher quite far but if your warrior is F2P, you are going to have real issues later on.

For gear, you just level. Defiant drops everywhere and is far superior to anything else. You will get missing pieces for bazaar or the PoK merchants for jewelry. If you follow the Heroic Journey quest line, you will get defiant-equiv gear including jewelry.

40-60 things open up a lot more with a lot of different combos. Most are going to include various Luclin zones (Dawnshroud, AC, etc). Once you hit 65, you can do DSH farm quests. That will take you to 70-75. At that point, things will slow down depending on whether you are F2P or not. Mobs start hitting a lot harder. You will want to do dailies as much as possible (skip the 65 one) in places like bloodfields, wos, undershore, etc.

You can stay in defiant pretty much till 80 (ending in elegant). Then get the Tier 1 HOT, VOA, and ROF drops (Abstruse, Rustic, Fear Touched). A lot of that you would get via the bazaar.
    Borek-VS likes this.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

I'll add a couple of spots for grinding: the Hole, Split Paw, Griegs End, City of Mist.

Don't forget the Franklin Teek daily quests, both for Defiant rewards and for the generous experience they give (better at higher levels than at lower).

Focus on the warrior and AC augs for gear.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

5. Goranothos Augur

Good advice given.

Just wanted to pop in and say that even on FV you don't have to buy all your gear in the baz. I play Mage/Shammy (101/100) and yea, most of the mage gear comes from baz, but at least half the Shammy gear is T4 RoF group gear that I have two boxed, just killing nameds. I haven't even taken them to CoTF yet.
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

FV is a double edged sword. On the one hand you get access to buy gear, on the other hand that can make it feel pointless to grind out the different tiers.

Personally, I just stick to Tutorial > Crescent Reach > Blightfire Moors > Gorukar Mesa up until about 50 as my preferred leveling path. Mostly because there is almost no travel involved. The tutorial gear + quested Crescent Reach gear + random defiant drops will last you until 65. You shouldn't need to purchase anything but spells.
  7. Kindred Journeyman

How do you fight in gorukar, even following almar guides, it was uneven at best, and I had to fight for certain spots
  8. Borek-VS Augur

What level?

The answer is "easily", I suspect :). Goru'kar Mesa covers a wide level range, (35-50), and all spots are easy enough at the right level. Note that you can stay in Blightfire until 40 - 45 easily.
  9. Iila Augur

The HoT T1 armor becomes available at 80, that's the first time you can easily get something better than defiant. After that, every 5 levels the next expansion's T1 armor will be equippable.

Once you're in that range, HoT is a pretty good expansion to spend some time in. The named mobs are pretty easy and there's a lot of decent augs to help fill in slots without slumming. Mostly skip VoA, then move into RoF with Shard's Landing.