Level 4 Rogue - Luclin

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Blueberrymuffin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Blueberrymuffin New Member

Oh no where do I start!

My best friend's uncle got me into playing this old game on Xbox called Morrowind.
    I made some comments about how different it is compared to Skyrim and newer RPGs. He told me about an old game called
    EverQuest. Long story short, he said if I could get to level 60 in EQ, I could probably finish Morrowind.

I like a challenge so, yesterday I downloaded the game and made my character on the server Luclin - Stromm. She is a
    dark elf rogue named Blueberryninja.

I'm grateful for being in a place in the game that kind of teaches me things but, I'm still so overwhelmed.
    I finally figured out how to put my skills onto the bar with numbers but some of my skills confuse me.
    Sneak doesn't level up while I'm using it and its really hard to get it to work. I have a skill for swimming as well.

Leveling up seems to happen by killing monsters and doing quests for people. There are windows all over the place that I can
    move around and sort of get them out of the way.

Yikes... I have so many questions I'm not sure where to start. I did get the ability to throw rocks but I'm not really sure
    that it does much. I have this healer that follows me around and I have been getting armor pieces from this tall cat lady.

Am I doomed? I think I'm doomed.

Um, help?!
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

--Welcome--
    I play on Luclin and can help you some. My forum name is my character name.

--Tutorial--
    Firstly, it sounds like you are in the tutorial which is good. It'll walk you through the basics. NPCs giving you armor will work you through training quests that will teach you the basics and earn a set of armor for you. Press "I" to open you inventory and put the armor in the right slot (drop it in the center and if you don't have that slot it will go to the right slot).

The character following you around is your mercenary. It's free right now but will eventually cost you in game currency. You might prefer a tank merc over a cleric at the earliest levels (so you can backstab), but eventually you will need a cleric merc or a group.

The tutorial quests cover this. Read them all the way through and you can go back to the NPCs and they will explain it again if needed.

--Skills--
    Lets start with those skills. Don't worry about things like swimming. Every time you get in the water your swim skill will go up and you will swim faster. Yes, you can drown if you stay under water.

Sneak is a skill that has a chance to skill up each time you use it. Click it frequently when you are just walking around for extra skill ups. As your skill goes up, your failures will go down. Sneak is just a skill invisibility for rogues that can fail (just like the low level spell mages get) but you will need to sneak to backstab.

Yes you can throw rocks, don't worry about that too much right now.

--leveling--
    Yes, you level up by gaining experience. That comes in the forum of killing mobs and completing quests.

Everquest is a group based game so it will be important to try to find a group. You may find that challenging since most people are in the upper levels. Rogue will be a class that will be challenging to solo. For example, you can only backstab once when soloing, but in a group a tank (warrior, knight or paladin) can keep the mob's attention so you can stay behind and keep backstabbing.

The tutorial is designed to solo, so don't worry about being there alone.

--All those windows--

EQ is a game that started in 1999 and thus it is built like a fantasy chat room. Everything scrolls through those chats. You start with a single chat window titled main chat that is just a mess.

You don't need to change that chats but this is my suggestion.

- First I would suggest you start getting all that chaos under control. Right click on the top of the main chat window and select new chat window.
    - Next right click on this new chat window and go down to filters. Select group, say, tell and chat -> all. That will get all of your conversations with people into a spot that wont get spammed out by combat and spells. You will see that you have the ability to get what stuff you want to go where. That's up to you.

/g is group
    /say is say
    /t NAME is a tell
    /# is a chat (so like /1 is probably the new player channel)

So if you join a group, you will need to write "/g hello" to talk your group. There are lot of / commands, and as long as you can talk to people in the game they will help you with those.

I prefer to use tell windows, and you might too to make it easy to maintain those in game chats. If you want tell windows, use alt+o to open your options, and select "use tell windows" from the general tab.

--Don't go--

If you find those low level groups challenging to find, there are some options for you, so ask about those before you give up on the game. It's much more social than what you are used to and that is quite rewarding compared to skyrim, but can also cause frustration in low population areas.
    Modef likes this.
  3. Blueberrymuffin New Member

Thank you so much for your help!

