Level 103 Noob mag questions

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kinadafz, Sep 28, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

I've posted a thread on my box setup, but the more advice I get, the more it sounds like I just need to learn my classes and play them better instead of changing the classes around.

My setup is:
    105 war
    104 monk
    103 mag
    102 zerker
    101 bard
    cleric merc

Now, i'm thinking about tossing in a shaman for the monk, or, tossing in a shaman for the mag and have the mag outside group. but, for the sake of this discussion, I'd like to "learn to mag" for my team.

I will be doing 95% group content with 5% older raids (another bonus reason for the shaman).

What I'd like to know are 3 scenarios:
    1) What should my main "assist" macro be?
    2) What are my "burns"
    3) What are my "spams"

For my mag, I have the following on my assist
    /assist tank
    /pet attack
    /cast Blistersteel Malosenia
    /cast Fickle Magma
    /cast Spear of Blistersteel

Most of the time, the mob is dead shortly after the spear cast. If not, i'll toss in a quick Searing Sands to help finish the mob off.

If, for some reason, the mob lasts longer (sometimes randomly i'll get a mob that takes forever to kill, not sure what is going on, probably timing of my spams), i'll cycle Fickle Magma and Spear until mob is dead.

I am never below 90% mana, which makes me believe I'm doing something wrong as everyone says Mag's are mana hogs.

What should my assist key macro be?

Next are the "burns"
    For burns, admittenly, all I do is click a bunch of crap. But, it generally is always swarm pet, servant pet, frenzied burnout (if up), servant of ro (if up), bp clicky, primary clicky (crit chance increase thing), improved twincast, a focus AA (don't remember name). Then, I do the following:
    AA Malo
    Fickel Magma
    Storm of Many (most the time my other toons have swarm pets up for named also)
    Fickle Magma
    Spear of Blistersteel

repeat until dead.

Spams: I have none, maybe frenzied burnout.

So, explain to me everything I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing please.
  2. Scorrpio Augur

IMHO your issue is your pace. You mentioned a number of times you split things with monk. From my general experience, it can be a fairly slow process that lets group med up in between. I box chanter and druid and pull rather recklessly, often have 3-4 mobs in camp, and usually prep next mob while current one is finished off by DoTs. The druid consistently runs low on mana. If I have to work with unmezzables (giants, burinai) and have to split via pacify or punt-and-forget, the pace is slower and no mana issues.

You might want to give some thought to having proper CC in the group. In most of EoK, respawn rate is quite insane.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mage-dps-looking-to-improve.238877/

Here is the link to the mage discussion I was talking about in the other thread. Some of these guys know wtf they are talking about way better than I will even pretend. You will need to get to 105 on your mage to get full use of all this but as stated before mages are truly one of the worse classes in game in terms of mana. If you are playing one as a main it certainly will be much better but as a box its easy to forget about things like mana recovery tools or miss using them at the optimal moment. As far as advise goes read the posts there and it should help you a ton.
  4. kinadafz Augur

Thanks for the tips. I'm ok with my pulling speed as generally, I log in and am very casual. When I burn a lesson it gets a little faster, and I only pull with monk when I need a split. And, even then, he casts Ecco to mean mobs and I just pull one on war.

That thread is great, I skimmed it real quick and will read more in a bit. My first thought though is it was for longer, sustained dps for soloing or raiding. Example, casting servant pet. That should never be cast by me because mobs dead in 30 sec. named, yup

There is other good info though and I'm not seeing anyone do the same thing I do, which means I need to at least change my spell order. Is the fickle line never used by anyone? I used it to get the chance for DMg bonus on next spell always.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

except now there is a passive AA where you can redirect your summoned pets to a new target. I always cast my summoned pets and have them keep attacking new targets until they poof
  6. kinadafz Augur

What is that AA? That would make it viable for my grouping for sure. Cast Servant, nuke, nuke instead of nuke, nuke ,nuke
  7. Piemastaj Augur

Pet Discipline Rank 4 allows you to redirect your Swarm pets.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

The last AA that does it is not auto-granted. Working on that single point brought me here to start my thread about advice at 103 as well. Look down a couple of threads. There's some good information in it.
  9. kinadafz Augur

Awesome, i'll check out the AA and the thread, I see it now, thanks !

What I'm gathering, however, is that no one uses the fickle line. I thought the increase in damage on next spell casted would be something good, but as proven by all the vet mag's, it is not. So, that spell gets nixed.

Next up for the chop is my Blistersteel Malosenia cast, the first one. I do this to combo malo and a nuke. No one uses this either, and I don't see malo being used at all on any group settings, so this one gets chopped.

What is left is just the two big nukes and servant line. So, I plan on doing the following

/assist tank
    /pet attack
    /pet swarm
    /pause whatever, /cast Spear of Blistersteel
    /pause whatever, /cast Bolt of Molten Shieldstone (replaced with spear once 105)

Then, after that is done, I'll have a multiband set up of those 3 spells that I will spam, or, if I'm lazy, just do the assist key again.

I see some people use rains, some don't. Thoughts on rain spells for group setting?
  10. kinadafz Augur

I played around with rains and they just didn't feel very powerful.

right now I changed my assist to the following:

Spear of Blistersteel
    Bolt of Molten Shieldstone
    Meteroic Bolt

It feels the same speed wise, but I know I must be doing a little more damage because I'm now in TDS Tier 3 zones, and I upgraded my zerker to gold (about 5k aa's on the upgrade). Before the two upgrades, I was about 8-9 nukes until mob is dead, now it's back to 3 or 4. Sometimes I get that mob with endless hps, either due to disc / AA timing or just a lot of hps, but mostly, it's 3-4 nukes and mob is dead.

Mind you, I'm not chain casting the nukes, it is on a timer. I could probably get 7 nukes off if I chain cast.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Rains are good if you are able to mass pull and tank/dps multiple mobs at a time. If you are single pulling they almost become more of a risk for your mage than anything. I use to use them but the issue is if a mob dies when the first wave comes down and the next mob is pulled and gets hit by the second or third wave before your tank has established agro your mage will instantly gain full hate. If you are doing older zones to farm crap beam and rain spells are amazing though. Mass pull and spam them (I like beam over rain but it is directional so make sure you park tank in front of mage).
  12. Macros New Member

Wait a sec...what do you meen you need to learn the classes?....you're lvl 100 plus with i am sure thousands of AA's and you have not figured out yet how to play them yet?
  13. Brohg Augur

Learning to box them efficiently is a horse of a different color, Macros.