I will set up all of the windows the way you suggested it should help.

I'm stubborn so I have no plan on leaving the game it has something I really like, I m not sure what it is.

I'm level 5 now and I have lots of armor now.
    Modef likes this.
  4. TYBARIS Journeyman

I also play on Luclin shoot me a tell sometime a may have some stuff laying around.
    name = Tybaris
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Some thoughts..
    -> Skills go up by using them, but unlike TES, you do not gain XP for raising skills. Your skills are capped by level. Generally you get to raise them by 5 points every time you level again.
    -> Sneak here makes you invisible to NPC's from their rear flank. It can be used for some handy tricks like buying or selling to merchant NPC's that normally won't talk to you due to race/religion.
    -> as a ROGUE, you can Sneak, and HIDE at the same time. If you do that, and both are successful, your invisible (to almost everything! Its better then the Invisible spell.)
    -> You'll start to see NPC's drop "Defiant" gear. This will be your primary source of equipment leveling up.
    -> In Plane of Knowledge there is a npc called Franklin Teek who has daily quests that offer gear and a lot of XP as a reward. Do those every day! These are tied to "hotzones" that offer increased experience and often unique drops! Read more here.

Hope you enjoy the game, and keep playing past 60. There really isn't anything else like Everquest out there.
  6. Blueberrymuffin New Member

Read some about guilds on this website. Can I join one as a free player? Should I join one? I'm now level 9 and slowly getting the hang of how my skills work and i'm slowly leveling my sneak skill. I also have a bow and arrows now
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

8. xmPradah Not a dude

Don't just join a guild to join a guild - you should look into them and see if your playstyle and desires are in alignment with theirs. Guilds can be great, but they can also be - not so great.

Make sure you're using your HIDE skill, as well. You have to be standing still to hide (can't be running/walking) but it IS the other half of your Sneak skill and they are both very useful as a Rogue. Once hidden successfully, you can then use sneak to move around and basically be invis to most creatures - "MOST" - some can and do see through it.

I don't remember what level you get pick pocket, but skill that up when you're able to as well. I created a macro pretty early on to allow me to skill up hide/sneak/pick pocket during combat to max it out pretty quickly.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes, you should join a guild. You will get a lot of help and information from a guild and is a source to find groups. As a FTP (free to play) you can't use general chat which cuts into your ability to talk to people. A guild can help bridge that gap. You probably wont have much luck with that until you make it to the Plane of Knowledge (Leave tutorial, cresaent reach, blightfire moors, plane of knowledge book).

Speaking of those directions, you might want to google brewalls maps.

I think an option for a guild is black dragon legion. I'm not sure what all guilds are available but ask around for a casual / family style guild with an active lower level player base.

At the upper end of things I think the guild you pick matters a lot more since that is where much of your grouping and all of your raiding comes from. As a new FTP I think any place with an active group of people will be worth the company.
  10. Blueberrymuffin New Member

I'm now level 10 but i am having trouble on my last quest where you have to kill the overlord kobold in the little fortress down in a cavern surrounded by water. I was trying to find a stratagy to get him by himself without his friends but the one time i did i couldn't kill him fast enough before he friends started coming back to life.

The chat channel I can use in the game is really quiet. It feels like I am playing a single player game like Elder Scrolls even if I do see other players run around.

I wouldn't join a guild just to join a guild but some people told me guilds can be bad. I guess they had a terrible experience or three.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

You might not be able to get him alone. I think you can stay in the expansion until 12 so you might need to get there before you can molo (merc + solo) him. The tutorial was a lot busier when it was built so some of the quests might have been intended for a group. A lot of us box to help fill the gaps in the player base. You will likely struggle with this for a while since there's nothing in place to bridge the gap from the bottom to the top.

What hours do you usually play? I haven't seen you on.

I think at level 4 you can join just about any guild you find. If they treat you right, then stay. If they don't, then leave. You have no obligation to them if they are inappropriate or unhelpful. Just don't take anything from the guild bank if you are not committed to the guild. I don't know why people would tell you not to join a guild. You aren't marrying it.